Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If given a choice, which would you choose:

If you had a choice of receiving one or the other of these,
which would you choose, and why?

a. a ten-pound bag of mixed, completely unsearched 19th-century silver dollars (types unspecified)

b. a ten-pound bag of mixed, completely unsearched 19th-century U.S. medals and tokens

Comments

• Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    I would honestly choose a single circulated common date silver dollar over option B, since I don't collect medals and tokens.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The tokens and medals would be cooler to sort through with all the different designs. That being said, I have NO clue about them so I'd have to go with the dollars.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the bag of dollars would probably be mostly Morgan dollars, I'd go for the medals and tokens. The medals and tokens probably would be a lot more interesting.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Dollars for me.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I presume the dollars would be worth more. Assuming I have no financial stake in this, I'd probably go with the medals as it would be a more interesting historical lesson. I don't know any medal collectors that collect many multiples of the same design; their collections are quite varied, so it'd certainly be fun to look through. A bag of silver dollars could be all 1881-s.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Suspect the medals and tokens would be substantially more valuable than the most likely, primarily common Morgan dollar bag.

I would send them to Dentuck for sorting. image
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

<< <i> A bag of silver dollars could be all 1881-s. >>

or it could be all 1893-s image

where do i go to collect this bag of dollars?
  • Options
    I have already searched thru bags of silver dollars.
    Never had the chance to go thru a bag of Medals/Tokens.
    I would go with the later just for the experience.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I take a quick peek into the bags, and then let you know ?image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Dollars.

Mike
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like medals and tokens a lot but I chose dollars because the probability of getting something worthwhile is higher for dollars - at least they are silver image

The % of interesting medals/tokens to all medals/tokens tends to be low for me.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just like silver dollars. I have several medals and tokens, and while interesting, the allure of the silver dollar has always been a weakness of mine - since I was a kid on a paper route. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tokens and medals are cool to see pics of and read about. But, dollars are fun to own!

Dollars.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    silver dollars would be my choice
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can be greedy sometimes so I'd want both

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Medals and tokens. I can't imagine the number of
    enjoyable hours spent researching them.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    a.

The medals and tokens could be interesting, but I would expect many of those to be things I just don't have any interest in.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a.

The medals and tokens could be interesting, but I would expect many of those to be things I just don't have any interest in. >>

I agree with John.
    I would take the dollars in a heartbeat, cherry pick them for better dates and VAMs, and sell them.

The proceeds would buy some nice Seated Liberty halves, dollars, and gold type coins.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    dollars, I know nothing about medals and such
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    As tempting as the silver dollars would be, I would go for the
    medals and tokens!

Early 1800s dollars might include various Bust types, Liberty
    Seated, even Gobrecht dollars. . . . but 1800s exonumia could
    include Washington medals, Hard Times and Civil War tokens,
    Lesher Referendum dollars, U.S. Assay medals (hey, we're
    talking theoretical here!), Indian Peace medals. . . . figure
    30 to 50 pieces per pound. . . . how could you resist?!

• Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    a. a ten-pound bag of mixed, completely unsearched 19th-century silver dollars (types unspecified)

Period, no question.

Steve
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather sort through a bag of SBAs than a bag of medals and tokens.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medals and tokens would be interesting but I like silver dollars better.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go for the dollars and use the money to buy medals and tokens that I have picked out myself!
  • Options
    I'd take the medals. More interesting and more to learn.

I don't collect medals, but there were a few in my grandfather's collection. As I've related elsewhere, I sold all of that and have been buying back what I can remember, find, and afford. I intend to extend that base, but probably only in the coins, not the exonumia. Just the same, sorting through, cataloging and learning about the medals would be fun.

You didn't specify whether we get to keep the sack. Either way, I'd take the medals. The dollars are probably worth more, but what's money for? It's to make us happy and the medals would probably give me more of that than I could buy with the dollars (unless they were all scarce dates).

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dollars, because I collect dollars.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather sort through a bag of SBAs than a bag of medals and tokens. >>

And I would rather sort through a bags of SBAs than a bag of Morgan dollars. I may be the only collector on the forum who not only does not own a single Morgan dollar but he has absolutely no interest in changing that situation.

Medals and tokens over what would probably be almost all Morgan dollars any day.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the dollars. I don't follow medals and tokens much. With the dollars I could at least understand what I had.
    Lance.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medals and tokens

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file