Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stacks-Bowers Spam email

giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭
Got 3 spam emails from SB and was wondering if others got the same. Odd as i have never dealt or contacted them before or if i did it was a long time ago and dont remember. Wonder where they got it from? Also how low tech the "unsubcribe link" you have to send them an email to do so. and not automatic link 99.9% of other business.image

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got 3 spam emails from SB and was wondering if others got the same. Odd as i have never dealt or contacted them before or if i did it was a long time ago and dont remember. Wonder where they got it from? Also how low tech the "unsubcribe link" you have to send them an email to do so. and not automatic link 99.9% of other business.image >>

yes, i had problems with that as well. it sure is a pita.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    not only SPAM but they keep sending me those catalogs!!! They just go right into the recycle bag
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. On two e-mail addresses, one which hasn't been used with S-B in years.

Unsubscribe links (which generate an e-mail rather than bring you to a web page) don't work. Cannot unsubscribe via "My Account."

Par for the course at S-B IT I'd say.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Same here. On two e-mail addresses, one which hasn't been used with S-B in years.

Unsubscribe links (which generate an e-mail rather than bring you to a web page) don't work. Cannot unsubscribe via "My Account."

Par for the course at S-B IT I'd say. >>

Yes, I have had a similar experience with trying to unsubscribe from S-B emails. The CAN-SPAM Act requires, by law, senders of commercial email to allow one to unsubscribe. The fine for non-compliance is $16,000/email in violation. Perhaps someone from S-B should get on it before someone files a complaint.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received 3 on the 18th, but not 3 yesterday nor today. image They don't love me after all I do for them .... image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been in contact with S-B, and apparently, the unsubscribe button is now working.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been in contact with S-B, and apparently, the unsubscribe button is now working. >>

As of yesterday, their unsubscribe invokes an e-mail client, which is retarded in the extreme for
    technical reasons I won't go into. I will have to make a temporary config change in said client
    in order to unsubscribe. I guess I would expect nothing less from these guys. image
  • giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been in contact with S-B, and apparently, the unsubscribe button is now working. >>

Still not working. as of 11.27am pst

Guess SB nobody works on a Saturday not even for an email replyimage
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have ben spamming me daily on several different email accounts of mine, accounts that I didn't realized they had or were the ones I had given out for numismatics.

I have no recollections of buying anything from them in the last several decades.

Are they that desperate for business.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector who tries to leave no stone unturned in my pursuit of the finest coins in the series of my choice, I welcome any communications from top tier auction houses. Keep them coming!! Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Every answer here has a bias one way or another

No one mentions the 2-3 emails per day Heritage sends .. Tracked lots; end of auction results ETC.

Is there any difference?
    imageimage
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fadetoblack... I have bought many coins throughout the years through "spam" advertising. I get flooded with it nearly every day.

My "bias" is that I am OK with it. Your "bias" is that you are probably not OK with it.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one mentions the 2-3 emails per day Heritage sends .. Tracked lots; end of auction results ETC.

Is there any difference? >>

Yeah, I actually want the Heritage e-mails. image

I believe you can log in and set preferences on the types of e-mail you want to receive from Heritage.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Still not working. as of 11.27am pst

Guess SB nobody works on a Saturday not even for an email replyimage >>

it worked here as of 3 days ago. thank god and breakout the tylonol. anyone know how they got the emails to send all that stuff out?
  • giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭
    In concluding this after going back and fourth with a couple of emails.It was from tele trade about 3 years ago.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting twist

Had the SB site not been so messed up(it's a lot better now) would you have cared about the SB emails?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I was going to say it is teletrade but got beat to it. As they are fusing the systems I am sure they ran an emailer program and just let it rip, not a good, or was it as they are getting some free advertising here and can simply blame it on the system.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have a problem with it and love all the free books with nice pic, Nice to see all the Chinese coins going up in price. I just bought a big lot of Chinese $'s and they just sent me a Chinese book that every coin sold over book value. image Love it keep them coming.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file