Home U.S. Coin Forum

2014 Proof Kennedy Half...Did Anyone Else Notice?

RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
I opened two 2014 proof sets and in both, the obverse of the Kennedy Half looks like it has an indented circle around most of the face, in line with the bottom of the lettering in Liberty and date.

Has anyone else noticed this effect on their Kennedy halfs...it almost looks like the die or the blank produced a weird "bottlecap" type effect.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photos?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just checked mine. If I tilt the holder at the right angle in a circle I can see what your referring to. I see it on the 2013 set Kennedy too so it looks normal and not an error.

There was a thread when the proof sets with Lincoln came out. They appeared to have concentric circles on them.

As it turned out, popping open the case and removing the coins from the inserts showed the circles were on the inserts.

Try removing the coin.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not able to photograph it at the moment; but it's definitely not a ripple in the plastic.

Like I said, it's almost as if the obverse die had an issue that resulted in a circular indentation.

But it's pretty obvious.
    Right...not an error per se, but a distraction; I rather if my coins didn't have it.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not able to photograph it at the moment; but it's definitely not a ripple in the plastic.

Like I said, it's almost as if the obverse die had an issue that resulted in a circular indentation.

But it's pretty obvious. >>

Did you take the top of the case off to verify?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Yeah, we were sure it was on Lincoln until someone took the coin out of the insert.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the OP is going to open the proof set.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accented face variety

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>I don't think the OP is going to open the proof set. >>

Why?

I mean, its not like they are sealed. The tops just slip on and slip off.

Maybe he'd prefer to send it in the NGC so that they can validate that its the case like the 2014-W Gold coins? They supposedly didn't have a mint mart. Turns out, the coin was in the air tight in such a way as to "hide" the mint mark.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    You can slip the coin out of the holder in a standard proof set? Really? This isn't an Eagle type capsule.

But anyhow, would the holder only be distorting the look of one of the six coins?
    It happened with the proof Lincoln.

Unlike the capsules, work all the edges up in tiny increments.

It snaps back together.

The coin can be popped out of the insert onto the lid. I used a qtip on the rim to push it back in.

the lincoln thread

<< <i>You can slip the coin out of the holder in a standard proof set? Really? This isn't an Eagle type capsule.

But anyhow, would the holder only be distorting the look of one of the six coins? >>

Yes and yes.

I'm quite surprised that you did not know this as US Mint Proof Sets have NOT been sealed since the 1999 sets were introduced with the multiple lens sets.

The name is LEE!
    no pictures from me

but my proof kennedy ... while in the plastic "lens" ...

imagine a new zincoln cent with a die failing near the perimeter. the fields are roughly flat then take and abrupt turn up near the rim.

While inside the lens, both the obverse of the Kennedy and the Native American dollar exhibit this effect.

once removed from the plastic lens and the plastic insert, both show flat fields and that the plastic insert is causing the effect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file