longtime contributor to the Red Book, and advisor to
Whitman Publishing. In order to represent the books he
sold, and to best assist his customers, he read every
single volume and studied them carefully, making him
one of the most well-read people in the field. Always
a gentleman, with interesting insights, unique perspective,
and friendly concern for others, John was a credit to
the hobby community. I always enjoyed our conversations
and looked forward to catching up with him in person at shows.

John Burns will be sorely missed.

Comments

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news...my condolences to his family...... RickO
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg was just talking with him yesterday. In total shock edit to add he was sweating bullets. I gave him a napkin when he was at my table and told him to go relax. Really sad news to hear
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sad to hear the news - talked with John earlier this week at FUN and he just didn't seem to be feeling well.

Thanks for letting us know. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh this is so sad. He will be missed.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible! He was a great guy.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very sad news. John was a real gentleman and a great person! My condolences to his family.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is indeed terrible news.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our condolences to his family... image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Oh, this is a shock. John is from my area and he was one of the first people I met when I got back into coins. Not long after that I ran into him at an ANA and wondered why he traveled all that way (I had no idea he did anything more than Western PA area shows - what did I know). I was happy to sit and chat at that ANA since he was the only person I knew there - then when authors I recognized kept stopping to say hello to John it dawned on me he was far from the local book guy. Although we generally crossed paths only a couple times a year, he always greeted me by name and we always had great conversations. He even drafted me to help move his books in one time at a show, a task that taught me coins weren't as heavy as I once thought. Last I got to talk to him was in October at the PAN show, where I picked up a couple of books from him like always.

Very sad to hear this news, very sad.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a power lifter and hauled his inventory all over the country. I will miss him.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John was a good friend and the news has hit me harder than I expected.
    I will be trying to work with my contacts to get ALL the loose ends taken care of.
    And there are many.
    I will talk with an attorney tomorrow to get some guidance, and work with some folks.
    His mother passed away less than a year ago to boot.
    This news has put a dampener on an otherwise good show.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Oh my. Just a few months ago I had such a pleasant and interesting conversation with John at the Chicago ANA show. A good guy.

He will be missed.

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard this news late in the day here at the show and was just shocked.

John was one of the nicest, most considerate, most intelligent, most articulate people I've ever met, and as noted previously a true credit to the hobby.

I'm really going to miss him.

RIP John.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very sad news. John will be missed. image
    Lance.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Always loved seeing him at shows....very sad

www.brunkauctions.com

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news indeed.

I used to see John at the Michigan State show. He was always very friendly and helpful.

The last time I saw him at the show was about two years ago. I recall that he did not appear well.

He will be missed.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice guy. And too young. He'll be missed.

Tom

• RIP buddy...

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG - such sad news. I never had the pleasure to meet the man, but this is still pretty sad to hear. Condolences to his family and friends.

EVPimage

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news indeed! image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gutted to hear this. He was a fantastic person, resource, and friend. RIP.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RIP buddy...

njcc >>

He always spoke highly of you, njcc.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this. More and more, when I go to coin shows, I come up empty in finding coins but I would always buy a book or two from John. So because of John, I never went home empty-handed. He always seemed to have a nice word for everyone. Godspeed to a good guy.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad. From what I understand, he had no famiy.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I am stunned. I had dinner with John last night in Orlando with a few mutual friends. He was feeling badly about the recent loss of his mother, and seemed out of sorts. This is terrible news. John was a great guy, with a great sense of humor. He will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family, and may he rest in peace.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    My condolences to family and friends.
  • I am sorry to hear of John's passing. I was always happy to stop and talk with him during the shows. He was very knowledgable, kind and always there to answer any of my questions. A very polite man. To Johns Family: My thoughts and Prayers are with you. May God bring peace and comfort to all of you during this time of need. John will be missed.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news indeed.image RIP

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! I can't believe this! He was my man for books. We had some great times partying together in the past. When I saw him in passing the other day he looked fine and we had our usual greatings. He looked a little tired but I was used to that. Books are heavy and he did alot of the work. I will really miss seeing him. My heart goes out to all that knew him and most especially his family. Seems the good always die young. image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really sad news. I'll miss him.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    he will be missed image I had the pleasure of setting up by him at the last PAN show , very knowledgeable with a great sense if humor
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news indeed.

John used to set up at the GSNA Show (New Jersey) and several of us used to help him pack the van for the trip home. The show won't be the same without him.

I'll miss his wit and often acerbic humor.

RIP Big John.
  • Very sorry to hear that.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Rest in Peace
    Collector
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    John was a great guy who was always willing to talk to you about just anything. I've bought numerous books from him over the years and was always treated fairly. He will be missed.

RIP John.

Dennis
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad news. Condolences to his friends and family. Requiescat in Pace.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • I'm shocked he was too young
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like in his last few days he was near friends before he passed on.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a book collector more than a coin collector, I am simply stunned.

I had a similar event happen with a friend 15 years ago.

Woof!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. I had stopped by his booth at the FUN Show on Friday to see if he had a certain auction catalog that I needed. John was sitting down, talking to a customer when I approached. I wish now that I had spent more time visiting, but John was quite busy.

Godspeed, John...
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    My family and I are so saddened to hear of this. He was a good friend of mine for at least 20 years.

John was definitely an interesting guy. We had an excellent rapport with each other, and would chat a lot about poker (he was the one to always ask me questions), and we often commiserated about the same kinds of BS that occurred in the numismatic hobby. I also used to bust him a bit about being cheap, especially when it came to the GSNA show. Since I only live eight miles away from the show, and my wife works in the high school in the same town we live in, we had access to lots of big, strong kids who for a letter of recommendation for helping and a couple of bucks plus a meal would have been more than happy to lug all of this stuff into his van and back. The last time I saw him was at the ANA this summer. I bought a Will Neil catalog from him, and he said "I should have taken you up on that offer at GSNA!"

He deeply cared for and adored my wife and two daughters, and was always interested in hearing about our autistic son's progress. He would often joke that if I wanted to purchase any books, have (my wife) Lisa buy them, because he would give her a better price! The late Steve Tannenbaum did the same with her when she was buying Hard Times Tokens as well.

He also made a comment regarding my then 14-year-old daughter, joking with her saying that it would not be advisable if any boy tried anything sly with you - because they might have their chances at having a family in jeopardy down the road! Steffi is quite the feisty one.

At another GSNA show, my older daughter Rosalind helped John lift a crate of books that was quite heavy with ease. You need to understand that Rosalind was only about 4'9" at the time (she is only 4'11"), now), and said "Damn girl, they should call you 'Pocket Hercules!'" I call her that often to this day, and she finds it quite amusing.

----------------------

I have included a wonderful picture of John at the ANA's World Series of Numismatics with another, well-known numismatist.

Greg Heim
  • John was a colleague and a friend and will be missed. For those involved in making the necessary arrangements, we would be happy to contribute our assistance: just let me know.

--David Fanning, Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. John was very friendly, gentle and knowledgable. He was always a pleasure to talk books with even if you weren't buying.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John was a colleague and a friend and will be missed. For those involved in making the necessary arrangements, we would be happy to contribute our assistance: just let me know. >>

From what I heard, he has no other family, so I'm not sure who'd let you know. If you want to get involved with arrangements, contact whatever business partners he had or perhaps the Orange County Coroner.
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I had many pleasant conversations with him over the years. He will be missed.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    John Kraljevich is organizing a memorial page for an upcoming issue of
    Coin World. Contact him to be involved.

John Burns passed away during a large and bustling coin show, so we
    might say he died doing what he loves, if there's any consolation in that
    fact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file