Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why coin dealers drink part CCCCXII

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
Okay, this one isn't really drink-worthy. It's more for a chuckle. The vast majority of the public know nothing about coins nor should coin dealers expect them to know anything about coins. But some folks don't really make much of an effort. Here's a summation of a phone call I just had.

Her: Hi. I've got a few gold Maples and some gold Liberties to sell.

Me (assuming the "Liberties" are Gold Eagles, but in case they're actual $20 Libs, I want to clarify before quoting a price): Are the Liberties you mention Gold Eagles?

Her: No, just Liberties. There are no eagles on them.

Me (still assuming she has Gold Eagles, but now starting to wonder what these "eagle-less" coins are): What are the dates of the coins?

Her: Hmmm...I don't see any dates.

Me: Well, they must have dates on them. Please describe the design to me.

Her: Well, there's Liberty.

Me: Anything else?

Her: Oh, wait. There are eagles on the back.

Me (grinning to myself): Those are Gold Eagles. They are dated 1986 and later.

Her: Well, there's definitely no date.

Me: You'll find it on the front of the coin next to Lady Liberty.

Her: There's no date, but I do see some Roman Numerals.

Okay, she gets a pass for the Roman numerals thing. But perhaps if she had looked at both sides of the coin earlier on? image She was sweet and is coming in tomorrow to sell me her gold.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd enjoy a call like that so long as there is positivity, patience and humor.

i personally rather enjoy conversations where the other person doesn't know much, not necessarily for buying but for the the interest to learn and of course when they say silly things.

hopefully others here enjoy it when i do it. (thinking to themselves, "boy, he really doesn't know what the heck he is talking about but at least this is fun")

i wonder if you could have held back a chuckle if she would have said, oh wow, there is stuff on the back.

imageimageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay!

Now's my chance for a two fer...

Tell her I'll pay $5 more per ounce!
    (This and the things not to say to a coin dealer)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a customer (widow) bring her late husband's collection to the shop last year from a referral and a prior phone conversation. I was expecting to see mostly modern mint packaged sets, as that was about all that had been described prior to arrival. In the course of attempting to help her cart the many boxes full of material in from her vehicle, when I opened the liftgate of her minivan, the first box I reached for was an uncovered shoebox with a large zip lock bag in it. The bag had been in plain sight and contained over 20 - 1 ounce gold Eagles and Krugerrands. The look on her face when I told her that this bag alone was worth 25K - 30K was priceless. She had no clue before my remarks. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't hose her.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Would like to meet a woman with lots of gold who cannot find a date.........
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would like to meet a woman with lots of gold who cannot find a date......... >>

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had a customer (widow) bring her late husband's collection to the shop last year from a referral and a prior phone conversation. I was expecting to see mostly modern mint packaged sets, as that was about all that had been described prior to arrival. In the course of attempting to help her cart the many boxes full of material in from her vehicle, when I opened the liftgate of her minivan, the first box I reached for was an uncovered shoebox with a large zip lock bag in it. The bag had been in plain sight and contained over 20 - 1 ounce gold Eagles and Krugerrands. The look on her face when I told her that this bag alone was worth 25K - 30K was priceless. She had no clue before my remarks. image >>

I hope when my wife or kids decide to sell my collection they find someone who is as legit and honest as this guy.. I know 1 dealer who would have offered the lady 15 grand for 25 ounces
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>Please don't hose her. >>

Do you have reason to believe your request is necessary?
  • Options

<< <i>.i'd enjoy a call like that so long as there is positivity, patience and humor. >>

Those are qualities I admire too, Lance. Although, they seem to be in rather short supply.
    Don't you agree?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Please don't hose her. >>

Do you have reason to believe your request is necessary? >>

I'm sure he was joking but there are coin dealers out there that would take advantage of someone who obviously know nothing about coins.
    Edited to add that when one is joking you should add the "winky" so that everyone knows you are kidding.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would like to meet a woman with lots of gold who cannot find a date......... >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you will post a follow up (to the OP), and Coindeuce....what is the 'rest of the story'?? Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file