Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When you see a penny on the ground.....

Do you pick it up because you are "frugal" or because you want to see the date!

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's heads-up I pick it up if no one is looking image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    I pick one or all of them up.........I get laughed at.......no problem. Throwing coins away is disrespectful to the country.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I point it out to whoever I'm with and let them pick it up. If I am alone I pick it up...nobody sees!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About a couple of months ago picked up a cent on the floor at Target store and it turned out to be a '51-D and that is why I always pick them up.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the tails side is up and it's a Wheatie, sure. Otherwise, no
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither.

I never pick up pennies, nickels or dimes off the ground..
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It stays on the ground.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    There is one outside my office and been there for over a week.

I think the ground has gotten to far away as I got older. Don't know why others don't pick it up though.

Richard
  • Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Both, I think. It's usually a memorial cent, but it's tax free income, donchaknow?
    --Craig
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both, I think. It's usually a memorial cent, but it's tax free income, donchaknow? >>

To Warren Buffet it would be the start of his next billion!
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I do. If it's copper, I keep it. Zinc, back on the ground it goes.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick them up.
    Sure, I get laughed at.
    "A penny saved is a penny earned"
    And, "hope springs eternal"

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I pick one or all of them up.........I get laughed at.......no problem. Throwing coins away is disrespectful to the country. >>

I've always thought that, too.

So I pick them up.

Probably the food to replace the calories expended in getting my 6' plus frame to the ground and back costs over a penny.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other day my Indian proof slab fell off my desk on to the floor. I picked it up.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually pick it up. image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been picking up all coins I see since I was a little kid. Still do today, gets a quick peek for anything silver/foreign/odd and then thrown in the bank roller thing and once/year I take those rolls to the bank. Got a dime, 2 pennies, and a silver war nickel the other day actually at the gas station by the pump, that nickel got put aside.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you pick it up because you are "frugal" or because you want to see the date! >>

i pick it up because it's money. does that make me frugal? i don't consider myself frugal, but maybe i am.

i do check the date though. zincs i put in rolls and deposit in the bank. coppers i put in a jar.

many times i find more than just pennies on the ground. i found a $100 bill once. i watched people step on it before i got to it.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I snag them all unless I'm too preoccupied from picking up empty aluminum cans. When I pick up a penny I always think to myself only 99,999,999 more before I'm a millionaire!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will always pick the penny up and make it mine. Why? A penny (1899 IHC) found in the dirt I was digging in long ago is what kindled my interest in coin collecting.

I do confess to tuning my metal detector to not pick up zinc pennies.The zinc peeny that's been in the ground for awhile makes better fertilizer for the grass than it does spending money.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do more than notice them; I look for them.
    And I pick up every one.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i'm in a rush i'll pass never want a panny to hold up a dollar. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always pick up any coin I see on the ground..... just makes sense....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick it up, regardless if anyone is watching.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Neither.

I never pick up pennies, nickels or dimes off the ground.. >>

Or quarters.

Any money I leave on the ground that others might later pick up is NOT left in the spirit of either numismatic or financial generosity. Even if I dropped it myself.

Enlightened self-interest perhaps, but I think of it as pragmatic..

I figure the money left behind is less than a co-pay for my chiropractor.

If I missed a Strawberry Leaf I haven't heard about it locally. . . . image

In another of my numismatic Tales from the Crypt I offer....

I have left maybe 25 counterfeit Maple Leafs seized as evidence in an attempted sting. They are round and golden-colored and have the Queen, but are arm's-length obvious.

A couple of times a year, I take a couple to a major show and silently drop one near a table. Dealer side...., collector side.... I wish I had video tape. . . . . image

For Parsippany attendees, some whom might known of his specific table location and history, additional amusement. There is a (to some) "known thief" who sets up there. His Maple Leaf required quite subtle surreptitious placement. Closer to the dealer side of the table yet still visible to the aisle-based viewer. Two "knowledgeable" friends also watched discreetly. . . . . image

I know I hit a hot button. No names is public. But it should be easy to figure out. All PMs on this will be ignored.

Ask any dealer you know at the show who doesn't specialize in Standing Quarters if he ever heard about a $100K S-Mint coin that went missing at Bowers lot pickup about 5-6 years ago.

Security tapes were checked. No "hand-with-a-coin-in-it" moment. Auction company employees were grilled for a week.

Both TPGs were given the images, and a bit less than a year later the coin was submitted and easily identified. The submitter, who was easily placed in the lot pickup situated nearby the purchaser (no hand-with-a-coin-in-it moment, but one of quite a few within 10 feet of the Bowers pickup table) averred that he bought the coin at some show or another for $10,000 green, no receipt, no invoice. The owner got the coin back, then back into the holder, no one was charged, and now a few more people know. Even though his check might be good, many, myself included, wouldn't take his cash if he counted it wearing rubber gloves. . . image

Please let's treat the standard moralizations as Off Topic. Submitted as a comic twist at the happy ending to an ugly story.

And now back to Silly thread!! Happy thread!! . . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick it up.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick them up. In fact, not only that, I actively look for ground coins.

I used to have a job where I did a lot of driving. When I stopped at a convenience store for coffee I'd always look on the ground. One day I decided to keep a container
    in the car to see how much I picked up over one year. It came out to $28 and change.

I have a nice 5 gallon water jug that I fill with pocket change and stuff from the ground. When it gets filled I empty it & buy coins for my collection. Last time I emptied it
    there was over $1,000. It took about 4 years to fill, so on the average there was roughly $120 from the ground.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do more than notice them; I look for them.
    And I pick up every one. >>

Me too!
    Becky
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epoxying a dime to the sidewalk can be entertaining. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never say no to free money so I'll pick it up.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Always pick up every coin and into the 1/3 full 5 gallon water jug I toss my change into daily.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both
  • Options

<< <i>Risk of suffering an injury is too great... It's simply not worth the risk to pick up cents or nickels. >>

• Options

You young kids need to start an exercise program Stat!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Epoxying a dime to the sidewalk can be entertaining. image >>

That's why people like me carry chisels. ;

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember those advertising cards shaped as folded Benjamins. We used to them all the time. Dropped on the floor. Who wouldn't bend over for a closer look?

I was riding to a show upstate NY 6 hrs from home via the NY Thruway when we pulled over to a rest stop. I could have cared less, but my co-pilot couldn't get enough of Ms. PacMan at the time. 15 minutes after Dealer X hits the Game Room I come to get him and see him, rather than bent over the flashing screen, standing in the middle of the floor. I quizzically shrug at him, he silently gestures "away", and 5 minutes later he comes out huddled over like someone who'd just looted the poor box.

"Around the corner"

Step step step....

Flashing a usable Benjamin.... "I saw this on the floor, so I went over and stood on it. It took 10 minutes for the last person in there when I came to finally get out of there."

The same dealer has been known expend 20+ minutes of his life to save $1.25 in tolls by taking the Commodore Perry Bridge instead of the Delaware Memorial and getting back on I-95 15 miles further north. This on the way from Balt to just about NYC with a quarter mil in the briefcase next to him.

For one reason or the other, or another (Turnpike, 1 AM, 110MPH), or maybe yet another, his ridership is down.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick 'em up, though my knees are getting bad and I have to bend at the waist to do so.

A couple of years ago my find turned out to not be the crummy Zincoln I'd half expected.

It turned out to be one of my more interesting finds, actually.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i pick up all free money image
    & i always check the date
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Find a penny
    Pick it up
    All day long
    Have good luck image
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    When I was young I was taught by my older brothers that you only pick up pennies that are face up and then you make the sign of the cross where it lay and offer it up to God. Not sure where that all came from but I still pick up pennies and cross the ground to this day.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think of the deficit and scratch my orbs.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I pick up all coins, all the time.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it looks even a tiny bit like a zinc cent, it stays on the ground. If I can tell with reasonable certainty that it's copper, I pick it up.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Yea, frugal and I wanna see the date.

I still have every coin/bill I've found over the past 7-10 years.

The bowl needs to be updated, that was 5 years ago.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm to old to bend over for a pennyimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    What do you do if you see a dime? I know of an old guy that saw a dime, tried to pick it up, lost his balance and
    broke his arm. Oh well, being at work, in the parking lot, he was covered. Gave everyone something to talk about
    at work.

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Always pickup change on the ground. Heads up,Tails up,reguardless IT'S MINE.

Ken.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a little math......

If it takes 5 seconds to pick it up, that's equal to a wage of $7.20 per hour. If you make more than that, it's literally not worth your time.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always pick them up and check them. It is amazing how much my kids and I have found over the last 10 years or so. My son is especially adept at finding money which is surprising as does not seem to be overly observant in other areas, ex: 'Did you pick up your dirty socks in the living room?' 'What dirty socks, I was just in there and did not see any.'

K
    ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file