Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does one find errors?

F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
Okay. So I often see errors on ebay such as missing clad layers, blank planchets, rotated dies, etc.

I wanted to ask, how often are errors found if one is looking? Because I've been looking through rolls, circulation coinage, and mint bags for quite some time and have yet to find anything truly substantial. Has anyone found any major errors looking through modern mint rolls or bags (not counting die cracks or DDOs DDRs or any doubling)? How many of you have honestly found a major error? Just curious. Thanx

-Stevo
Beware of the flying monkeys!
Aerospace Structures Engineer

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I found a sweet Kennedy error, but that was in a bag of Ikes from a major armored truck service, so good luck with that. >>

Hey you can't leave me hanging. What kind of error was it? image
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    I found 4 coins with small curved clips in a $50 mint sewn bag of Lincoln cents from the 1970's that I opened and searched. I also received a small broadstruck state quarter in change at a convenience store that looked like it had been previously sitting in the road and got run over several times.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I found a sweet Kennedy error, but that was in a bag of Ikes from a major armored truck service, so good luck with that. >>

Hey you can't leave me hanging. What kind of error was it? image >>

...if he told us...he would have to kill us...taking a major armored truck down is a thing that most wouldn't say a word about...even if it be on an Internet forum image

Erik
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Scarface Morgan I found on Ebay in January was a major find...
    It sold and then got resold and is now owned by a fellow formite.

The rotated die I found today was from a neighbor...He had about 150 common date silver dollars
    that he wanted a value on...I obliged and he sold me just this one after I pointed out the error.
    I didn't get to buy the rest but got the best of the batch.

Here's the scarface:

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Very nice find. I suppose if you are counting major varieties, I have found two 1966 kennedy halves with the missing initials. I admit it is thrilling to find a variety out in the wild.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was searching a box of 2008-P Roosevelt Dimes and found 3 blank planchets. In the same box I found 2 with 5% O/C strikes.
    In a different year of Dimes I received a small clip Dime. Not much otherwise.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a job at the mint seems to help. image
  • Options
    BryceM +1 and FTB thats cool and you know what I think I have overlooked those as MD issues whats a value on that ?

I find errors in dealers cases in bulk bins, in the rotating shelves, I also find them roll searching. I have found a good number of wheat back errors searching through bags of them. Have about 10,000 to search now.
  • Options
    FadeToBlack, now that is a nice error. Nice end to the anticipation. I'm now more motivated to keep at it. image

I always rotate my change to see if I can get the elusive circulation rotated die as I think they are pretty cool

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanted to ask, how often are errors found if one is looking? Because I've been looking through rolls, circulation coinage, and mint bags for quite some time and have yet to find anything truly substantial. Has anyone found any major errors looking through modern mint rolls or bags (not counting die cracks or DDOs DDRs or any doubling)? How many of you have honestly found a major error? Just curious. Thanx >>

I'm taking the question as being about finding major strike errors (off center, broadstrikes, clips etc) not die varieties (DDOs, DDRs, RPMs, ODV, RDV) and that you're talking about modern stuff like you can get at the bank.

For the most part, they stopped shipping new coins from the mint to banks in bags years ago. Most modern coins go to a distribution outfit (like Brinks) that gets bulk coins by weight and rolls/boxes then ships them to banks.
    Because of that, most things that won't fit in a roll (dramatic off centers, multiple strikes, broadstrikes, etc) would get culled out at those outfits if they don't fit in rolls. Maybe minor stuff or clips that do fit in rolls still get through. Some of those outfits may return the big defects to the mint or some may get sold into the market as errors.

It may be the case that your best bet to find big errors would be buying old sealed bags from back when things were shipped in bags. Beyond that you might be most likely to find items online or from dealers.

One other key is that people might think they look at a lot of coins (like thousands of coins) and expect to find some rare errors or varieties. The people that find more stuff are probably looking at more coins (like millions) of coins or have access to rejects from a place that is rolling or counting coins (banks, coin rolling outfits).
    Ed
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found blank cent planchets..... but nothing else of note.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wanted to ask, how often are errors found if one is looking? Because I've been looking through rolls, circulation coinage, and mint bags for quite some time and have yet to find anything truly substantial. Has anyone found any major errors looking through modern mint rolls or bags (not counting die cracks or DDOs DDRs or any doubling)? How many of you have honestly found a major error? Just curious. Thanx >>

I'm taking the question as being about finding major strike errors (off center, broadstrikes, clips etc) not die varieties (DDOs, DDRs, RPMs, ODV, RDV) and that you're talking about modern stuff like you can get at the bank.

For the most part, they stopped shipping new coins from the mint to banks in bags years ago. Most modern coins go to a distribution outfit (like Brinks) that gets bulk coins by weight and rolls/boxes then ships them to banks.
    Because of that, most things that won't fit in a roll (dramatic off centers, multiple strikes, broadstrikes, etc) would get culled out at those outfits if they don't fit in rolls. Maybe minor stuff or clips that do fit in rolls still get through. Some of those outfits may return the big defects to the mint or some may get sold into the market as errors.

It may be the case that your best bet to find big errors would be buying old sealed bags from back when things were shipped in bags. Beyond that you might be most likely to find items online or from dealers.

One other key is that people might think they look at a lot of coins (like thousands of coins) and expect to find some rare errors or varieties. The people that find more stuff are probably looking at more coins (like millions) of coins or have access to rejects from a place that is rolling or counting coins (banks, coin rolling outfits). >>

Thank you GrumpyEd. That was the best answer so far and I think it directly addresses my issue regarding errors. I will look into the old mint bags (although I know finding original ones are getting harder and harder).
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Told this story many times. I found a Lincoln cent 1999 " Wide A.M." variety/error on the sidewalk! I believe it was in 2001. It's the significant one in the three year " Wide A.M." series. I decided to send it in to be graded from across the street ( NGC ). To my surprise, it came back MS 64 RB. The cent was worth about $200 after the grade. Not bad for finding on the sidewalk, huh? You just have to keep patient and keep searching and hunting! You'll find your diamond in the rough too. image One note: My cent was the first one NGC graded in the Wide A.M. category.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For one person to search to find a major mint error is a close to an impossible task.

There are 300 plus million Americans, and some of them do on occasion find major mint errors, it's a number game.

Back to the coin collecting community where many numismatics search hours upon hours looking for major errors, varieties, or high grade coins.

IMO, major error coins are WAY UNDERVAULED when you consider the man hours put in collectively to find such pieces.

So back to the question, where do you find major mint errors? .....

The simple answer is you buy them. From a error coin dealer, a regular coin dealer, or some lucky citizen who comes upon one.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or look at 1000's of bags & rolls. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting for over 35+ years, and have only found a Washington qtr with a missing clad layer, and a jeff nickel brockage error...Significant errors are not easy to find in the wild ;-)
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With great patience.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major errors, probably far fetched. Minor errors, yes, probably will turn up? Ex: 1955 Double Die, very, very unlikely to find in the wild! When was the 55'DD found last by anyone on this forum?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I usually find them at Fred Weinberg's bourse table

Matt
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get a job at a mint?

isn't that how most of them made their way into the public's hands?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>.
    get a job at a mint?

isn't that how most of them made their way into the public's hands?
    . >>

Really, ....... (most) ........... some here need to do just a little research before making such statements .......

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I find them, I don't believe it so I toss them back into circulation. image
  • Options

<< <i>Really, ....... (most) ........... some here need to do just a little research before making such statements ....... >>

statement?

how about questions?

i linked the words to dictionary.com for you.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Really, ....... (most) ........... some here need to do just a little research before making such statements ....... >>

statement?

how about questions?

i linked the words to dictionary.com for you.
    . >>

Thank you, but MANY TIMES, Questions ARE Statements ........image
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    By mistake
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you, but MANY TIMES, Questions ARE Statements ........image >>

i was legitimately asking (in this instance) since i've read on a few occasions that tens of thousands++ of errors were reported to have been absconded from the mint(s). i was and am wondering if these

reports comprise the vast majority of errors leaving the mints. i know it is asking for tons of speculation but sometimes the right people with the right info can relay it in such a way as to be useful.

i'd link the reports but they are from a myriad of sources, some not online, that i know of.

i do feel confident that sealed mint bags and sets etc. provided quite a few errors to be sure.

either way, i've enjoyed owning quite a few and some rather diverse errors. image

• Options
    Lance, yes error coins have been smuggled out of the mint. The last big batch was MEL or Missing Edge Letters, which I personally do not consider a significant error. Yes some Big eye appealing error coins have been smuggled out.

But by far the vast majority have indeed escaped the lawfully and are fully explainable in terms of how they were minted in error.

Sorry I was a little snide, but I hear this (that they were smuggled out) every time I post I really cool mint error.
  • Options

<< <i>But by far the vast majority have indeed escaped the lawfully and are fully explainable in terms of how they were minted in error. >>

but if coins are not to leave the mint that our designated out of parameters, aren't they all illegal since they shouldn't have left? i really couldn't care any less either way. just an intellectual inquiry.

pretty sure the pattern debate has hit on this topic recently as well. probably a lengthier debate than the error one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file