Home U.S. Coin Forum

EAC collectors where can you buy a camel hair brush...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Or even better how do you learn to use one image

As I swear every dealer that's ever reached for one at a show turns to their side so you can't observe the proper stroking method! image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A quick google search produced numerous results for where you can purchase one!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A quick google search produced numerous results for where you can purchase one! >>

I goggled before posting and saw nothing like the camel hair brushes used by copper enthusiasts.

They look more like very short bristled draftsman brushes but camel haired instead of horse or white goat image
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Rod Burress, PM me for his info

www.brunkauctions.com

<< <i>Rod Burress, PM me for his info >>

Thanks PM'g now image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine from Rod.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't know Rod was a source for camel hair brushes.....The only thing I ever got from Rod is a '96 liberty cap large cent image
    I made my wife scour art supply stores to find some. But frankly I get good results from worn Q-tips that have Blue Ribbon
    residue on them.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>Didn't know Rod was a source for camel hair brushes.....The only thing I ever got from Rod is a '96 liberty cap large cent image
    I made my wife scour art supply stores to find some. But frankly I get good results from worn Q-tips that have Blue Ribbon
    residue on them. >>

Glad you mentioned the blue ribbon residue toward then end of the sentence mentioning worn Q-Tips! imageimage
  • I used to have my brushes for my miniature handmade with Mongoose (not here). Well made brushes last a lifetime. There is "mongoose" and then Mongoose. Anyway, it was very difficult to get true Kolinsky sable and so on. I do not use Kolinsky (just mongoose and belly bristle) but much of what is sold is not true. Like Mahogany and "mahogany". Anyway, "camel" even in a wonderful artists supply like the 12 story Pearl Paint or even the ancient NY Central Art Supply - may not be camel. Just my .02. Raphael used to make decent brushes.

Eric
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Broadstruck, if you can't find what you want, give me a call!

Signed, Clarence
    Mark

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that a broken-in camel hair brush is preferred over a new one. Do camel hair brushes with prominent EAC pedigrees sell for Big Money at EAC auctions?

<< <i>Hey Broadstruck, if you can't find what you want, give me a call!

Signed, Clarence
    image >>

Sure but only if it's the #4 jewelers grade short bristled gauged camel hair preferred for coins! image

• << <i>My understanding is that a broken-in camel hair brush is preferred over a new one. Do camel hair brushes with prominent EAC pedigrees sell for Big Money at EAC auctions? >>

I would bet yes on both counts.

Eric
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Broad --
    After you get the brush from Rod, get a roll of cheap English large cents and Blue Ribbon (available but expensive but a bottle goes a long time). Coat the OEP's lightly and brush them until pink. It is easier to hold the OEP's with pliers. You want to do this until the brush gets a nice green color and be prepared to spend 60-80 hours. I did it while watching sporting events on the tube. Some people recommend not using the brushes on MS coins but never had enough of them to really get into that one. I do a "refresh" on the brush several time a year. You can never use the brush too much unless the hairs fall out.

<< <i>Broad --
    After you get the brush from Rod, get a roll of cheap English large cents and Blue Ribbon (available but expensive but a bottle goes a long time). Coat the OEP's lightly and brush them until pink. It is easier to hold the OEP's with pliers. You want to do this until the brush gets a nice green color and be prepared to spend 60-80 hours. I did it while watching sporting events on the tube. Some people recommend not using the brushes on MS coins but never had enough of them to really get into that one. I do a "refresh" on the brush several time a year. You can never use the brush too much unless the hairs fall out. >>

Wowzers as that's one heck of a long term commitment just for proper brush conditioning image

Did you at least spend 30-40 hours on each arm or did you look like this guy below once completed image

imageimage
  • Blue Ribbon (Pabst or not...)? Isn't that the oily stuff that changes the refractive index and makes coins appear slick and or colored (after a dip in acetone or something)?
    I thought all these years these brushes accumulated natural oils/material from early copper coins very slowly and were favored for that reason?

Eric
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking an old dirty paintbrush of any type hair would hairline the hell out of anything. If it's too worn to see hairlines it's prob too far gone for a brush to help. Seems like too much risk for little return, IMO. I prefer to leave my coins alone or are we supposed to prep them like fossils?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically a good guality lens cleaning brush

• << <i>Basically a good guality lens cleaning brush >>

What about the Blue Ribbon part?

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file