Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Trueview of PL branch mint Trade Dollar

OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
I really enjoy finding coins that don't break the bank and aren't even close to condition census quality but are still just really attractive and eye appealing. This one fits the bill for me, recently trueviewed and presented here for discussion.

I'd like to thank Phil for the great shot of this one, I imagine it wasn't easy to capture. PL Trade Dollars are quite scarce and this one has a really neat look, with fairly mirrored surfaces especially at the perimeter.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive Trade Dollar. Nice acquisition.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an outstanding coin top to bottom.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not always about the grade. Great eye, as this coin has is all.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice Trade $1, Dan.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭
    Tons of eye appeal - Great TD!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Just a great example that shows people that choice for any given grade really matters more than any given grade save for point chasers.

The late S mint coins do tend to come proof like as it appears that the tatic of polishing the dies was coming into vogue that carried over into the Morgan series. There just isn't enough survivors of PL trade dollars to make it a speciality unlike Morgan's.
    here are a couple of my late branch mint PL coins none which are not as nice as yours .
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic!
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!!! I also like that au 1877 as well.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply a beautiful Trade Dollar, Dan. You've done it again!

I have an 1876-P that is PL, not sure how common that is. My 78-s DDR is "somewhat" PL.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    It's absolutely incredible; well done. I like the combination of the PL tendencies and the toning together.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like that coin a lot. very nice trade dollar. congrats!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the coin!
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    yes, very nice coin .
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet coin Dan, I liked it the first time I saw it.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin, regardless of grade.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent coin!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent pickup!

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    That is absolutely fantastic, what a beautiful coin.
  • Options
    Thanks to all. I'm most impressed that no one asked the grade. Good job everyone.

Crypto thank you for showing a few other PL examples. There aren't many out there. Most that I've seen have been P mint coins that are made from retired proof dies, or could be impaired proofs themselves.

Kaz, there are proof like 76p's out there although they aren't too common. Post a picture if you have one. Here's another PL trade dollar, a 76p that unfortunately had a rougher life and is not mint state. Still a fun coin to hold and still shows plenty of PL flash.

Here's another that with semi mirrored surfaces, although it's muted from a dip or two. Some cameo contrast remains and if you look closely you can see the die polish marks around the devices. (it was really over polished.)

• Options
    Sir I would like to thank you for sharing these with us you have made my day better. Now i must go to my sulking corner of a couple of minutes because I have no PL trade Dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Just a great example that shows people that choice for any given grade really matters more than any given grade save for point chasers.

The late S mint coins do tend to come proof like as it appears that the tatic of polishing the dies was coming into vogue that carried over into the Morgan series. There just isn't enough survivors of PL trade dollars to make it a speciality unlike Morgan's.
    here are a couple of my late branch mint PL coins none which are not as nice as yours .
    image >>

While the first coin is lovely, I don't think it would receive a PL designation (based on the images) if PCGS considered these coins for the PL designation. NGC does recognize PL coins, and I don't think they would place it in a PL holder either. Very nice coin!
  • Options

<< <i>NGC does recognize PL coins, and I don't think they would place it in a PL holder either. >>

I kind of doubt NGC would put any of these in PL holders, the pops for PL trade dollars at NGC Is something like 5 or 6 total for the series. I have a hunch that most of those are probably proofs and not business strikes anyway.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my 76-P, it is in an older ANACS holder and does not have an official PL designation, in fact I think the grade is AU something or other. as you can see the fields are pretty hairy but it has a lot of flash.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece OriginalDan, has a lot going for it. Sadly, I don't own a single TD.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC does recognize PL coins, and I don't think they would place it in a PL holder either. >>

I kind of doubt NGC would put any of these in PL holders, the pops for PL trade dollars at NGC Is something like 5 or 6 total for the series. I have a hunch that most of those are probably proofs and not business strikes anyway. >>

There are 25 listed in the NGC census for the series. Some of the pieces I have seen for sale lack the squared rims expected from a proof. I always find it hard to judge depth of mirrors based on photographs, but your coin in the original post looks like it would have a shot. I wish PCGS would start designating non-modern/non-Morgan Dollar coins as PL and DMPL. There are niche collectors, myself included, who actively pursue these.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    This one is in a PC63 holder. It's hard to tell due to the depth of the toning, but in hand it is deeply p/l.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Sweet coin! Congrats!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>

I kind of doubt NGC would put any of these in PL holders, the pops for PL trade dollars at NGC Is something like 5 or 6 total for the series. I have a hunch that most of those are probably proofs and not business strikes anyway. >>

There are 25 listed in the NGC census for the series. Some of the pieces I have seen for sale lack the squared rims expected from a proof. I always find it hard to judge depth of mirrors based on photographs, but your coin in the original post looks like it would have a shot. I wish PCGS would start designating non-modern/non-Morgan Dollar coins as PL and DMPL. There are niche collectors, myself included, who actively pursue these. >>

Proof quality is notoriously poor with trade dollars. Looking for diagnostics based off of production quality can be madding. Trade guys go off 75% die pairs. Of course there are examples of pairs being used for both proof and BS so that isn't full proof either.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful coin Dan. SO.........What's the grade????
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, Dan.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Exceptional eye appeal! Very,very nice! image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Grade? I would say its AU58 but I dont know enough about them.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... There just isn't enough survivors of PL trade dollars to make it a speciality unlike Morgan's. >>

Less survivors is a good thing in my book. I have been looking at PR trade dollars for about a year now. But with these beauties, I may need to expand my gaze to PL. Just wonderful!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Excellent photo of an extraordinary coin.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice TD's in this thread.... congratulations to those who own them...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file