Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bids on HOF Coins Falling Big Time - Dump them?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
The latest CDN is out and the bids on HOF coins are way down.

$5 Gold Unc dropped from $800 to $570, Unc Silver Dollar from $100 to $75 Bid; proofs similar drops.

I expect the bids on these to drop further and would be careful if offered any, offering a steep discount to current CDN. If you bought 70's paying big money, congrats your the end user. The people who doubled their money on these or more when they first came out really cleaned up.

What will you do with yours? Dump them while there may still be a chance for a slight profit (or minimize a loss) or wait further and just be the end user.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Glad I canceled mine when the musical ship dates started.

imageimage
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time to dump was a while ago.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally saw one at the local B&M........ Kinda cute, quirky. I'm a huge baseball fan & huge coin fan. Somehow this mint product does nothing for me.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What will you do with yours? Dump them while there may still be a chance for a slight profit >>

Gee, what if one bought them just because they like the coins?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The time to dump was a while ago. >>

Total agreement with Todd.....I do see these coins making a slow but sure rebound over the next few years.

Keep your HOF coins in a safe place and look forward to the 50th anniversary Kennedy offerings. image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What will you do with yours? Dump them while there may still be a chance for a slight profit >>

Gee, what if one bought them just because they like the coins? >>

Exactly.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Sold all the gold and silver I had at a good profit and cancelled 2 gold and 39 silver when things started to look like they were going south.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll be like every $5 gold coin the mint releases. Worth about spot, minus all the interest, after the initial dust of the stampede settles.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heeeeeere comes the pitch...it's a curve high and inside. He swings and missssses! Steeeeeerike twooooo! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont get it if i'm getting more then i payed from the mint why not keep it and sell it for a bit more maybe not $100's but $20 or $30 more is still more then you payed from the mint and if they are MS or PR 70's you'll get more then that. I dont think it will go below the mint price but what ever flowts your boat. All i kept wher the 70's and sold off all my 69's and will keep them till all the rest get there "Sorry we can not ship you your order" E-Mails from are money making US Mint. Sounds like the sky is falling. A bid price is just that a bid price I see bid's on coins that i will never sell at that price but that is all they want to pay and they will never get them at that price from me. But some will sell and i will buy all you can do is ask and you have the opt to say no or yes. I just rec my Unc's yesterday and will have them graded come on 70's. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Saturday, I was in Baltimore and I saw the Yankees play the Os. Yankees 3-0 over the Os. Yankees got a great new pitcher in this guy Shane Greene what a breaking ball 93 miles per hour in the 7th inning..............Wow.

Oh yeah. Ahh what was the original question?
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    Silver HOF seem to be holding steady on the Bay ~$80 for UNC and ~$90 for Proof. The Golds don't seem to be doing as well.
  • Options
    By the time you pay 13% ebay fees and then ship them you only make a few dollars. Is it worth the trouble?
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The latest CDN is out and the bids on HOF coins are way down.

$5 Gold Unc dropped from $800 to $570, Unc Silver Dollar from $100 to $75 Bid; proofs similar drops.

I expect the bids on these to drop further and would be careful if offered any, offering a steep discount to current CDN. If you bought 70's paying big money, congrats your the end user. The people who doubled their money on these or more when they first came out really cleaned up.

What will you do with yours? Dump them while there may still be a chance for a slight profit (or minimize a loss) or wait further and just be the end user. >>

buy prices are much lower .. dealers paying 460-490... even still lower prices.. coin club passed several times on offers to buy 100 coin lots of the gold hofs at MINT issue price.. dump and turn towards kennedy gold
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    You'll never go broke taking a profit.

As far as I see, there is still a profit in them. May not be much, but it's not a loss.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The SD's will still hold a decent % profit. Wait until the dumping stops. Weak hands get out.

Then prices will firm up.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Groundhog day.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    You can say weak hands if that makes you happy but the big profits on these coins has already been made.
  • Options

<< <i>You can say weak hands if that makes you happy but the big profits on these coins has already been made. >>

the focus and the money now turns to the Kennedy coins..taking the air, money and focus out of the HOFs
    when number of hof listings drop a lot on ebay.. that will signal game over
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You can say weak hands if that makes you happy but the big profits on these coins has already been made. >>

the focus and the money now turns to the Kennedy coins..taking the air, money and focus out of the HOFs
    when number of hof listings drop a lot on ebay.. that will signal game over >>

The window to flip was very small if you were in the late-June batch. Whew...I call it le flip du jour. image
  • Options
    Say goodnight Gracie! ( most of you will not know what I am talking about)
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goodnight, Gracie.
    Lance.
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad that the big money is gone for the flippers. But here's the sad part -- all I really wanted was one of the uncirculated dollar coins. Got my order in sometime during the mid-late afternoon of the 1st day and what do you know, when it finally arrived about three weeks ago it had a long curved scratch on the baseball (obverse). I wonder if I got one of the flipper's rejects? image
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620
    I bought them to hold for my children when I'm gone. Why would I dump them?
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Weird. I always thought this was COLLECTORS Universe forum.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    On Monday I watched a PF70 (not FS, not signed) sell for $979

Yesterday another sold for $975 (same label)

I went 6 for 6 70's on my submission....

I don't feel the panic because NOW is when they SHOULD be dropping....the end of dump AND the summer doldrums....see me in a few years

I won't cancel my remaining orders but I hope others will so my odds of getting them will improve.....

The price drop NOW only matters if you need to sell NOW.....I don't....and anyway the worst time to sell is when everyone else is selling
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Down, down, down...Exactly what they should do. I am happy enough with an unc. One Dollar.

To those leaving coins for future generations: "Good Luck"
    I say, you be happy with them or flip them or whatever.
    These kids, including mine, by and large, do not give a hoot (and I could almost use stronger language) about coins - even those in hand. How many numismatists even care about the '01 Buff dollar?
    I have tried to give buff nickels away without success to kids.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A market that seems to depend on encasement in a "70" holder doesn't strike me as a very safe investment.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>Down, down, down...Exactly what they should do. I am happy enough with an unc. One Dollar.

To those leaving coins for future generations: "Good Luck"
    I say, you be happy with them or flip them or whatever.
    These kids, including mine, by and large, do not give a hoot (and I could almost use stronger language) about coins - even those in hand. How many numismatists even care about the '01 Buff dollar?
    I have tried to give buff nickels away without success to kids. >>

Well, my kids (who are now almost middle aged, by the way) DO know about coins and they will be happy to inherit mine. As they are more than financially secure, they are unlikely to sell, but will probably pass them to a cousin - possibly someone not even born yet. What happens then, who knows? I don't care..
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a breaking ball 93 miles per hour in the 7th inning. >>

That's a cut fast ball not a breaking ball
    imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins will continue to fall in price until the flippers and dealers sell off the remainder their coins. Then prices will slowly rise when dealers have to buy these coins from collectors on the secondary market. These coins will continue to be popular with collectors since baseball is a popular pastime in America and these coins have a unique design and shape---cupped shape with a baseball on one side and a baseball glove on the other side. I'm not into sports but I bought two of the gold proofs which I got and two of the gold uncirculated coins which I didn't get because I liked the shape and design of these coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some, the hobby is flipping. For others, the market it hopping. For a scant few, the majority are stupid. ( Greetings collectors, i can relate to you ! )
  • Options

<< <i>On Monday I watched a PF70 (not FS, not signed) sell for $979

Yesterday another sold for $975 (same label)

I went 6 for 6 70's on my submission....

I don't feel the panic because NOW is when they SHOULD be dropping....the end of dump AND the summer doldrums....see me in a few years

I won't cancel my remaining orders but I hope others will so my odds of getting them will improve.....

The price drop NOW only matters if you need to sell NOW.....I don't....and anyway the worst time to sell is when everyone else is selling >>

weren't the 70s at $3,000 at on time ?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see, the "famous" 1992 Olympic $1 with Nolan Ryan available at the 30 dollar range or even less - methinks the baseball crowd not all that interested in baseball issues. Even the Jackie silver dollar suffering - not to mention the plummeting $5 gold for JR. Despite the novel dished shape, I can see the HOF issues performing similarly.

BTW, this dish business - I can appreciate it, but has not been all that exciting to those I've shown it and the office manager who I usually get proof sets, etc. for did not even want one!

Fun coin, now here comes the JFK coins, and then the next bit....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of Modern bullion-related coin premiums are down. Lots of competition for the consumer dollars in this arena. The HoF issues aren't particularly scarce and the actual size of the market for them is yet undetermined.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i say hold onto them.

i think that over time the gold coins will be worth it because the mintage is relatively small and they have a cross collector base...plus, they are gold. i don't know about the silver and clad versions though.

as a general rule, when prices are falling, it's not a good time to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>
    weren't the 70s at $3,000 at on time ? >>

I never saw a Non-FS, Non-Sig, Non-"I bought-it-at-a-coin-show" sell for 3 grand

• Options
    Someone at today's Silvertowne Auction (July 16th) did not get their memo on time. The auction is ongoing via Proxibid and the Silvertowne site. Internet auction charges up to 18%. Onsite bid for an NGC Proof 70 2014 P just went for $180.00. The Gold $5.00 NGC MS 70 went for $800.00. Go figure!
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bought one opened HOF silver proof and one unopened HOF gold proof.

How do you dump them when you only have two of them?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Individually?
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    weren't the 70s at $3,000 at on time ? >>

I never saw a Non-FS, Non-Sig, Non-"I bought-it-at-a-coin-show" sell for 3 grand >>

I believe the highest for PCGS FS 70's was $ 1,400 - $ 1,500 except for the PCGS real signatures and the show coins.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 sold for over $1800 on Ebay, 3 MS70s and 1 PR70, all regular FIRST STRIKE. These were sold in late May 2014. See Ebay completed sales, highest price first.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The time to dump was a while ago. >>

agreed
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Bullsitter.

Always a few who are easily parted from their money. Remember the first 2010 69DMPL 5oz sets that sold for $ 10,000.

It will be a freezing cold day down below when that investment pays off.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info Bullsitter.

Always a few who are easily parted from their money. Remember the first 2010 69DMPL 5oz sets that sold for $ 10,000.

It will be a freezing cold day down below when that investment pays off.image >>

as the group , THE WHO sung so well ..... Don't get fooled again >>>>>>>>>>>>image
  • Options
    The silver dollars are still going for $80-$90 raw. Is that a market collapsing?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The silver dollars are still going for $80-$90 raw. Is that a market collapsing? >>

That is surprising considering dealer bids are lower than the OP post.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The silver dollars are still going for $80-$90 raw. Is that a market collapsing? >>

That is surprising considering dealer bids are lower than the OP post. >>

Yup, raw silver proof sold for $93 a couple of hours ago
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Once the flipper / dealer hoards are disseminated the prices will rebound as any promotion means upping bids for accumulation. This coin is wildly popular. Perhaps more popular than the Buffalo dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Yup, raw silver proof sold for $93 a couple of hours ago >>

And this is supposedly a market undergoing a 'big time' collapse?

The raw golds however, are clearly not retaining anything near their frothy levels of 6-8 weeks ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file