Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Urban Legends & MythBusters - Are there Any ?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are there any Urban Legends in the coin world?

Have any been MythBusted?

Do Any Need to be MythTested ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    The story of the former SF Mint employee and the recently discovered gold coin hoard may gain that status.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    A small time urban legend is that Kennedy Halves are worth money. Well yeah if they're a 64 or even a 65-70. But a regular
    circulated clad? With the rise of Silver this UL isnt as far off track as it used to be.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    A couple come to mind.

1. Wells Fargo has bags of barber coins and other coins from late 1890's and early 1900's stashed away. I don't believe this one.
    2. Kegs full of barber dimes lost in a canyon in Colorado, 1906-D or 1907-D, don't recall off-hand right now. Mentioned in Bower's book. I believe this one.
    3. Fort Knox empty of gold bullion. Not coins, but a widely held conspiracy story. I believe gold bars are still there.

I'm sure that others will come up with many others.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I recall that when the Sac "golden" dollar was rolled out, folks thought that they had some precious metal content.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .... that Bi-Centennial coinage (the circulation variety) is worth more than
    face value. If in unc. condition yes , but pulled from circulation the last
    35+ years, NO.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Urban Legend

Part 2

Part 3 >>

Neat story!
    The first 3 parts were posted seven years ago. Where is the conclusion?
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Did little Hallie Daggett REALLY buy an ice cream with a proof 1894-S dime??? image
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    Braddick, is there a part 4? I searched and found nothing.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wells Fargo has bags of barber coins and other coins from late 1890's and early 1900's stashed away. I don't believe this one. >>

I think it may be the same bank hoard, that I've seen several references that an original mint bag of 1919S halves was listed in the
    inventory.....it would certainly be amazing, but I'm guessing by now the temptation to distribute these into the marketplace would have
    happened and the MS pops would be much higher than it is.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Braddick, is there a part 4? I searched and found nothing. >>

You had to send a PM to the OP to get it...
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many "rare" coins.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did little Hallie Daggett REALLY buy an ice cream with a proof 1894-S dime??? >>

About 8-9 years ago, I met an elderly dealer set up in a back corner at the Lakeland FL show. He wasn't getting
    any traffic, and seemed glad to have me at least look in his case. His inventory was mostly dimes, Barber and Mercs, better dates and grades.
    He apparently 'came out of retirement' just to get rid of some things. After he quoted me prices well below Bid on some 09S and 21D dimes,
    I went to town and bought a fair number of coins. Anyway after the transaction we were chatting and he said Barber dimes were his favorite, he
    had a lot more at home, including a COMPLETE high grade set....I said wow, then said yeah complete except for the 94S ha ha ha....He said no, when he said complete, he meant complete - he had the 94S too. A circulated example he bought somewhere in AL back in the 1950's, and he knows it genuine.....I guess anything is possible, as not all of the original mintage is accounted for, so perhaps it will surface someday.
    Certainly more believable is that he also said he hoarded '23S quarters back in the day, and has a roll put away for each of his three kids, every coin VF and better.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    So, Realone, are you saying that you now own that coin? If so, apparently the Bobbes "who vow they "will never sell it" evidently did. With a pedigree including Andy Lustig and Fred Weinberg and Henry Hilgard and Mike Byers, we can assume that it is genuine. Cool.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1964 D Peace Dollar..... Yes.... a great myth and maybe some really do exist. Roger Burdette's book 'A guide book of Peace Dollars' has an excellent, detailed story of this coin. I know of a very trustworthy person that claims to have seen one. Never saw one myself. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1844 "Little Orphan Annie" dimes were lost on the military expedition to Mexico.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    The Barber Half book was written in 1991, and yes I am the latest caretaker of the piece and a cool piece it is......thanks!image
    and I might add that you can tell it was stored in leather because it has that leather crude in between the edifices of the lettering etc, it is original and naturally toned that is if you call stored in leather natural, simply a beautiful specimen with luster remaining and undergraded by pcgs at au58 imhoimage >>

This ranks among my favorite of your coins! Awesome piece!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "64 Kennedy half dollars are worth $32"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Braddick, is there a part 4? I searched and found nothing. >>

I never did PM, yet I could "guess" at the conclusion.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    One myth going around some circles of the numismatic community is that any coin collector with a very large coin budget somehow automatically qualifies as (and can be titled) an "advanced" collector. You don't need to have any personal involvement or genuine passion whatsoever in what you are assembling so long as you are writing large checks to a dealer or agent who goes around and buys what you want from the various auctions and other rare coin dealers. Apparently in these circles, "advanced" means to let somebody else do all the work for you while you sit back and take the credit for their accomplishments... simply because you were funding their scavenger hunt.

Contrary to that myth, the reality is that to most coin enthusiasts the word "advanced" can only legitimately be applied to those collectors who are fanatical experts who live, eat, sleep, and breathe their particular areas of interest in the hobby and who may have done so for quite a long time regardless of the size of their coin budget.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Bingo !

This might also explain why so many spectacular collections go on sale when completed.

OK Mr Money Bags. You just put together the finest set I could find for you. Now as I told you, we never really possess
    coins, we merely enjoy buying them and then allow your Dealer to resell them so he/she can afford to find your next
    set.Yes it's time to sell and start over again. Just relax and keep on writing those Checks.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    There are some in the hobby community who believe that
    Lincoln Vanderblatt is not a real person.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was the one who purchased it from
    Harlan White - I paid $1,000 for it
    at the time, which was a pretty darn
    hefty price for any error coin.....

(the First Strike Brockage Barber Half)
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was the one who purchased it from
    Harlan White - I paid $1,000 for it
    at the time, which was a pretty darn
    hefty price for any error coin.....

(the First Strike Brockage Barber Half) >>

Quite a good investment for sure!
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    RealOne,

I really do think that brockage barber half is a really neat piece. I remember seeing it in Lawrence's text when I first bought my copy of the book and thinking how uber cool it is. I see very few error Barber coins, particularly the halves. I am glad it is held by a real enthusiast.

That brings up another Barber-related myth to bust: Is there really a micro O 1898-O Barber half?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I didn't read through all the posts...... but did anyone mention "Jack the Flipper?"

Has anyone ever heard of him?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fort Riley Kansas, Legend is that in the early 1900's, the soldiers were paid in $5 gold coins to demonstrate to the local economy the impact of the soldiers spending. The problem was that $5 was a lot of money and there was not enough hard currency change readily available, so some of the $5 coins were stashed and lost. When the "old" pre WW1 section of the Fort was cleared, at least 7 $5 coins were found.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost Confederate Treasure - estimates of a half to one million dollars in gold, silver, and jewelry left Richmond shortly before it fell and was taken south to Georgia where it was last seen. Never was recovered by the Union. Many people believe it remains buried somewhere in GA.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file