Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dave Wnuck @ HLRC

Just received a HLRC newsletter and noticed Dave didn't write an article this time and wasn't listed as a contact any longer at HLRC. Anyone know about Dave's whereabouts. I always enjoyed working with him and think highly of him. Thanks.
The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't received their newsletter yet, but Dave's phone number is still listed on the site.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed his absence immediately.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave has left HLRC.

He is now independent.

Good luck to Dave with his new firm!

http://www.davewcoins.com/
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dave has left HLRC.

He is now independent.

Good luck to Dave with his new firm!

http://www.davewcoins.com/ >>

Cool as I think I did see a davewcoins sign on here the other day as a new member?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You always at the mercy of an employer.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny- I too wondered where he was in the email and was hoping nothing bad happened.
    I hope his new ventures work out!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I noticed and popped here to find out what happened. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

That is great for Dave. I had a table next to him at Long Beach, but had no idea that he left HLRC. This must be very recent, as in days, not weeks. Best wishes to Dave and his new venture! I know he will do well.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have gotten him into trouble, asking for samples and Doilies in front of Harry.

Instead of throwing me out on my ear, Dave was polite and said he would try and help. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Dave is a class act. I wish him the very best!image
    No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck in the new venture image

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the best. tried to work with him via hlrc and was not an experience that would have led me to come back to hlrc.

shealyn as well as harry were great though. very pleased with them both.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Hi All -

Thought I would pop in here to say hello.

First off -- let me say that it is very flattering to be missed! Thanks to all who have called and emailed me to find out what was up, and to wish me well in my new business.

For those of you to wish to know "the rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey used to say on his radio show), here is the scoop. It was an amicable break between Harry Laibstain and I. We were good friends for many years before I went to work for HLRC, and we remain good friends today.

In the end it all came down to geography. Harry's business is based in Virginia; I make my home in Connecticut.

I came aboard the SS Harry Laibstain with the understanding that I wanted to remain in CT, but that I would travel to all the major shows and auctions on the circuit with the HLRC gang, and travel down to the offices in VA to help out when needed.

It became obvious after about a year and a half of doing it this way that I really needed to be down in VA full time to do my job properly. Since I am raising a family up here in CT (kids in school; wife with a career that is not mobile), I was not willing to do that.

Harry understood this completely, and we parted ways as friends just a few days ago. I plan on helping him out at a few upcoming shows to insure the transition runs smoothly.

As for my new gig -- I just hung out a shingle as "Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC" [Surprisingly, that business name was not taken yet. image ].

I plan on focusing on the same ol' stuff that I always have -- early American gold, silver and copper coinage, interesting and beautiful type coins, and a smattering of colonials and pioneer gold thrown into the mix.

And I will start issuing my very own emailed newsletters discussing industry events, and topics of current numismatic interest.

If you have an extra 15 minutes a month to kill and want to be put on the list to receive such emails, just drop me an email or PM me and I will put you on the list. I will try to maintain the same level of whimsy, attempted humor, and occasional interesting bits of numismatic knowledge that apparently I have become known for.

This is probably way, WAY more info than anyone cared to know, but there you have it.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options

<< <i>I might have gotten him into trouble, asking for samples and Doilies in front of Harry.

Instead of throwing me out on my ear, Dave was polite and said he would try and help. image >>

Actually, Lakesamman hit on the real reason ... Doily-mania!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I might have gotten him into trouble, asking for samples and Doilies in front of Harry.

Instead of throwing me out on my ear, Dave was polite and said he would try and help. image >>

Actually, Lakesamman hit on the real reason ... Doily-mania! >>

I figured! image All the best Dave you are a class act my friend...

ABimage
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck and see you around soon.

A great name for the new company would've been "Curt's Coins and Collectibles - C.C.C." image
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Dave. Look forward to working with you in the future.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and image
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see our old "coin friends"!

Same coin:

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options

<< <i>Nice to see our old "coin friends"!

Same coin:

image >>

Wow -- what a difference that TrueView made on your 1839-O 50c! It really brought out the beauty of that coin. Kudos to PCGS.

And if you ever want to sell that coin back, I know of a brand new website that could use a cool coin like that... image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I met Dave once in Long Beach. Nice guy, and very knowledgable. I wish him only the best in his new venture. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the new venture, Dave. And thanks for chatting a while with me at FUN. Very enjoyable. I'll PM you to get on your mailing list.

FWIW, I much prefer the first set of images of that '39-O. Looks like a lovely example of a tough coin.
    Lance.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the 1839-O is a great lookin coin, I wouldn't get carried away with the Trueview since they are known to be moneyshot and the time it will take you to duplicate its look while in hand may age you quite a bit. I will opine boldly and say the nonTrueView is the real look of the coin, just sayin. Still a great great piece and can understand why our own David would always be willing to buy I back. >>

i think it looks great in both photos.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I will always have the AU 1860 O dime and Pittman MS641839 O Harry sold me a few years back but kind HLRC I stopped getting emails offering coins that I might be interested in. He got too big for us little folks.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    All the best Dave!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience Dave has always been the epitome of class and a true asset to numismatics. Good luck, Dave.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>While the 1839-O is a great lookin coin, I wouldn't get carried away with the Trueview since they are known to be moneyshot and the time it will take you to duplicate its look while in hand may age you quite a bit. I will opine boldly and say the nonTrueView is the real look of the coin, just sayin. Still a great great piece and can understand why our own David would always be willing to buy I back. >>

i think it looks great in both photos. >>

image but probably pic #1 is realistic ie real and pic #2 is fantastic ie not real. >>

Why can't both be real??? I'm sure they are both accurate photos... seems like some of you have never rotated a nice coin under a light before!!!!

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I'll pm to be added to your list.

You are brave to go with Wnuck in your business name. For us illiterate people, good luck with Dave something Numismatics.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In my experience Dave has always been the epitome of class and a true asset to numismatics. Good luck, Dave.image >>

^^^^^^^

This

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was once scolded by Harry for being a nice guy

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

i think it looks great in both photos. >>

image but probably pic #1 is realistic ie real and pic #2 is fantastic ie not real. >>

...hey now brother...I'll venture to guess that pic #1 was taken by a non-professional photographer and pic #2 was taken by a professional photographer. I'll take pic #2 all day long because it looks nicer. That's why pic #1 was probably free and pic #2 costs an extra $10...worth every dime I may add. You simply cannot fix ugly, but you can bring out the true beauty of something....Just like TrueView does image

Erik
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...hey now brother...I'll venture to guess that pic #1 was taken by a non-professional photographer and pic #2 was taken by a professional photographer. I'll take pic #2 all day long because it looks nicer. That's why pic #1 was probably free and pic #2 costs an extra $10...worth every dime I may add. You simply cannot fix ugly, but you can bring out the true beauty of something....Just like TrueView does >>

Image #1 looks like a Mark Goodman photo. And his images are very accurate. He doesn't shoot images for the glamor view that you have to strain your neck trying to find the right angle on the coin to match the image. He is known as one of the best around.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...hey now brother...I'll venture to guess that pic #1 was taken by a non-professional photographer and pic #2 was taken by a professional photographer. I'll take pic #2 all day long because it looks nicer. That's why pic #1 was probably free and pic #2 costs an extra $10...worth every dime I may add. You simply cannot fix ugly, but you can bring out the true beauty of something....Just like TrueView does image

Erik >>

You're way off base. Mark Goodman literally "wrote the book" on numismatic photography, and his photos
    also generally cost $10. Furthermore, the TrueView looks like a "mirror shot" which Mark will usually provide
    at no extra charge. To suggest that pic #1 was taken by a non-professional is absurd. Let's see what you
    can do with a camera.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...hey now brother...I'll venture to guess that pic #1 was taken by a non-professional photographer and pic #2 was taken by a professional photographer. I'll take pic #2 all day long because it looks nicer. That's why pic #1 was probably free and pic #2 costs an extra $10...worth every dime I may add. You simply cannot fix ugly, but you can bring out the true beauty of something....Just like TrueView does image

Erik >>

You're way off base. Mark Goodman literally "wrote the book" on numismatic photography, and his photos
    also generally cost $10. Furthermore, the TrueView looks like a "mirror shot" which Mark will usually provide
    at no extra charge. To suggest that pic #1 was taken by a non-professional is absurd. Let's see what you
    can do with a camera. >>

...slow your roll buddy...ok, so I was off base and for that I apologize for speaking without proper knowledge. I did not intend to bash photo #1 like it may have seemed. I can beat a man dead with a camera better than I can take a photo image

Erik
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For coins with toning, and particularly reflective surfaces, there are usually a couple of shots that are accurate.
    One or 2 will usually be called "cartoonish", etc. It's BS. With the angle and the light, the coin often looks like that, for many coins. I have a few that people would say that about, but if you hold it in hand, and turn it into the light the right way, they do pop.
    I like the fact that Dave showed BOTH shots.

To denigrate either one is amateurish, imho, without seeing the coin in-hand.

Mark takes excellent shots, but usually has to take them in the holder. Phil takes excellent shots and has the ability to NOT have to take them through the plastic....this allows for certain angled/lighted shots that are dang near impossible with the plastic.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>For coins with toning, and particularly reflective surfaces, there are usually a couple of shots that are accurate.
    One or 2 will usually be called "cartoonish", etc. It's BS. With the angle and the light, the coin often looks like that, for many coins. I have a few that people would say that about, but if you hold it in hand, and turn it into the light the right way, they do pop.
    I like the fact that Dave showed BOTH shots.

To denigrate either one is amateurish, imho, without seeing the coin in-hand.

Mark takes excellent shots, but usually has to take them in the holder. Phil takes excellent shots and has the ability to NOT have to take them through the plastic....this allows for certain angled/lighted shots that are dang near impossible with the plastic. >>

...if speaking of my post, I truly did not mean to denigrate dude's photo...I just poorly stated (and "ventured a guess" that was wrong, bet lost) that I like the TrueView way better image

Also, I have seen TV's on coinfacts that are shot through the holder....I think this is a very smart move in that why have to crack an older holder to get a glamour shot?

HERE is a recent link from Phil....hopefully it's the new norm The Link from PCGS

Erik
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes in your new endeavor, Dave. Hopefully you can hang out here more now that you don't have those long commutes.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Dave!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Dave. Looking forward to your business getting up and running.
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Best wishes and Good luck!!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are brave to go with Wnuck in your business name. >>

True, but the pronunciationally challenged should easily be set at ease when you tell them the 'c' is silent.

Best wishes, Dave. See you under your own shingle at shows, I assume.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Best wishes in your new endeavor, Dave. Hopefully you can hang out here more now that you don't have those long commutes.image >>

+1
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nuk

nuk (pronunced: nuck) is a word that can be used to describe an event, person, or inanimate object. Random or intense situations often involving alcohol, marijuana, drunk girls, friends, hazing and general tom-foolery are nuk situations.

Referred to as "nukking off", doing something stupid or hilarious could make you a nuk.

Popularized by Phi Sigs around West Virginia University, those nuks have left havoc in the wake of their parties. Nukking off in Morgantown is a common occurrence, where beer and jersey guidos are plentiful. Being a nuk is neither good nor bad, because you probably made someone laugh somewhere by describing you as 'that nuk'.

Urban Dictionary
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nuk

nuk (pronunced: nuck) is a word that can be used to describe an event, person, or inanimate object. Random or intense situations often involving alcohol, marijuana, drunk girls, friends, hazing and general tom-foolery are nuk situations.

Referred to as "nukking off", doing something stupid or hilarious could make you a nuk.

Popularized by Phi Sigs around West Virginia University, those nuks have left havoc in the wake of their parties. Nukking off in Morgantown is a common occurrence, where beer and jersey guidos are plentiful. Being a nuk is neither good nor bad, because you probably made someone laugh somewhere by describing you as 'that nuk'.

Urban Dictionary >>

"All the Guidos in NJ are from Staten Island." - Chris Christie, 2010

And best wishes to Dave.. Much of his fan base is comprised of happy customers who have found out they are also friends. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    As everyone had mentioned, Dave is a class act and I'm sure he will experience amazing success with his new company. Good Luck Dave!
    Corbin Jung <> SEO & CPC Marketing Specialist <> Long Beach Expo <> Collectors Corner <> Certified Coin Exchange

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file