Home U.S. Coin Forum

USA: copper-nickel three-cent piece, 1880 proof

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
USA: copper-nickel three-cent piece, 1880 proof

PCGS PR64, cert. #29545093. Ex-"liberty.coin", eBay, 6/26/2014. Mintage: 3,955.

I've always liked the look of proof 3cNs for their relative affordability. True, they're probably not too far behind Indian cents and Liberty nickels as far as the more commonly-encountered 19th century proofs go, but I always kind of wanted one. And so now I have one. I like proofs from the late 19th and early 20th century, but that's not a field I can play in very often, due to budgetary constraints. Though it has no fancy colors, it does look nice and frosty. I think it appears to have some nice near-cameo contrast. Maybe it just missed the CAM designation, who knows. I suspect it may be correctly graded at PR64, but then again, I've seen some subtle-contrast coins that got the CAM designation. Perhaps I'll try resubmitting it one day, and even if it doesn't go CAM, I'll get TrueView images for it. In the meantime, I'm happy with it the way it is.

Larger obverse picture (1000 x 1000)
Larger reverse picture (1000 x 1000)
PCGS cert verification page
PCGS priceguide trends
Numismedia priceguide trends

Wikipedia links:
Three-cent piece (US coin)
James B. Longacre (designer)

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file