Home U.S. Coin Forum

Our Favorite Self-Slabber . . . BUSTED ! ! !

halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
Looks like Abon has left the building . . .

Abon

NARU on e-Bay after over 200,000 FBs.

HH

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shows how worthless feedback has become. BTW no arrests mentioned in the article. image
  • BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I want to say 2009 time frame, a friend of mine just getting into the hobby had the misfortune of purchasing one of those SGS slabbed coins. I informed him that it wasn't a legitimate TPG, and that he needed to avoid things like that. Luckily the coin was under $10. That being said I felt bad for him as I was the one that got him into collecting, and offered to pay him for the slab so that I could show others just getting into the hobby what to look out for. I now keep it around as a novelty item more than anything else.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that weren't made heads of marketing at feepay.
  • BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    Been there. Wasn't impressed. Staff was nice but you can figure out what's going on.

One of two shops in town. The other is full of old farts who I swear look down on anyone that isn't retired (no offense). This area sort of sucks for coins.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS70 - multiply slashed: 70 times

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    what was their ebay id?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice writing - fellow had his lawn motor stolen and found it at the pawn shop. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it's just another pawn shop with delusions of grandeur. I can't count how many times people have come into our store wanting to take their profit on the "slabbed" SGS MS70/PF70 garbage they bought from these guys online. Good riddance.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < I informed him that it wasn't a legitimate TPG, and that he needed to avoid things like that. >

Perhaps your friend was buying the coin up to his grading standard and liked the coin. But aside from that, I have never understood one's thinking behind this "every coin is MS70". To literally label thousands of coins MS70 and sell them to a broad range of people. If asked, I would say it means nothing. Perhaps this is what this fellow said to sell his self slab coins. That maybe he said this about all grading company's opinions on coins and he would have several examples to prove his point. With that said, how does anyone have the right to tear any company down when a grade is suggested to be 2-3 grades above or below another's opinion? Just because one company has led people to believe they do a better job. Of course more money has and will exchanged hands more readily because of one's opinion having been perceived to be better and more dependable than another's opinion. Perhaps it's all about advertising? But yet all of the coin grading companies have coins they've graded that give you doubt. hmmm

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Bet it turns into a tax evasion case.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MsMorrisine...their ID was "aboncom". Their website is still functional, for now at least... but their ebay account is NARU. 203,000 plus fb. P.T. Barnum was right.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    this is very interesting

go into their feedback and click on some of the coins where feedback was left.

some recent ones I clicked were nuked,

funny,,,,, they stopped nuking the ones I reported....

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At first, i thought this was the one you were talking about.

Hopefully he's next... >>

...being a crook in Florida is a lot easier than being a crook in Ohio image

Erik
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I bought a 1893o eagle from him self slabbed as a 63 for just over melt, got it in a PCGS AU55 holder first shot and made 50% off of it. Grades are useless unless correlated to a price. I'll gladly buy over graded junk for the correct grade price.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats the way it goes (or not as of today) image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Why did it take so long?

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Exactly
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    More:

Home of Abon owners searched
    MANSFIELD – Authorities raided the home of Larry and Donna Bence, the owners of Abon Cards & Coins on Wednesday and seized numerous firearms, power tools and cash at 136 Marion Ave.

Detectives also found a Remington 12-gauge shotgun that was reported stolen in March 2009, according to a Mansfield police report.

Meanwhile, two people arrested Thursday night on Chilton Avenue after hiding from police for hours were arraigned Friday morning in Mansfield Municipal Court, each on a charge of receiving stolen property. Police alleged the couple attempted to sell stolen merchandise at Abon on Wednesday, the same day that Secret Service, FBI, IRS and Mansfield police executed a search warrant
    Felipe Dusi, 23, and Hailee Partin, 26, hid from SWAT members and authorities, refusing to come out of 129 Chilton Ave. on Thursday before SWAT members forcibly removed them from an attic.

abon home raided

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phew....I was worried that this was a Centsles thread ! Just won one from him and would prefer to have it arrive safely....image
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been to that place several times but not for 10 years or more. Cherried a few things from them-the ones that come to mind are '70-S Sm Date proof set and an 1857 FE cent clashed with a Seated 25c in XF, both around 20 years ago. Glad to hear they got busted-not the nicest people around.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Felipe Dusi, 23, and Hailee Partin, 26, hid from SWAT members and authorities, refusing to come out of 129 Chilton Ave. on Thursday before SWAT members forcibly removed them from an attic. >>

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to police records, authorities found a syringe, laptop, spoon with residue, a 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun, a cellphone and golf clubs at 129 Chilton Ave.

Add a Hawaiian shirt with mustard on it, and wouldn't most dealers be guilty of this?image
  • They were claiming they were safe by the rules of hide and seek as swatt did not call out properly and ask nicely for them to come out of hiding.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have a M3HB 50 BMG on a tri pod in my living room along with a 1919 and a few pistol in the coffee table with a few coins scattered around. No drugs but I am sure the newspaper would have a field day.

I do not put a lot of stock on what I read in the local paper about a story written by a writer that got there info from a swat member.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MSM always makes a big deal out of guns found at any site..... just more idiotic sensationalism. Cheers, RickO
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>According to police records, authorities found a syringe, laptop, spoon with residue, a 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun, a cellphone and golf clubs at 129 Chilton Ave.

Add a Hawaiian shirt with mustard on it, and wouldn't most dealers be guilty of this?image >>

As I read the article, that was found at the home of somebody unrelated to Abon whom the police became interested in when he came to the Abon shop during the police presence in the shop.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>According to police records, authorities found a syringe, laptop, spoon with residue, a 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun, a cellphone and golf clubs at 129 Chilton Ave.

Add a Hawaiian shirt with mustard on it, and wouldn't most dealers be guilty of this?image >>

imageimage
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for assuming everyone knows who "Abon" is.

Sheesh, communicate better.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the idiot couple who show up with a car load of stolen property, trying to sell it, while the secret service, swat, police, and everyone else you can think of, are at the shop doing a raid! Talk about bad timing!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I dealt with Aboncom before on eBay and was very pleased with my items.

Ref Thread

I was always of the opinion that if you knew what you were doing that you'd never be disappointed. It's a well known and well publicized fact that SGS Graded coins were and are over graded. That was no secret.

I would be "very" interested in finding out exactly what the "Secret Service" involvement might have been since, from what I understand, they only investigate counterfeiting operations whereas interstate fraud is investigated by the FBI.

I'd also like to know the outcome of this operation other than simply fodder for those that like to poo-poo aboncom's ebay listings.

Did someone get upset that their MS70 State Quarter turned out to be junk?

Another thing that has my curiosity peaked: Exactly what are the Journalistic Credentials of Lou Whitmire?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for assuming everyone knows who "Abon" is.

Sheesh, communicate better. >>

The title states who Abon is, "Our Favorite Self-Slabber".

Sheesh, read better.

peacockcoins

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dealt with Aboncom before on eBay and was very pleased with my items.

Ref Thread

I was always of the opinion that if you knew what you were doing that you'd never be disappointed. >>

WOW . . .
    I'm surprised that you didn't get tarred-&-feathered on this forum for using your superior knowledge to rip-off this poor coin dealer; just trying to earn a living . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • 19Lyds

The Secret Service has primary jurisdiction to investigate threats against Secret Service protectees as well as financial crimes, which include counterfeiting of U.S. currency or other U.S. Government obligations; forgery or theft of U.S. Treasury checks, bonds or other securities; credit card fraud; telecommunications fraud; computer fraud, fraudulent commerce, identify fraud and certain other crimes affecting federally insured financial institutions.

My interpretation is that because a claim of accepting and selling stolen currency and using a computer to perform these crimes would fall under the SS blanket. Say they take in a 1932 25c VF20 in a TPG slab that is stolen then place it in a SGS slab at MS70 and sell it on the internet (lessening the tracking potential of the TPG slab as stolen) with more than likely knowledge that the coin is stolen, this would be fraud. (Computer and Commerce Fraud)

I guess my concern would be how many of the coins they have self slabed are actually or possibly stolen?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>19Lyds

The Secret Service has primary jurisdiction to investigate threats against Secret Service protectees as well as financial crimes, which include counterfeiting of U.S. currency or other U.S. Government obligations; forgery or theft of U.S. Treasury checks, bonds or other securities; credit card fraud; telecommunications fraud; computer fraud, fraudulent commerce, identify fraud and certain other crimes affecting federally insured financial institutions.

My interpretation is that because a claim of accepting and selling stolen currency and using a computer to perform these crimes would fall under the SS blanket. Say they take in a 1932 25c VF20 in a TPG slab that is stolen then place it in a SGS slab at MS70 and sell it on the internet (lessening the tracking potential of the TPG slab as stolen) with more than likely knowledge that the coin is stolen, this would be fraud. (Computer and Commerce Fraud)

I guess my concern would be how many of the coins they have self slabed are actually or possibly stolen? >>

That exact question "could" apply to ANY raw coin sale or ANY coin sale for that matter. To lump all those insinuations onto a single seller because s/he has a less than tarnished reputation on these forums just does not appear to be right IMO.

There is no evidence portrayed other than a bust reported on by a shoddy reporter. Wait for the actual facts to come out before ...............

oh whats the point?

I'm sorry to see aboncom get naru'ed off ebay as I actually liked perusing the constant modern coin listings.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read it as they got busted as a fence and the eBay stuff was secondary to that. If that's the case, I'm not sorry to see them go.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file