Home U.S. Coin Forum

$5 1843 Dahlonega Unique Specimen NGC SP65 - Only known SPECIMEN or PROOF from the Dahlonega Mint

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget you'll also earn $100.00 in eBay Bucks image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great description from Mike Byers that deserves to be saved outside of the auction IMO:

<< <i>$5 1843 Dahlonega Unique Specimen NGC SP 65

The only known SPECIMEN or PROOF of ANY denomination from the Dahlonega Branch Mint

This 1843 half eagle was struck at the Dahlonega Mint and is the only known or certified specimen or proof Dahlonega gold piece of any denomination. This coin is graded an impressive Specimen 65 by NGC, which is a rare designation by both NGC and PCGS.

This half eagle is listed in the Encyclopedia of U.S. Gold Coins 1795-1933 by Jeff Garrett and Ron Guth. Here is the description from page 288:

<< <i>One extraordinary example of the 1843-D half eagle is known that has been certified by NGC as Specimen. The coin is deeply mirrored, and extremely well struck. The coin was probably a presentation striking of some sort. The occasion for the issue is unknown. The quality of the piece is exceptional as well, and the coin currently has been assigned a Specimen-65 rating. Branch-mint Proof and specimen issues are always interesting, and this coin certainly does not disappoint. >>

John Garrett purchased this specimen from the Haseltine's 69th sale in January 1884. It was considered a proof for nearly 100 years. Garrett's collection was sold by Stack's in March 1976, including this 1843 half eagle (lot 375), and is considered the greatest coin collection of all time. In this sale, the cataloger gave the opinion that it was stuck as a proof. When Garrett purchased this remarkable coin, there had never been rumors of a known specimen or proof from the Dahlonega Branch Mint in Georgia. This specimen was not only preserved during Garrett's lifetime in his collection but also at John's Hopkins University who inherited his coin collection.

This coin was initially authenticated and graded by PCGS as MS 64. The PCGS population report shows this MS 64 as the finest known. It sold in the Harry Bass Jr collection in October 1999 (lot 923). Subsequently, this piece has now been authenticated and graded as Specimen 65 by NGC. The NGC population report shows one MS 64 and nothing higher. The MS 64 from NGC is pedigreed to the Duke collection which is the all-time finest collection from a standpoint of quality and rarity and even the Duke collection just had a MS 64. This unique half eagle is listed in the proof section of the NGC Coin Explorer as a Specimen.

All Branch Mint gold coins of proof or specimen status are of the highest rarity of United States coins. In the early nineteenth century, the discovery of gold in the southeastern United States led to the Congressional Act of March 3, 1835 establishing United States Branch Mints at Dahlonega, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina. The gold coins from these Branch Mints are among the most avidly collected in all of American numismatics. The Dahlonega Mint utilized state-of-the-art steam-driven presses of the same design that was first used in 1836 at the Philadelphia Mint. Only gold coins were struck with denominations including half eagles ($5), three dollar pieces, quarter eagles ($2.50), and one dollar pieces. The Dahlonega Mint operated for 24 calendar years and produced relatively low mintages. Half eagles were struck for each year of operation with a total mintage of 1,109,258 coins. In addition to the low mintages, Dahlonega coins are scarce and some are rare. During this first gold rush, the Dahlonega Mint was hurriedly constructed in a remote location and suffered numerous production and minting problems. Many coins were struck on imperfect planchets or were weakly struck. Few are known in mint state condition.

There are very few specimen and proof United States Branch Mint gold coins that were struck. An 1853 New Orleans $10 Liberty certified Specimen 61 by NGC sold in August 2010 for $316,250. A 1907 Denver $20 Liberty certified Specimen 66 by PCGS (1 of 4 known) sold wholesale for $400,000. A 1795 $5 Heraldic Eagle was certified Specimen 64 by NGC. An 1856 New Orleans $20 certified Specimen 63 by both PCGS and NGC recently sold in a private sale for $1.8M. An 1800 $10 was certified Specimen 65 by NGC. A 1921 $20 St. Gaudens sold for $1.4M prior to being certified Specimen 64 by NGC.

The majority of 1843-D Half Eagles are very heavily abraded with distracting marks in the fields. Often they come somewhat weakly struck as well. The devices on this specimen show deep frost on all central devices as well as the date, stars, lettering and mint mark. This cameo look is contrasted by fully reflected mirror-like fields. Slight copper-gold toning is noticed around the rims adding to the originality of this coin. The coin exhibits virtually a full proof surface and an extreme sharp strike with square borders and edges. In choice uncirculated condition or better, the 1843 Dahlonega gold piece is rare with only ten or so certified. Considering the primitive and rustic conditions in the 1840's at the Dahlonega Mint this Specimen $5 is a gem preserved unique rarity. >>

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was anything of interest going on in Dahlonega, Ga. in 1843?
    Why would they have gone to the effort to produce such a specimen?
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was anything of interest going on in Dahlonega, Ga. in 1843?
    Why would they have gone to the effort to produce such a specimen? >>

Colonel James Fairlie Cooper became the 3rd Superintendent of the Dahlonega Mint in 1843. Perhaps the changing of the guard was a special occasion?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad there's no option to "MAKE OFFER".

Seriously, I remember drooling over this coin when I received the Garrett auction catalog in the mail in 1976. And here we are, 38 years later. Amazing.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be interesting to see how much this coin would go for in a live auction.
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad there's no option to "MAKE OFFER".

Seriously, I remember drooling over this coin when I received the Garrett auction catalog in the mail in 1976. And here we are, 38 years later. Amazing. >>

I've heard of this guy taking strOng offers just so he didn't have to sit on inventory for to long.. give it a shot I'm rooting for ya image
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was anything of interest going on in Dahlonega, Ga. in 1843?
    Why would they have gone to the effort to produce such a specimen? >>

why the mint(s) made the decisions they did mid-19th cen. this is a good inquiry for its very own thread!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

<< <i>Too bad there's no option to "MAKE OFFER".

Seriously, I remember drooling over this coin when I received the Garrett auction catalog in the mail in 1976. And here we are, 38 years later. Amazing. >>

MrEureka, For your re-drooling pleasure here's the auction page...

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having seen the coin in-hand in the NGC holder, I'd share my observations.

I think it's been in the NGC holder for about 10 years. Many dealers have see it at auction or on the bourse. An enormous number of them go "OMG! That can't exist!". In terms of best single emission from a branch Mint, it's up there with the Norweb 64-S and Eliasberg 76-CC

The photo pretty accurately shows the way the coin faces up in terms of strike depth and device/field contrast. Sui generis. What's not so apparent in the photo is the very heavily striated nature of the fields. They are "interesting". They go black; plenty in terms of visceral

Perhaps the best ever have argued over the Specimen status of this coin. I've been a fly on the wall when Dave Akers, Doug Winter, John Dannreuther, Fred Weinberg, Dave McCarthy and others have discussed this piece. I don't even remember what their opinions and the reasons behind them might have been. They all made sense.

Provenance begins long after it was minted. No one can document why it was made and it's not recorded as a special striking, so PCGS won't call it a Specimen as it doesn't carry all (or enough) of the accepted signs and markers. Special nomenclature for special coins.

My take...Totally unlike than of any other D-Mint coin made when viewed in terms of overall fabric, clearly not proof, clearly very specially made. A total anomaly in terms of Southern Gold except for the Parmelee PF65 1844-O $10 Bob Lecce had a decade or two ago. IIRC the Parmelee Proof 1844-O $5 has not been seen since that nineteenth century sale.

edited to add: I have only seen the coin in its NGC holder, not, as mistakenly stated above (and changed), the PCGS slab.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    What was the buyers premium at Stack's in 1976 as I can't find the percentage mentioned anywhere in the catalog or price sheet... 10% image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the buyers premium at Stack's in 1976 as I can't find the percentage mentioned anywhere in the catalog or price sheet... 10%

There was no BP back then. IIRC, it was introduced in 1984.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pcgs scales tipped to MS for that coin?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>What was the buyers premium at Stack's in 1976 as I can't find the percentage mentioned anywhere in the catalog or price sheet... 10%

There was no BP back then. IIRC, it was introduced in 1984. >>

Thanks for the info as I wasn't aware of this! image
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Coin Facts:

David Akers: In 1981, I, along with Tom Mulvaney and Harry Bass, Jr., had the opportunity to examine a wonderful collection in Dallas, Texas, which is largely unknown to the numismatic world. One of the most exciting coins in the collection was the unique 1844-O half eagle in proof that is pedigreed to the Parmelee, Woodin, Newcomer and Farouk collections. The quality of the coin was absolutely amazing, equal to any of the finest known proof Liberty Head half eagles of the late 1890's and early 1900's. In my notes on the collection, I wrote simply "1844-O $5, Gem Proof 67. Virtually perfect. Wow!" Tom, Harry and I all agreed that it was one of the greatest coins we had ever seen.

<< <i>From Coin Facts:

David Akers: In 1981, I, along with Tom Mulvaney and Harry Bass, Jr., had the opportunity to examine a wonderful collection in Dallas, Texas, which is largely unknown to the numismatic world. One of the most exciting coins in the collection was the unique 1844-O half eagle in proof that is pedigreed to the Parmelee, Woodin, Newcomer and Farouk collections. The quality of the coin was absolutely amazing, equal to any of the finest known proof Liberty Head half eagles of the late 1890's and early 1900's. In my notes on the collection, I wrote simply "1844-O $5, Gem Proof 67. Virtually perfect. Wow!" Tom, Harry and I all agreed that it was one of the greatest coins we had ever seen. >>

Apparently I should read more Coinfacts. Has anyone heard of this coin since then? Dave never mentioned this piece to me in 30+ years. Sounds likely it was in the Dallas Bank (Jeff Browning) Collection, though this is pure speculation on my part. LOL, "nobody's" seen his 1933 $20, yet I'll very much trust the first-hand report of Paul Nugget. I'll have to be satisfied with that one longing look at that '44-O $10.

Edited to add: Neither service has graded the '44-O $5. At the time I was shown the 44-O $10 it was in an NGC PF65UCAM holder; it is still listed in the NGC census. Coinfacts now notes it to be PCGS SPBM 64, but sadly does not have it pictured. I guess, like so many other things, you just hadda be there. . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I coulda swore that I saw the pair of 44-O coins offered on eBay in the past five years

<< <i>I coulda swore that I saw the pair of 44-O coins offered on eBay in the past five years >>

Based on pop reports, you saw the $5 raw or it was in a fake slab (!). Please check Ebay and post a link (if possible). I'd love to see an image if one is available.

I like to read about coins; it's just that I like fondling them more. Reading history? I'd rather live it. Some of you younger lads missed some really good fun in the 70's and 80's. . . image
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Here is a picture I had saved on my computer of the 1844-O $10 NGC SP66CAM. Not sure where the picture came from.

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From Coin Facts:

David Akers: In 1981, I, along with Tom Mulvaney and Harry Bass, Jr., had the opportunity to examine a wonderful collection in Dallas, Texas, which is largely unknown to the numismatic world. One of the most exciting coins in the collection was the unique 1844-O half eagle in proof that is pedigreed to the Parmelee, Woodin, Newcomer and Farouk collections. The quality of the coin was absolutely amazing, equal to any of the finest known proof Liberty Head half eagles of the late 1890's and early 1900's. In my notes on the collection, I wrote simply "1844-O $5, Gem Proof 67. Virtually perfect. Wow!" Tom, Harry and I all agreed that it was one of the greatest coins we had ever seen. >>

Apparently I should read more Coinfacts. Has anyone heard of this coin since then? Dave never mentioned this piece to me in 30+ years. Sounds likely it was in the Dallas Bank (Jeff Browning) Collection, though this is pure speculation on my part. LOL, "nobody's" seen his 1933 $20, yet I'll very much trust the first-hand report of Paul Nugget. I'll have to be satisfied with that one longing look at that '44-O $10.

Edited to add: Neither service has graded the '44-O $5. At the time I was shown the 44-O $10 it was in an NGC PF65UCAM holder; it is still listed in the NGC census. Coinfacts now notes it to be PCGS SPBM 64, but sadly does not have it pictured. I guess, like so many other things, you just hadda be there. . . image >>

In my files I have a flyer that was issued by Mike Brownlee and Robert Lecce, in conjunction with the 1995 Early Spring ANA in Atlanta, that announced the re-discovery of the Parmelee 1844-O Eagle Proof, which was on display at the show. The flyer stated that the Parmelee 1844-O Half Eagle Proof resided "in a private collection in Texas, according to Brownlee."
    "Clamorous for Coin"
    Thanks. Mike Brownlee (Goliad) bought for both Bass and Browning. A shame that all involved have passed. . . image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file