Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: 2016 Native American Dollar Design Candidates (Poll Added)
Created On Friday March 14, 2014 9:47 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]

WingedLiberty1957
Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 9:47 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

(Just copied this thread and added a poll)

I just saw these 2016 Native American Dollar design candidates in the Mint News Blog.
Most of them are pretty bad. However I REALLY LIKE #1 through #3 (which are all similar)
I suppose my favorite is #3 with that eagle design and the frosting that adds relief.

The ones from #4 on are just too literal for my taste (which is a mistake the USMint seems to make a lot these days)

I love the Eagle Design in #1 through #3 ... that is a GREAT new rendition of our national bird.
And I thought I had seen all the good eagle designs.
It almost has an art deco like appeal (something you might have seen in the 1920's or 1930's, which is probably why I like it)

Just curious which design you would vote for?

My vote is for #3 or #1 or #2 as alternates -- any of the top 3 would be fine with me.

Edited: Friday March 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM by WingedLiberty1957

Bottom

ricko
Sagacious Maven

Friday March 14, 2014 10:30 AM

Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO

Bottom

WingedLiberty1957
Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 10:36 AM

<< Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO >>

I love that idea!

Bottom

SaorAlba
Master Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 10:38 AM

None of the above - all very uninspired clipart designs.

-------------------------
In Memory of Ukraine ~ 1991 - 2014 - betrayed by it's president, overrun by Russia and forgotten by the West.

Bottom

bronco2078
Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 10:46 AM

User is online View users profile View thread in raw text format

Whats with all the world war 2 themes? Haven't they made about 50 boring coins dealing with that already?

Bottom

WingedLiberty1957
Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 10:52 AM

<< Whats with all the world war 2 themes? Haven't they made about 50 boring coins dealing with that already? >>

This coin is honoring the "code talkers" in WW1 and 2.

From Wikipedia ...

Code talkers were people who used obscure languages as a means of secret communication during wartime. The term is now usually associated with the United States soldiers during the world wars who used their knowledge of Native-American languages as a basis to transmit coded messages. In particular, there were approximately 400-500 Native Americans in the United States Marine Corps whose primary job was the transmission of secret tactical messages. Code talkers transmitted these messages over military telephone or radio communications nets using formal or informally developed codes built upon their native languages. Their service improved communications in terms of speed of encryption at both ends in front line operations during World War II.

The name code talkers is strongly associated with bilingual Navajo speakers specially recruited during World War II by the Marines to serve in their standard communications units in the Pacific Theater. Code talking, however, was pioneered by Choctaw Indians serving in the U.S. Army during World War I. These soldiers are referred to as Choctaw code talkers.

Other Native American code talkers were deployed by the United States Army during World War II, including Cherokee, Choctaw, Lakota[1] Meskwaki, and Comanche soldiers. Soldiers of Basque ancestry were used for code talking by the U.S. Marines during World War II in areas where other Basque speakers were not expected to be operating.

Navajo was an attractive choice for code use because few people outside the Navajo themselves had ever learned to speak the language. Virtually no books in Navajo had ever been published.

Edited: Friday March 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM by WingedLiberty1957

Bottom

sumnom
Choose Your Title

Friday March 14, 2014 12:16 PM

<< Why not just let an Native American artist create the design?? This design by committee never produces real art. Cheers, RickO >>

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Bottom

lkeigwin
Choose Your Title

Friday March 14, 2014 12:33 PM

<< None of the above - all very uninspired clipart designs. >>

Lance.

Coin Photography Services / Wheaties registry / CBH registry

Bottom

nibanny
Expert Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 1:02 PM

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Bottom

BarberFanatic

Friday March 14, 2014 1:12 PM

My thoughts about ALL of the designs:

Not collecting Barbers anymore, but still loving the hobby!

Bottom

CalGold
Expert Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 1:23 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Because a Native American artist with even just a modicum of talent is likely to come up with a design that puts to shame the designs that committee has been approving for this series and commems.

CG

"I never said half the things I said."

Yogi Berra

Bottom

SaorAlba
Master Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 1:30 PM

<<

Because a Native American artist with even just a modicum of talent is likely to come up with a design that puts to shame the designs that committee has been approving for this series and commems.

CG
>>

In Memory of Ukraine ~ 1991 - 2014 - betrayed by it's president, overrun by Russia and forgotten by the West.

Bottom

FullStrike
Expert Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 1:50 PM

They keep coming up with garbage like this they need to get new jobs somewhere doing something productive.

*** urgent message for Mr. Osama(Twin Towers) Bin Laden : I have a free WTC "Death Coin" Set for you. Please reply with your shipping address. For the safety of your Coins they will be hand delivered by Armed Agents of the CIA Courier Services. *** Coins successfully delivered May 1, 2011

Bottom

LindeDad
Choose Your Title

Friday March 14, 2014 1:52 PM

And think we all would take more interest in the series. Small dollars seem to be a loser all around.

My eBay Store.

Bottom

magikbilly
Master Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 5:07 PM

<<

<<

CG
>>

>>

Would love to see what The Big Chief Will Sampson would come up with. Most know him from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Col. J might recall him from a previous Oregonian/Keysian incarnation via Nicholson/McClaine but Sampson was an accomplished painter.

Eric

"...to the fringes gladly, I walk unadorned, among gods and their creations, with filth and disease..."

Bottom

DIMEMAN
Master Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 5:46 PM

I voted for "none of the above"! I agree with all of the other detesters, but it really doesn't matter to me what they do because I don't buy "ANY" of mint crap anyway!

I am convinced there will "NEVER" "EVER" be another pretty coin made here in the good ole USA!!!!

Those days are gone forever!

My Complete Dime's

All Dimes All Varieties

Bottom

Goldbully
Choose Your Title

Friday March 14, 2014 5:55 PM

This series has loser written all over it.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Bottom

WillieBoyd2
Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 5:57 PM

The US Mint is still fighting World War II.

Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
The Egyptian Magic Coin, Coins in Movies and Television
The 1949 Mexico Restrike of the 1898 Peso for China

Bottom

FullStrike
Expert Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 6:13 PM

Youre on to something. With all the novel stuff ( Guitar shaped , Eiffel Tower shaped, Painted, Jeweled, Multi Metal, etc )
coming out of foreign mints, its like a World Coin War.

Let them keep lobbing out crap product. We can all just walk away.

*** urgent message for Mr. Osama(Twin Towers) Bin Laden : I have a free WTC "Death Coin" Set for you. Please reply with your shipping address. For the safety of your Coins they will be hand delivered by Armed Agents of the CIA Courier Services. *** Coins successfully delivered May 1, 2011

Bottom

Coinsponge
Expert Collector

Friday March 14, 2014 6:20 PM

<< My thoughts about ALL of the designs:

>>

Ditto!

When I scrolled down and saw the tops of the coin I thought hey now and then it moved to the bottom. Same old Mint. Indians in helmets. Mediocrity on parade.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.