Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If fresh dies make DMPL Morgan Dollars...

Why aren't there other series that have a "proof like" look to them? Never heard of a "proof like" mercury dime or barber quarter for example. I know they minted actual proofs for almost every series so shouldn't some of the business strikes be proof like from being struck from fresh dies? Or maybe they're so rare I haven't seen any.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Not just fresh dies, but dies that underwent basining and were then excessively buffed/polished, created DMPL's. You can have a LDS DMPL coin if the dies were resurfaced at some point during production, just the same as you can have, and more commonly have, EDS DMPL's. >>

Interesting. Thank you for the fast response!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are other prooflike coins too, but they're not seen as often as PL Morgans. If you think about the die surface, the fields are the highest point and the devices are recessed. On a Morgan they were also basined, meaning produced on a single curved surface, as opposed to many other coins where the fields are flat or irregular. The guys making Morgans would often go the extra mile to polish the dies very carefully, producing the mirrored effect.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>Why aren't there other series that have a "proof like" look to them? Never heard of a "proof like" mercury dime or barber quarter for example. I know they minted actual proofs for almost every series so shouldn't some of the business strikes be proof like from being struck from fresh dies? Or maybe they're so rare I haven't seen any. >>

They do exist, and I collect them. PCGS won't designate older U.S. coins except Morgan Dollars as PL, but they do exist! Here is a tiny sampling of some of my pieces:

1833 Half Cent NGC MS62 BN PL - That's a die clash reflecting in the mirrors on the reverse - not a liquid!

1941-S Mercury Dime NGC MS67FB CAC PL - The die polish lines are much less conspicuous in hand.
    imageimage

1891-S Seated Liberty Quarter NGC MS64 PL - The mirrors are strong and unquestionable in hand despite the photos.

1909 -D Barber Quarter Old ANACS MS62 PL = Those are die polish lines and not hairlines - the coin is more attractive in hand

• Options
    Thank you BryceM and Coinguy. Also WOW at that PL Half cent and mercury dime. Awesome pieces.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a Barber Dime I got from Pinnacle a few years ago. There are some pretty extensive vertical die-polish lines, but it's quite proof-like in hand.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trun over alot of rocks and you will find a gold nuget here and there. It works the same way with coins. Nice coins every one. imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also consider how the majority of DMPL Morgans are limited to a few select years/mints. The design didn't change, but the quality did. This gives insight that something in the production process must have changed, and certainly new dies were used every year. The only factor left would be either the quality/preparation of the die or the blank planchets.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    In the link below is a link to a fellow collectors Proof like US Type Set. Prepare to be amazedAmazing PL Type Set
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice coins there coinguy..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Here's a link to a thread ATS that has some good comments from RWB - especially on the third page:

Link

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options

<< <i>Here's a link to a thread ATS that has some good comments from RWB - especially on the third page:

Link >>

Just read all three pages. I have been soaking up all the info they have provided as well as the info members on this forum have provided. It is MUCH appreciated. Thank you everyone!!
  • Options
    Did u look at the PL Type Set?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>Did u look at the PL Type Set? >>

Are you talking about the sets from the member "Physicsfan3.13"? If so yes I am currently viewing them. If you're not talking about those then I apologize I may have skimmed over something as I am on a little cellphone screen to browse.
  • Options
    Yes i put the link in my post for you last night. I'm glad u are looking at them. Jason has an amazing eye and a leprechaun in his pocket when it comes to finding those rare PL seated and barbers and capped bust coinage.. hope u got some insight from all of this.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file