Home U.S. Coin Forum

Was George J. Eckfeldt related to Adam Eckfeldt?

Adam Eckfeldt (July 15, 1769 - February 6, 1852) - Second Chief Coiner (1814 - 1839)
he had no children with his first wife who died, 6 children with his second wife
Children
Susanna - Married William Ewing DuBois (first curator of Mint Cabinet
Jacob Reese Eckfeldt (March 1803 - August 9, 1872) - Chief Assay at Philadelphia Mint (1832-1872)
Children
Jacob Baush Eckfeldt (1846-1938) - worked at Mint from 1865 - 1929
Elias B. Eckfeldt
Magdalena Eckfeldt
Adam C. Eckfeldt (August, 1812 - 1890)
Margaretta.

George J. Eckfeldt (1805 - 1864) - Foreman of Coining Room (1830 - 1861)
Children
Theodore Eckfeldt - Night watchman at Mint (1859 - 1860)
John M. Eckfeldt - First coiner at San Francisco Mint

It had been stated that Theodore worked under Franklin Peale, and was fired for stealing. That Theodore was able to obtain a letter
from his grandfather Adam Eckfeldt and Franklin Peale stating he was of good character.

Obviously Breen and others were incorrect, as George was not Adam's son and Theodore was not his grandson.

As George J. Eckfeldt was roughly the same age as Jacob Reese Eckfeldt, I am wondering if Adam had a brother who was George's father
or if there was some other connection?

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin J Flynn

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you contacted these people?

linky
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

John Jacob Eckfeldt had by 1st wife

Adam Eckfeldt
    Jacob Reese Eckfeldt
    Jacob Bausch Eckfeldt
    Dr. Frederick Eckfeldt

By second wife had

Michael Eckfeldt (not with Mint)
    George J. Eckfeldt who married & had

John M. Eckfeldt
    Theodore Eckfeldt

All listed in "The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint"
    by Joel J. Orosz & Leonard D. Augsburger
    in family tree form.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John Jacob Eckfeldt had by 1st wife
    Adam Eckfeldt
    Jacob Reese Eckfeldt
    Jacob Bausch Eckfeldt
    Dr. Frederick Eckfeldt

By second wife had
    Michael Eckfeldt (not with Mint)
    George J. Eckfeldt who married & had
    John M. Eckfeldt
    Theodore Eckfeldt

All listed in "The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint" by Joel J. Orosz & Leonard D. Augsburger in family tree form. >>

So Adam's father, John Jacob Eckfeldt, named kids from his first wife Jacob Reese, Jacob Bausch, the same names that Adam used for his son (Jacob Reese) and grandson (Jacob Bausch)? I guess not to unusual in those times.

It is hard to believe that from his first wife, Adam was born in 1869, and from his second wife, George J. was born in 1805, 36 years later. It is not impossible, but does not make sense.

It makes more sense that Michael Eckfeldt was born to Jacob Jacob Eckfeldt through his second wife (Adam's step brother), and in 1805, Michael Eckfeldt had a son named George J. Eckfeldt.

Of course, I have not researched the Eckfeldt family tree extensively has Orasz and Augsburger have.
    I have read that George J. Eckfeldt's father was named Michael.

Interesting, thanks for your feedback.

Kevin

Kevin J Flynn
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

John Jacob Eckfeldt married 1st wife in 1764 and they had Adam Eckfeldt Sr in 1769.
    Adam Eckfeldt had a son Adam C. Eckfeldt (Jr.)who was not associated with the Mint
    and also had a son he named Jacob Reese Eckfeldt in 1803, further he had a daughter
    Susanna Eckfeldt in 1810, who didn't work at the Mint, but later married William E. DuBois.
    Jacob Reese Eckfeldt had two sons, Jacob Bausch Eckfeldt (1846) & Dr. Frederick Eckfeldt
    (1840) who both worked for the mint.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, John Jacob Eckfeldt married his 2nd wife Elizabeth Kunkle in
    1774, a year after Magdalena bit the dust and they had Michael Eckfeldt in 1779 who did
    not work for the Mint. Michael later had a son, George J. Eckfeldt in 1805. George, while
    on his days off, had two sons named John M. Eckfeldt (1831) and Theodore Eckfeldt (1837) .

This is starting to sound like an Abbot & Costello routine. image
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    appreciate your help, it makes sense now.
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    All listed in "The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint"
    by Joel J. Orosz & Leonard D. Augsburger
    in family tree form. >>

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that. The family tree chart was Joel's idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file