Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are You Buying The Kennedy 2 Coin Set?

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who is buying the Kennedy 2 coin set when it goes on sale tomorrow?
Or will you wait and combine your order with the gold on August 5th?
Or are you passing on the 2 coin set completely?

My thought is to combing this set with a gold half on the 5th. Saving a second shipping cost of half the price of the set as well as getting upgraded delivery by having gold in the combined order. I wouldn't get the set by the 5th, even if they shipped the next day, if I order tomorrow anyway. Getting both the same day seems a lot better.

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill be passing. I might use the opportunity to sell my Kennedy dansco set. All the publicity may push up prices.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Habit might tempt me to buy this junk but I'm hoping to just let it lie. Ill let the pushers push this stuff into total
    junk territory.

Reading all the commentary will be entertaining over the comming months though. image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a "pass". I've kind of weened myself of things created solely for collectors. They just don't grab me.....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clad pieces will be the low end of this issue. I'm ordering some for customers but will not be loading the truck by any means.
    Are they giving a date certain on the silvers yet?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    No...
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I think the general public will order enough of these to be above what could be considered "low mintage". image
    And don't forget these will be different from any other half this year.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I will.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a "pass". I've kind of weened myself of things created solely for collectors. They just don't grab me..... >>

+1
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the Silver looks like the mint is Pushing the junk 1st this time around.... image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might buy a coin tomorrow, but it won't be anything modern.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint rehearsal coin sale for the Lemmings.

This came in my email tonight from the U.S. Mint........................

Dear United States Mint Customer,

At the United States Mint, we pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service every day. Individual customers like you are an invaluable part of our operation, so we constantly seek to improve the way we do business and serve you.

As such, we are excited to launch a new state-of-the-art website and order management system (OMS) that will provide improved features for managing your U.S. Mint account. The system, launching later this year, will provide a more intuitive experience for purchasing United States Mint products.

Updating Your Account Information

To help prepare for this important transition, we ask that you carefully review and update your online account information, which includes your preferred email address, default “bill to” and “ship to” address and telephone number. To update your information, sign in at: https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LogonForm?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Even if you believe no changes are needed for your information, we recommend you review it just to ensure everything is in order before we move to the new system.

This is the first of several letters you will receive from us to keep you informed as we approach our OMS update go-live date. We appreciate your help as we transition to a new ordering management system that will provide all of our customers a much improved user experience. We are confident the system will better serve your shopping needs as you continue to build your personal coin collections or purchase gifts for friends and loved ones.

United States Mint
    Customer Service Center
    2799 Reeves Road
    Plainfield, IN 46168
    1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)
    TTY 1-888-321-MINT (6468)
    International Dialing 001-1-202-898-6468

• Options
    NO! Clad is for losers.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the gold ones.
    I may pick-up a couple !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I might buy a coin tomorrow, but it won't be anything modern. >>

Ditto.
  • Options
    I never thought the reaction would be so negative. It looks like the web site will be easy sailing tomorrow. I'll order one set on the 5th none the less.

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    nada
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. I'm a Mint junk junkie.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    yup, need it to complete my kennedy set
    figglehorn
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, not tomorrow nor August 5.
  • Options
    Not these ones.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620
    I'm uninterested in these or the gold. I will be buying the silver set and only one of those.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing about modern mint issues excites me when there are so many interesting classic issues to be had
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone notice there is an order limit of 5 on these? I find that almost laughable.
  • Options
    First Strike 70's will be going for up to $2,000.00 - at first. image There are a number of suckers out there that will be
    buying at that price thinking these might go up to maybe $10,000.00 each. Imagine the anger and shock when in a year
    the value drops to $20.00.(First Strike 70) image

Final mintage probably 1.6 million. image

Dealers might offer $1.00 each.image ( for the carded set of 2 )
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Are these coins any different then coins sold in the bags, rolls or mint sets?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Yes they are of the original 1964 design. Todays JFK Half is strangely different from the original coins.

Better get in line. image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the flippers are going crazy right now. I'm in the "waiting room" with a 35 minute ETA.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    In, ordered, out in 6 minutes: Order 43643XXX 12:06 pm
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Complete Fail...waste of time. Just for kicks sat in waiting room until it says it's your turn, redirecting to shop...page opened, clicked on an item, and a new screen popped up...said Join the waiting room...Complete Fail by the Mint...

Order in...46487XXX 12:43
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Looks like super high demand for these.

Glad i got mine.

• Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

More fun for those who enjoy reading the PCGS Forum. I've already predicting sales of 1.6 million on these
    Clads but now I wonder. They need to package these up as 2 coin sets, maybe they won't be able to handle
    1.6 million?

Alright my revised guess is 1,282,069. Pump up the volume ! imageimageimage

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    So just for fun, I went to the mint website with absolutely zero intent on buying anything. This was just a test. I went to the Kennedy 50th Anniversary half dollar uncirculated coin set. <Buy Now> The United States Mint's Catalog is currently experiencing high traffic volume <--shock surprise!! But okay, I'll play along. clicked on <Join Waiting Room> Your Estimated Wait Time Is:20 minutes

So for these, the same coins that "no one is buying". Looks like the one or two folks that logged on to the mint website are causing it to bog down. Now if those two customers are causing this, can you imaging what will happen on August 5th?

Can't wait for the US Mint to upgrade their system (lots of sarcasm here).
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    Flippers and hypsters will always jam up the website. The rush to get First Strike 70's is on.

I see offers to sell Baseball HOF Clad Halves ( First Strike MS / PF70) on ebay for $2,000 and
    even more. Those darned coins can still be had from the Mint. But of course the FS deadline is
    long gone.

How crazy will these JFK's get ? Really CRAZY.
  • Options
    johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I think more people are buying than you might think . . . I placed 2 orders, and from the finish of the first order and the second order, the order number changed by 144 numbers!!

Blessings
  • Options
    More surprises...actual waiting room time for this. For getting 6 to 1 in this thread against buying the reported jam at the mint was really unexpected. I hope those who got in an order will report the shipping date as a predictor for the gold.

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Got my 5.
    Will flip to a local shop that wants to get a bunch to get graded.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are You Buying Tomorrow? >>

Today is the tomorrow that you asked about yesterday. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Waiting for the gold.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

I've found that paying money for clad coins is a losing proposition unless you just want it as a collector.

One thing that is a concern, however. If the only difference between these Kennedy half dollar things and the Mint Set Kennedy half dollar things is the 1964 style die work vs. the modern die work I can see some scam potential here. If the 1964 die work turns out to be something special I could see the sharpies trying to scam the newbies. The differences are fairly subtle if you are not a "coin freak" like some of us.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5, 4365XXXX @ 2:50pm
  • Options
    I took a really good look at a 2013 Clad BU Kennedy, in a Mint Set, and the thing is horible. Both the metal used
    and the sculp of the Coin itself is bad.

I think the Silver versions will be worthwhile. Maybe even the Gold one although I'm wondering if I want to waste
    that kind of money.

The Clads seem to be going like hotcakes. Wonder how it will go when the orders take forever to be delivered?
    Also when the prices drop down and the First Strike Deadline is gone, how will it go then?
  • Options

<< <i>The Clads seem to be going like hotcakes. Wonder how it will go when the orders take forever to be delivered? >>

The first report of the clad set shipping will prove if it will take forever or be quick like regular proof and uncirculated sets.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    A question for those who entered the waiting room.....

At what time were you allowed to enter the waiting room? 11:45am? 12:00 noon?
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I ordered (5) sets about 45 minutes after it started. Estimated ship date of 7-28-14.
    Now I see the backorder date is 9-06-14.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 sets

Order #43661xxx 5:46pm EST
  • Options
    I jumped now rather than wait.
    2 sets, order # 436619xx 6:03 pm
    Backordered 09/06/14

It's possible the pre-minted quantity was exhausted in the first few hours.

• Options
    I'm betting the first batch of 37,000 was gone in the first 30 minutes. Better watch out, these are affordable, Clad buyers in
    Chicago might trample the Gold buyers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file