Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USA (Syracuse, NY): brass merchant token, A.C. Yates Clothing Emporium, ca. 1850s

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
USA (Syracuse, NY): brass merchant token, A.C. Yates Clothing Emporium, ca. 1850s

NGC MS62, cert #1976253-006. Miller-NY 1028. Ex-"Broadstruck", Collectors Universe, March, 2014.

I thought this was a really neat token. I think it's gilt brass. I especially liked the whimsical little fat man with glasses on the obverse. (I'm starting to resemble him a bit, these days.) Plus the eagle on the reverse is great, too. I guess these were struck to mimic $10 gold pieces on the reverse. In hand, this piece is brighter than the pictures (and scans of the slab) indicate. I tried Google-Mapping that address, but it appears the street numbers have changed over the last 160 years. I couldn't find a #13 or #15 North Salina Street in Syracuse, NY, though of course North Salina Street is still there, and cruising along in Street View, one sees a few old buildings which could possibly date to the same period as this token.

NGC cert verification page (no images)
Article about the Yates Clothing store in Syracuse (from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, April 19, 1862)

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Update: summer, 2014: Stefanie (aka "coinsarefun") was very sweet and after seeing this post, she sent me the surprise gift of two A.C. Yates advertising cards. These are from Philadelphia and probably just a bit later than the token (I'd guess circa 1870s or so). The larger hummingbird card is not quite as big as a modern postcard. The smaller card with the dog is just a tiny bit bigger than a typical modern business card and is blank on the back. Thank you, Stef! You're awesome! image

Also, a reader named Bob emailed me a PDF of a page from Frank Leslie's newspaper from April 19, 1862, which included an article on the Yates Clothing store in Syracuse, as well as some Civil War news. I will try to link to that above, if I can figure out how to upload a PDF and share it. Thanks, Bob!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file