Woman claims she paid more for coins than they were worth

JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
What a Rip Off !

But really, who is Shocked ?

When will people learn ?

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her lawyer might also add her teachers who did a very poor job.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Man I would love to know what coins she actually bought. The lawsuit is a terrible waste of time in my opinion.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shhhhh... Don't let them hear about the Michigan Law or Texas will be next! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shhhhh... Don't let them hear about the Michigan Law or Texas will be next! image >>

Don't you mean Minnesota?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man I would love to know what coins she actually bought. The lawsuit is a terrible waste of time in my opinion. >>

Unless her lawyers do this for a hobby, I assume they don't think so. They aren't likely to waste time and $$$ on a case they have little chance to win. They probably don't get paid [or paid very little] unless they win.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the law and our court system so much I pay higher taxes so that we can help the blind to see and also to help the stupid comprehend what genius is.

Buy from the U.S. Mint.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a car from a car dealer.

I went back a month later to sell him the same car back.

I was shocked to learn he would not give me the same amount that I had paid for it.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a car from a car dealer.

I went back a month later to sell him the same car back.

I was shocked to learn he would not give me the same amount that I had paid for it. >>

What does that have to do with the OP? If another party would buy it from you for that then you didn't get ripped. If you put it on CraigsList and 100 people look, but nobody buys then it's obviously overpriced. Did the dealer tell you it was a rare model when in fact it wasn't?

Right now JMBullion is selling 1 ounce AGEs for $1340-$1350 or thereabouts. If that boiler room place promises you some rare and valuable AGEs [or other gold coin/s] for $3500 each and all you get are common AGEs worth about $1350, wouldn't you believe that you were misled or lied to?

Of course we don't know what was promised or for how much and what was actually received.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She paid more than the coins were worth? REALLY?? I do this ALL THE TIME!! Should I get a lawyer? image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Shhhhh... Don't let them hear about the Michigan Law or Texas will be next! image >>

Don't you mean Minnesota? >>

Yeah! Them too! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>She paid more than the coins were worth? REALLY?? I do this ALL THE TIME!! Should I get a lawyer? image >>

Nah, you just need to have your head examined!image
  • Options
    I overpay for what I want also, lets make it a class action on all overpriced coins. Whos in?
  • Options

<< <i>I overpay for what I want also, lets make it a class action on all overpriced coins. Whos in? >>

I got a roll of silver eagles I'd let you have for $2500.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    If she was lied to and told that for example an AU 1921 Morgan is rare and worth $200 that is fraud. If I put that same coin up for sale with a $200 price tag on it and I bought without being lied to thats different.
  • Options
    Thomas is seeking actual and statutory damages, plus costs, pre- and post-judgment interest at the highest legal rate and other relief the court deems just.

She is paying and hoping that she wins as she is going after all the highest rates. I would say her representation is hoping for the best outcome in this. Should she win this could further legal president affecting pricing and the representation of coins in advertisements and other venues. This would also be of interest to any person who felt they paid to much for a coin or if the market took a downturn. This could further complicate any and all pricing on coins and start a National regulation on pricing. These vies may seem extreme but little things like this have caused big problems in the past.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thomas is seeking actual and statutory damages, plus costs, pre- and post-judgment interest at the highest legal rate and other relief the court deems just.

She is paying and hoping that she wins as she is going after all the highest rates. I would say her representation is hoping for the best outcome in this. Should she win this could further legal president affecting pricing and the representation of coins in advertisements and other venues. This would also be of interest to any person who felt they paid to much for a coin or if the market took a downturn. This could further complicate any and all pricing on coins and start a National regulation on pricing. These vies may seem extreme but little things like this have caused big problems in the past. >>

Some PI attorney with no work is taking this case on a flyer.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>Thomas is seeking actual and statutory damages, plus costs, pre- and post-judgment interest at the highest legal rate and other relief the court deems just.

She is paying and hoping that she wins as she is going after all the highest rates. I would say her representation is hoping for the best outcome in this. Should she win this could further legal president affecting pricing and the representation of coins in advertisements and other venues. This would also be of interest to any person who felt they paid to much for a coin or if the market took a downturn. This could further complicate any and all pricing on coins and start a National regulation on pricing. These vies may seem extreme but little things like this have caused big problems in the past. >>

People can sell stuff for any price they want to as long as they aren't misrepresenting what they are selling. Things like 1995-W proof ASEs have an established market value well above what other W minted proof ASEs sell for. To say that 1994-W proof ASEs are worth $50K because a 95 sold for $80K+ is fraud.
  • Options
    This is a case where it would be nice if cell phones had a call record feature that one could activate BEFORE one answered the call.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a case where it would be nice if cell phones had a call record feature that one could activate BEFORE one answered the call. >>

Actually most cell phone do have that option, just most dont know how to make it work because it is not used very often. All I have to do is push one button on my Note3 and it starts recording.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a case where it would be nice if cell phones had a call record feature that one could activate BEFORE one answered the call. >>

They do, my daughter just downloaded one that records all incoming calls automatically.

She did a simple search on google to find it.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    For iPhone theres an app called "Call Recorder" that works really well. Most of them are simply using the conference call feature. You call the recording device first (probably an answering machine) and then you "add" a third party to the conversation - your intended subject.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    W/O knowing what coins were purchased its hard to form an opinion.

If i claim i paid more for my house than its worth can i sue my realtor?

BT&C
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>W/O knowing what coins were purchased its hard to form an opinion.

If i claim i paid more for my house than its worth can i sue my realtor? >>

…you can sue anybody you want in reality image

Erik
  • Options
    With the down turn in the market we have lost 35,000.00 in value in our home. It would be interesting to sue to get out from under it as we have really wanted to move but are stuck now as we dont have the money for a down payment and the negative equity.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody here live in Beaumont, TX?

The cause of action would seem to be this:

<< <i>The defendant breached an expressed warranty by representing to the plaintiff she would receive particular types of rare and valuable coins, the lawsuit states. The representations were entirely false as the purported rare coins woefully failed to conform to the defendant’s representations. >>

If in fact they promised her, say, a Top Pop Morgan and sold her an MS63 dog, there MIGHT be a case. But we would need to see the complaint to figure out what is really being alleged.

Anyway:

172nd Civil District Court, Honorable Donald J. Floyd, Presiding
    Court Phone Number: (409) 835-8485
    Jefferson County Courthouse
    1085 Pearl Street
    Beaumont, TX 77701

The docket is not available on the internet, but there is a public access terminal in the courthouse - printing is charged by the page...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

<< <i>

They do, my daughter just downloaded one that records all incoming calls automatically.

She did a simple search on google to find it.

bobimage >>

I have a plain ol phone so not really sure if I have it. I guess I could read the booklet.
  • Options

<< <i>W/O knowing what coins were purchased its hard to form an opinion.

If i claim i paid more for my house than its worth can i sue my realtor? >>

Did you buy it over the phone? Did you not get an appraisal?
  • Options
    Nobody told me I'd lose money paying more than face value for it. But I never promised anyone would make money paying more than face value for it, either.

• Options

image Yup, your right.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>I overpay for what I want also, lets make it a class action on all overpriced coins. Whos in? >>

Sign me up!!
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how what she paid compares to fair prices like CW Trends. I hate it where someone writes an article like that and does not give specifics or even a percentage of how her portfolio compares to a price guide like CU or CW Trends.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how what she paid compares to fair prices like CW Trends. I hate it where someone writes an article like that and does not give specifics or even a percentage of how her portfolio compares to a price guide like CU or CW Trends. >>

+1.

that and a time frame. i've watched some sales results give the tide a run for its money. some days they're up, some days they're down and the differences in percentages can be vast.

i think the best argument is, if they firm legitimately sold something for just stupid profit (this is against the buyer), well above what anyone else could dream of getting would be simple, "if you are willing to spend so much for your item(s), why didn't you do some research or learn before you buy and what guarantees the value(s) won't go back up?" (this point works especially well because obviously, they did or said something that led them to believe they paid too much after they purchased. sounds like this behavior should have been done beforehand, not after.

isn't this the time for the group that likes quotes in latin, "caveat emptor"? - i think that is the apropos one for this situation.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, let me take a little different approach.

I see all the cynical obvious comments and cheap shots but..............if she was told that she was buying "genuinely rare" coins and instead was sold scrap silver and gold (as an example) then she was defrauded. If this was sold as an "investment", what that does is puts into the press a very negative story that harms any fair minded Dealer who deals with the public.

There's a huge difference between a Dealer making enough margin to put his kids through college and truly ripping someone off. The only "known" thing about this story is the lady is not a Numismatist. If I were a Dealer I'd have a keen interest in a story like this because it harms me indirectly.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy any coin from a home shopping channel and try to sell it within 90 years and see if you can get your purchase price back! If you're still breathing?? image

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Yet they allow the TV ads that describe the rarity of a real buffalo gold coin and how much they're in demand then sell a genuine copy plated in a few micrograms of gold with a numbered COA. They get away with it because some people think "your own copy of" means you get a real one and they don't know a microgram from a kilo. Hurry and buy it because we can't guarantee the price long since the gold value can go up so fast.

Ed
  • Options
    A man came into the shop today and asked me what a good investment coin was. I told him that's an oxymoron. I figured he was either a lawyer or a someone looking for a story to tell online, since he never bought anything. But, I did pay a buyer back his $44.98 on ebay today after he sent a coin back that my nephew marked "UNC" in an open auction on ebay, recently. I had to tell my nephew that UNC means UNCIRCULATED and implies there is a grade of mint state. Same as BU. He asked how he should describe it. I said, "don't call it UNC if it's Almost UNC"… just list the POS". Who cares , it's a Morgan Dollar ? It's worth a dollar.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man I would love to know what coins she actually bought. The lawsuit is a terrible waste of time in my opinion. >>

It looks like it might have been purchases based upon a monthly payment with the ultimate goal of more or less investing your money in rare coins.

I do not think that the lawsuit is frivolous since the woman obviously shared what she had been sent with someone who knew a thing or two about coins.

I wish her luck since whomever this is that she is suing, really needs to clean up their act either in the products they deliver or the wording on their customers contracts on what to expect for delivery of a specified product. I also see that it's an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) where the corporation can be held liable is favor is found for the plaintiff but not the owners or officers whose private holdings would be free from liability.

Of course I could have this all wrong since I don't practice law. But then, I have stayed at a Howard Johnsons.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>She paid more than the coins were worth? REALLY?? I do this ALL THE TIME!! Should I get a lawyer? image >>

When you find one, let me know. We'll do a Class Action thing even though I don't really have any class. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Yet they allow the TV ads that describe the rarity of a real buffalo gold coin and how much they're in demand then sell a genuine copy plated in a few micrograms of gold with a numbered COA. They get away with it because some people think "your own copy of" means you get a real one and they don't know a microgram from a kilo. Hurry and buy it because we can't guarantee the price long since the gold value can go up so fast.

image >>

You can buy a real gold Buffalo from them.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For iPhone theres an app called "Call Recorder" that works really well. Most of them are simply using the conference call feature. You call the recording device first (probably an answering machine) and then you "add" a third party to the conversation - your intended subject. >>

If you record someone isn't it the law that they be warned in advance that they are being recorded?

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For iPhone theres an app called "Call Recorder" that works really well. Most of them are simply using the conference call feature. You call the recording device first (probably an answering machine) and then you "add" a third party to the conversation - your intended subject. >>

If you record someone isn't it the law that they be warned in advance that they are being recorded?

HH >>

I wondered about that as well, but warning them that the call is being recorded might skew their true intentions. Some info here
  • Options
    I hope she has to wait for Joan Langbord's case , first.
    -------------let me add:

I don't know the details, really. If she got taken with " a line of crap" then I'm for her and hope she is made whole. And the guy(s) who use "slick talk" to "rip" unsuspecting people will keep on doing it. I find it offensive, low life, rude, and a detriment to the hobby. (May their jockey shorts be infested with camel fleas from the mideast .).
    A lady in the shop once accused me of being "Fast Talking Eddie". But she still loves me. We just don't do business any more.
  • Options
    CollectorcoinsCollectorcoins Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I always took the advice of Mr. Bowers and it's worked well for me over the years. Buy the book first, then the coin.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, id love to know as well. just curious is all image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Remember beanie babies?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options

<< <i>

HH >>

It depends on the state
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, is eBay next?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    While I don't know the whole story, this lawsuit seems like a stretch. I wonder how much she will pay in lawyer
    fees? Can the cost of those fees be justified based on how much she paid for these coins? The only way I can imagine
    the math to work out is if she bought several hundred thousand dollars or more on these coins. If that is the case,
    why in the world would you not seek several opinions? sigh
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be good to get more details. I'm guessing this wasn't covered under their 100% satisfaction guarantee.
  • Options
    I sent an email to Marilyn Tennissen who is the editor of the setexasrecord.

Here is her reply.

We don't have any additional information, we use only a copy of the plaintiff's original lawsuit.
    I looked over it again and the allegations aren't specific.
    It says "Defendant AER (American Eagle Reserve) utilized a company-wide scheme that encouraged and promoted the use of unlawful and misleading selling points and sales tactics on unsuspecting individuals, including the plaintiff. Defendant AER misled plaintiff and induced her to buy coins that were worth substantially less than the amount plaintiff paid for them."
    Marilyn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file