Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat 1922 High Relief Peace Dollar Pattern - PICS

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
I thought this was a really neat coin coming up for auction at the ANA.
Link to auction

Its a modified high relief die trial pattern of a 1922 Peace Dollar. Whats fascinating is the number 3200 was written in ink on the coin - noting the last coin of 3200 that were struck as trials.

I just really love High Relief Peace Dollars, I think the regular issue 1921 is an all around classic coin. One of our best. The Proofs and Patterns of 1921 and 1922 are so cool. Here's a true view picture of the pattern and a nice regular old 1921, PCGS graded 67.
Enjoy.

Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of peace dollars. I appreciate these pieces as mechanical mock-ups or models but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. The others from the late mint director's collection are just as uninteresting. Like modern mint errors, they're cool in a very minor way. A slight chuckle and a raised eyebrow. But when a mule or a piece like this sells for moon money, I just scratch my head.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    It wasn't a pattern it was intended for production until they realized that poor striking and short die life necessitated a lowering of the relief and they then changed the dies. It was produced in the same fashion as the 21s

I think it is an amazing 6figure coin.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the dealers at the summer FUN had an example of the 1922 Peace Dollar in Matte Proof. Despite the fact that it was only graded PR-61, THAT coin really impressed me with its wonderful detail and fully struck centers. The coin shown above with number written in the field does nothing for me. Sorry ...
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with BJ. Aside from the sharpie number, I've never been a fan of the silhouette toning that looks like black crud.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    That die trial is pretty cool . . .

. . . BUT . . . The 1921 is freaking off the charts ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    The photo of the 1921 is indeed mine, but the photo of the pattern is from Stacks (you can see some of the gasket in the photo).

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone give us a refresher course on the PUP on the 1922 HR? ...or a link to a previous thread that has it.

I love Peace Dollars and have a cool 1921 VAM
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at the images on the linked S/B lot. Looking at the reverse image, I really have to ask...is this coin REALLY MS65????
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The neck and chin really show the UHR. The rest of the design features only seem slightly improved regarding relief. I'm just all negative on this piece unfortunately. I say that because Peace is actually my favorite all time US type.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there another thread that had pictures of all five coins in the auction? Did that one disappear?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't there another thread that had pictures of all five coins in the auction? Did that one disappear? >>

a few.

here is one

i'm still looking for the main one and i'll link it to this post unless someone finds it before me.

pcgs link

edited to add:

it may have vanished. i recall posting links to 5 max pcgs images from the baker estate. i searched by many variables and turned up nada. too bad.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    The 1922 pattern doesn't do anything for me, but that 1921 does, WOW!
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wasn't there another thread that had pictures of all five coins in the auction? Did that one disappear? >>

a few.

here is one

i'm still looking for the main one and i'll link it to this post unless someone finds it before me.

pcgs link

edited to add:

it may have vanished. i recall posting links to 5 max pcgs images from the baker estate. i searched by many variables and turned up nada. too bad.
    . >>

I guess it's gone. Thanks for trying.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess it's gone. Thanks for trying.
    TD >>

welcome.

i was actually looking forward to finding it cuz i had a funny reply to someone about the images not being pooblic and i was in dire need of a good laugh but instead beat my head against the pcgs machine yet again.

good thing about searching posts by image name is that the results are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced but you gotta be precise and if you are 100% about the image name and nothing turns up, the thread is all but certainly gone.

i've found a couple exceptions from searching incorrectly or making errors but it the method leaves not much to chance.

in this case, i'd love to be proven wrong just to have the thread.

now i think about it, i'm wondering if the threads aren't actually deleted but just inaccessible. sort of like "deleting" things on a computer. they don't really go away, just the connection to them, well unless it is scrubbed/overwritten etc. - wow, my desire to be a moderator has never been higher in this moment thinking about reading all the controversial threads!!!!

one of the reasons i don't delete my posts (a few exceptions where my posts were just useless but i shouldn't have deleted them, even if it was just a few) is so that i can go back and read how things transpired for better or worse. dot threads are just the worst, except when it is cuz someone listed their junk for sale on the main forum.

ok time for bed. i'm ramblin'.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these needed to be struck 9 times each like the UHR $20s. Beautiful coins, if they could have made them properly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file