Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's May 2014 DENVER COIN EXPO Show Report w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Denver Coin Expo was the third of three back-to-back shows I recently attended. This show has been going on for many years, but recently was taken over by two very enthusiastic show promoters who enhanced and expanded the show.

Other than going through Denver on my way to the ANA Summer Seminar in Colorado Springs, the only other time I’d been to Denver was during the ANA National Money Show that was held in Denver a few years ago. Denver is a very beautiful city and I looked forward to seeing Denver again. Me happy to be going to Denver!

I left Orange County really early so I could arrive in time for set up on Thursday.

Once again, we flew out over the Newport Beach coast before turning and heading east.

It was only a 2-hour flight, and soon we were flying over Colorado

And descending into Denver

At the Denver airport

I arrived at the National Western Complex and noticed the bold signage they had around the building, including a huge bold banner on the other side of the building facing the freeway. The building is located in more of an industrial section outside of the city. It’s a very roomy facility but unfortunately is not within walking distance of any hotels, restaurants, shops, etc.

Set up was from 11 am through 8pm so I enjoyed having plenty of time to set up my table, and peruse other dealer’s cases.

This was the first coin I bought at the show

Gene Bruder setting up his table

Frank and Dawn of DEI (they are the Las Vegas show promoters) setting up their coins and beautiful jewelry

The ANA had on display the famous 1913 Liberty Head Nickel and the 1804 Dollar

At 5pm, the dealers were treated to very tasty bbq brisket and beer at a restaurant located inside the convention hall

After the show, I checked into my hotel and hung out with several other dealers at the hotel bar for a a drink before retiring to my room to watch some tv. Right after I climbed into bed, I got a text from Rick Snow who had just arrived at the hotel. He had asked if I would put him on my table since he wanted to walk the show for a day, so I knew he was coming to the show, but thought he was arriving the next day. So I got dressed again, and met him for a quick drink back down at the bar. THEN I headed back up to my room and, since I had been up since 4am to catch the early flight, I quickly fell right asleep!

Since the hotel was a few miles from the show, the show promoters had arranged to have a shuttle take people back and forth, but Rick had rented a car and was nice enough to cart me to the show so I didn’t have to wait for the shuttle. We arrived at the show about an hour before the public. This is the registration area.

There was a nice crowd at the show on Friday for most of the day. I sold several coins, mostly raw pieces. I also bought several nice coins for my inventory, including a couple of gorgeous proofs and a beautiful red 1898 Indian cent!

Tom/CaptHenway was the first forum member to stop by my table.

David/OldIndianNutKase and Rick

Knowing how much I love toned copper, David showed me his stunning Indian proof so I just had to get a photo of it!

During the day, we had been hearing reports that a huge snow storm would be hitting Denver late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, with some reports stating there would be blizzard conditions. I began to worry that this might cause some trouble flying out on Sunday, and not to mention that I did not bring “snow” attire, so I decided to change my flight and leave Saturday night after the show. I was also hoping to head to Black Hawk one evening to do some gambling but it had already begun to snow there.

So after the show, we decided to head into the city for dinner – here are some photos around Denver

Colorado University had their graduation commencement earlier in the day

We drove around until we found a wonderful restaurant along Mall Street, the Rialto Café. They had the best cornbread I’ve ever had. I asked what they put in it to make it so dark, and the waiter said it was a “secret family recipe”!

There was another nice crowd of people at the show on Saturday, and although I was pretty busy showing coins, I didn’t sell much. It seems Denver is more of a silver/gold town, rather than a copper town!

This is the snack bar area that sold great brisket sandwiches! (This photo was taken early before lunch.)

They also had a presentation on the history of the Denver Mint

The kids’ give-away table

One of the fantastic show promoters – Chuck Hays

And me!

Soon it was time to head back to the airport for my trek home! This is a beautiful statue of a wild horse just outside the Denver airport

And of course, I stopped to have my customary pre-flight beverage – this time, a very tasty double margarita at the Mile High Bar & Grill!

When I boarded, I discovered I had a bulkhead seat right next to the door!

As we were taxiing down the runway, I watched through the plane’s window as it began to rain as the clouds were moving in.

You could see the dark clouds moving over Denver

The beautiful Rocky Mountains!

Flying above the clouds!

Me so happy to be going home…

Back in Orange County!

Having a seat right by the door meant I got to be the first one off the plane!

And the John Wayne airport was completely empty!

Usually, my hubby picks me up at the airport, but right now he is fulfilling one of his dreams this week – he is driving a race car in the NORRA Mexican 1000 race! It’s a 1300+ mile off-road race from Ensenada to Baja/Cabo and is similar to the Baja 1000. He and his partner bought a race buggy and have spent the past year refurbishing and preparing it for this grueling race, which began today (Sunday)! They even got several people/businesses to help sponsor them – including lil ol me! (Note the small oval “The Penny Lady” sticker next to the “T-Fab” sticker on the front side panel of the car.)

Next up, the PCGS Las Vegas invitational show next week, then the Long Beach show the first week of June!

p.s. I just heard from my California dealer friends who changed their flight out of Denver from Sunday night to Sunday morning, and they said they had to wait an hour and a half while their plane was being de-iced before it could take off, and their flight was the last flight out of Denver to California because the airlines had cancelled all the other flights due to the snow! I am so thankful I changed my flight and came home last night!! image
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great 3 in a row report Charmy! Love the Indians pictured and NutKase`s 03....

ABimage
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Related to your copper show report:
    We went to the San Diego Animal Park today (for mother's day) and I saw this penny just within the elephant exhibit. I was able to retrieve it by using a stick and gingerly fishing it out of the inclosure.

I liked the dark black/lavender obverse toning (probably acquired from being out in the sun for months along with the elephant dung):

peacockcoins

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another great report!
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Thank You Charmy, I always love reading and seeing your reports image
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report. Glad you missed the weather. Happy Mothers day.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Another great report. Glad you missed the weather. Happy Mothers day. >>

Me too! And thank you Rick!
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Thanks once again Charmy for the report. Look forward to each and every one.

Mike
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super report !
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    On Friday I recall we were discussing the possible snowstorm on Sunday. Good thing you got out on Saturday. Besides, it wasn't worth your while to stay until Sunday.

My flight out of Denver on Friday night was at 10:15pm so after I left the show on Friday I headed up to Blackhawk. When it was 66 degrees in Denver it was 35 degrees in Blackhawk with snow flurries. You were better off cancelling the trip up to Blackhawk.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Great report Charmy.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy... super pictures..... no wine pictures though..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Great report Charmy... super pictures..... no wine pictures though..... Cheers, RickO >>

I did bring the bottle of Washington wine I received as a gift during the Tukwila show and several of us drank that at the show. But other than that, most of the places I dined at were not necessarily "wine worthy" so I went with other beverages.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy,

Thanks for your help finding some great RAW Indians. They look great in my tepee.

You made a good decision to leave when you did:

And it is still snowing today........

OINK
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like that down here in the Springs.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Good report, Charmy. Glad you missed the snow.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super report!
    Thanks for sharing!

And for you braddick....
    That was a very dangerous move!!!
    All for a penny?
    Why.... You easily could have thrown your back out, fallen over, or worse yet, ticked off an elephant! image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Usually, my hubby picks me up at the airport, but right now he is fulfilling one of his dreams this week – he is driving a race car in the NORRA Mexican 1000 race! It’s a 1300+ mile off-road race from Ensenada to Baja/Cabo and is similar to the Baja 1000. He and his partner bought a race buggy and have spent the past year refurbishing and preparing it for this grueling race, which began today (Sunday)! They even got several people/businesses to help sponsor them – including lil ol me! (Note the small oval “The Penny Lady” sticker next to the “T-Fab” sticker on the front side panel of the car.)

image >>

Wow, that's very exciting and totally unexpected. Good luck to your husband!

Excellent report!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file