Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Attend a Rock Concert or Purchase a $100 Coin?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Which did you do first? What was the time gap? Who was the rock star and what was the coin?

Hey...it is the weekend.

1974 Frank Zappa and the Mothers. $8

2002 1881-CC Morgan MS62 in PCGS Rattler. About $250

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely attended a rock concert first: Crosby, Stills & Nash

My first $100+ coin: not sure, probably a 17th-century German thaler
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1975/6 Lynrd Skynyrd, Styx, Kiss, Bachman Turner Overdrive
    Probably why I can't remember when I bought my first 100 dollar coin. image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1975: Jethro Tull

1998: Unknown $100 Coin
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1982/3 April Wine, opening act Eddy Money, at North Dakota State University

1997 1963D Franklin Half, XF-45, for the princely sum of $3.00

That's right....I always go BIG!!

Added: I always break the rules too, apparently
    First $100 coin was:

1998 1872 Seated Dollar, Raw, VF-20
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    G Dead 1975
    Queen 1976
    two GSA CC Silver dollars boxes of 5 1973
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    Regards,

Wayne

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1981 Grateful Dead $12

Don't remember first $100 coin but probably late 1990's
  • Options
    Probably attended 100 rock concerts before I ever paid over $100.00 for a coin. First concert was Chicago Transit Authority, later just Chicago, I think 1970, Houston. I have a grainy 8 X 10 photo I took there where you can see CTA on the bass drum head. Still go to rock concerts. Going to see Yes in August, and Tom Petty in September! First $100.00 coin was probably about 10-12 years ago, and a Mercury dime of some date & mint mark, probably raw or in a questionable holder. It was before I found this website! I did make several nice scores that I got into PCGS plastic from raw or other holders, including a Merc 39-S MS67 that I traded to Fairlane Man back when. I also paid my dues learning to discern coins that had been cleaned/whizzed/altered/etc.!
    Regards,

Wayne

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    1781 North American Token in Fine, then Pink Floyd. I simply will not admit my first concert experience was factually being dragged to see Paul Anka. None, coin or shows, were anywhere approaching $100!
    Last coin - Proof 66 Walker or some such - last concert Roger Waters Wall $500 (3x). Well, technically last was Elton John floor front seats, but that was for a friend. Opps, nope - last concert was Atoms for Peace at Barclays less than a year ago and that was under $100 image Last row, as I often choose (front row, box, or last seat for me). The Wall was best seen from directly opposite the stage and high up from the cheapest seats. So little quad it made no difference really unless you wre in front and center. And besides, there is...no one up there in those dark rowsimage

Eric

I remember shows for about $10-$15. I also recall selling a ticket stub to see Judy Garland - $1.65 for decent seats! I sold it for a little more than that image
  • Options
    ZZ Top in 1990... 1856 Large Cent in 2006.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never did any concerts until my neighbor got a gig writing for our little hometown newspaper about 6 years ago. I got to go along as his "photographer" with press passes right under the stage. Saw REO Speedwagon, Journey, & Def Leppard together in one show. Hit several more that year then the gig dried up. I still haven't actually paid to go to one. First $100 coin was gold bullion back around $600/oz. Apart from that it was most likely a generic Peace dollar. It was probably around that same era.

At this point I'd take the coin anytime, but there a couple of groups I'd like to see before they hang it up.
  • Options
    Definitely the first concert came before the first $100 coin. Farm Aid in 1985.

Alabama, Hoyt Axton, The Beach Boys, The Blasters, Bon Jovi, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, John Conlee, Charlie Daniels Band, John Denver, Bob Dylan, John Fogerty, Foreigner, Vince Gill, Arlo Guthrie, Sammy Hagar, Merle Haggard, Daryl Hall, Emmylou Harris, Don Henley, Waylon Jennings, Billy Joel, Randy Newman, George Jones, Rickie Lee Jones, B.B. King, Carole King, Kris Kristofferson, Huey Lewis, Loretta Lynn, John Mellencamp, Roger Miller, Joni Mitchell, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Charley Pride, Bonnie Raitt, Lou Reed, Kenny Rogers, Brian Setzer, Sissy Spacek, Tanya Tucker, Eddie Van Halen, Debra Winger, Neil Young.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1975/6 Lynrd Skynyrd, Styx, Kiss, Bachman Turner Overdrive
    Probably why I can't remember when I bought my first 100 dollar coin. image >>

+ 1
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Rock concerts first...1969/70ish
    Janis Joplin& Big Brother, Jethro Tull, Who

1st $100 coin...Krugerand 1975

Man, how time flies!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiny, spontaneous "concert" by Warren Zevon for about 100 of us students At Stockton in NJ about 1974...out on the grass. Free. It was an "everything fiiiine" moment
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1972 - Black Sabbath......$5

2001 - 1926-S Oregon Trail Half....$125

I AM IRONMAN..........image
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Definitely rock concert--a lot of them mentioned here: Jethro Tull, ZZ Top--but the first was Herman's Hermits at Rose Bowl. I was 7 and the girls screamed so loudly I couldn't hear the music!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    first one as a teenager ..... Kansas ... ROCKS ...........

Then tull, boston, mac, stones, flyod, heart, starship, supertramp, who, kinks, .......
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big nerd, a coin show is a rock concert to me. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a big nerd, a coin show is a rock concert to me. image >>

Barry Manilow is a rock concert to you, Mark! image
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I threw my undies on stage. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    REO Speedwagon and ZZ Topp
    4th of July 1976

Never spent more than $100 on a coin until 2001. I heard the same thing both times. "Turn that crap off".
    People just hate modern crap.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I threw my undies on stage. image >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodstock, the original...... never went to another one. Do not remember what my first $100 coin was.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patchogue High Gym (short walk through the swamp) 1966 - Young Rascals.

2006 Silver Eagle Anniversary Set
  • Options
    riconaricona Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Rare Earth----Oklahoma City-----1972-----------1891-CC GSA-----1980 something-------$240.00-----my first rip.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $125 for a prooflike morgan in 1979 at age 12.

First rock concert was "Day on the Green" (Oakland Colloseum) 1982.

Van Halen, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Loverboy

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Like many here, I attended rock concerts long before I ever purchased my first $100 coin. While still in high school I attended my first of several Chambers Brothers concerts (I include a link for those who, heaven forbid, might not know who the Chambers Brothers are). While in college I saw the Turtles in concert (they even came back to my frat house after the concert), and the Youngbloods. I make my living as an audio engineer, and in my younger days I ran front-of-house (FOH) sound for many live acts, including Pete Seger (unfortunately, not his brother Bob), Bob Hope, Lawrence Welk (hardly a rocker, but a great show nonetheless), and even Glenn Campbell. Perhaps the most dynamic live show I ever ran sound for was the Edwin Hawkins Singers. Man, can they put on a show! It wasn't until 1987 that I bought my first $100+ coin, an 1838-O V1 No Stars half dime in F-12, a coin I still have. I don't run sound for shows any more, but I do attend concerts occasionally. My last concert was the Moody Blues. And if I can ever manage it, my next concert will certainly be Van Morrison.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rock concert first---KISS in 1983 with Eric Carr (Drums, RIP) & Vinnie Vincent (lead guitar). It was the 'Lick it up' tour LOL! I was a sophomore in HS at that time.

I paid right around $100 ($95 to be exact) about 10 years later in 1993ish for an XF 1938-D Walker. I had two of them----I bought another one a few years later for the exact same price from a different dealer----the second one was of better quality. I held those coins for over 15 years, until I sold them both for 325 bucks.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never attended a "Rock Concert", but my first Concert was performed by the Righteous Brothers back in 68 or 69.

Unchained Melody is still, up to this date, my favorite song.

unchained melody
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Janis Joplin backed by Full Tilt Boogie Band, Ravinia Park, Highland Park, IL, August, 1971, couple of months before her passing.

Cost = $1, general admission. C&NW train fare, $0.35 each way. I was 13.

My first show and it was weird. During the show, guy next to me (purple robe, frizzed out hair, claimed to be tripping) said he's going on stage, do I want to come with him? "Uuhh, no, thanks anyway", I replied. Danged if not two minutes later, there he is onstage, embracing Ms. Joplin briefly and then security drags him off in a blaze of glory. I was impressed!

Mason Profit opened the show. They played their hit, "Two Hangmen". I thought it was so cool that I bought their album and drove my family insane playing Two Hangmen over and over, slowly but surely figuring out the guitar parts.

Anyway, here's a pic of Janis at that show from the Ravinia Park website -

First coin? ms64 1892-O Barber quarter about ten years ago.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First concert - Foghat in 1977, followed in quick succession by Tull, Foreigner, and Van Halen (close enough to the stage to get hit
    some of Eddie's birthday cake when they threw it out into the audience).

<< <i>REO Speedwagon and ZZ Topp
    4th of July 1976 >>

Ironically, the last concert I attended a few months ago was REO Speedwagon.....they looked old, but sounded great, and it was high energy from start to finish!

First $100 coin? May have been the VF 1875P 20 cent piece I got for $110 back around 1985. An easy XF by today's grading standards, the
    PL surfaces have toned up nicely in my Dansco 7070 over the decades image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    $100 coin first. $5.00 Indian. about 1980

First concert:
    RUSH "Hold your Fire" November 1987, Utica, N.Y.
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    I don't remember my first concert but it was in the 60's and I don't remember my first $100 coin but it was probably in the 70's.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    1978 Alice Cooper
    1998 1/4 ounce AGE
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Led Zeppelin Day on the Green Oakland 1977.
    Was 16, got a ride up at midnight to wait in line. No sleep.
    Then they were 4 hours late to take the stage.
    Slept thru it.

$100 coin was 1949-s Franklin half, maybe 1984.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Probably around 1976 I saw Mary Travers ( of Peter, Paul and Mary ) @ the Central Middle School Auditorium in Dover,
    Delaware. It wasnt exactly rock but she wasn't too bad. Dover Delaware is not exactly a hot stop on anyones tour. The
    small school, Wesley College used to bring in a few acts but I wasn't cool enough to hang around the Wesley scene.

First $100+ Coin was a $20 Liberty, probably purchased around 1976 also. Cost not remembered.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After noting some of the concerts attended by the folks here (Mine? Jethro Tull, July '73) and factoring in the eras of the 60's and early 70's, I'm surprised a lot of us still have any gray matter left.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After noting some of the concerts attended by the folks here (Mine? Jethro Tull, July '73) and factoring in the eras of the 60's and early 70's, I'm surprised a lot of us still have any gray matter left. >>

Might explain why we buy shiney old Coins for far more than the face value. image
  • Options

<< <i> I'm surprised a lot of us still have any gray matter left. >>

Much of it has been replaced with gray hair.

Went to my first rock concert in 33 years last Summer. Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson.

Cooper was great, Manson was eerily enjoyable to watch.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is a gray matter thing in view of my inability to remember part of the answer... or even the question.image

Concert: Jerry Lee Lewis at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood. I suspect some will say that the Palomino Club is C&W and not a rock venue. My response is... well, you missed a real legendary performer.

As for the first coin over $100? That is even more problematic...it was likely some gold coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ELVIS....1979 (Costello....image)

Bought my first $100 + coins in 2009 ($20 liberties )
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *****1993 Nirvana @ Oakland Coliseum on New Years Eve...Kurt Cobain did the countdown and it was one of their last shows in The United States image

*****2009 1878 8tf Raw off eBay for $200

ms62DMPL CAC VAM 23 Top-100

Erik
  • Options
    1998 korn, limp bizcuit

2009 1972 ddo
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>*****1993 Nirvana @ Oakland Coliseum on New Years Eve...Their last show in The United States image >>

According to this web site, Nirvana's last US show was in Seattle on 8 Jan 1994. FYI.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ten Years After
    Three Dog Night
    Jefferson Airplane

1909-S Lincoln in AU. All early '70's.
    Lance.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>*****1993 Nirvana @ Oakland Coliseum on New Years Eve...Their last show in The United States image >>

According to this web site, Nirvana's last US show was in Seattle on 8 Jan 1994. FYI. >>

...fixed it image

Erik
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    1982, age 13, U2 - War tour (I think?) .. Followed by Aerosmith later that summer.. Pink Floyd at then Sullivan or maybe Shaeffer Stadium .. it's all a fog now (Foxboro, MA - Now Gillette) .. Tix were around $15 IIRC

First $100 coin - I honestly forget
    imageimage
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bachman Turner Overdrive 1974, $6. Last one Moody Blues 2012, $50 x 5 tickets. Paid $60 for Crosby Stills & Nash Sept 14. First coin over $100 half eagle don't remember the year.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file