Home U.S. Coin Forum

Northwest Coin Club Show Report-Minnesota

This is the 3rd time I have done this show, the largest in Minnesota although when I am leaving 70 degree weather in March to head there I chuckle a bit to myself. Minnesota in March? image

The NWCC club does a wonderful job of running this show. I want to thank Lee, John and the rest of the individuals who put the show on and get the public out. Great job everyone! image

The temperatures turned out to be a bit colder, in the mid-teens at night to the mid-30's during the day, with a dusting of fresh snow off and on Friday.

The show venue is in a suburb at the Earle Brown Center in Brooklyn Park. It's a very nice venue with decent free parking and the show is free admission.

This was about half an hour after the Friday opening to the public at 2 PM, attendance was reported to be 600 on Friday and 1100 on Saturday and it sure seemed about right as the place was busy and packed most of the day both days. I can't report on Sunday attendance as I had an early flight back. Did contribute to the YN auction on Sunday which I understand is well attended and I hope to see or meet the club YN which may be attending Summer Seminar from the NWCC.

Got up early Thursday morning (4:15 AM) for the ride to the airport. As I wasn't driving I made good use of the time by completing on my iPhone an application for a state tax ID # as the club folks had alerted me to the likelihood of agents being present at the show. Worked out quite well as got that accomplished just as we were pulling off the freeway to SMF. And the tax folks were there but I had my number so everything went smoothly and the sales tax was a non-issue at the show as transactions went smoothly either retail or wholesale.

The flights went smoothly between Sacramento and Minneapolis/St. Paul although the 2nd leg from Denver was delayed a couple of hours due to of all things San Diego where the plane was late do to fog. No other weather issues for March other then San Diego, ha!

The flight delay did eliminate the chance to visit two shops ahead of the show Thursday I was planning on, but I was able to see these dealers during dealer set up Friday morning.

As stated the show was busy both days I was set up, and there really was no break until late in the day. Just my kind of show!

The collectors in the area are a very pleasant group of folks and I can't think of any one instance during any interaction or transaction where there was the hint of something negative. Collectors up there love their coins and collections. A great indoor activity during the cold months.

While the NWCC show conflicted this year with Baltimore, the cost is about 50% less for me to do. If I had elected to go to Baltimore it would have been $1600, as the flights and motel expense have risen. Don't get me wrong I love the Baltimore show and plan to get back there once a year, the Fall this year, but it is just too expensive to do all 3 shows flying across the country. I had the option of a doing a show at the same time in the South Bay Area but the table fees are such that it was only $200 more to go to MSP and the prior shows were very successful for me to it was an easy decision to make.

Had a great chat with Arnie, who came over from neighboring Wisconsin and is a fellow Barberite, and met Ahrensdad who was set up, and his brother who was walking the floor too. Both great guys and it was a blast talking coins and the market with them.

Sales were steady and solid overall with a lot of VF-AU collector grade coins selling. Sold some Barbers of all denominations, a few early walkers, and scattered type coins. The dollar volume wasn't as high for me as in past years but that is a function of my current inventory as I build it back up, not the attendees at the show. Made a few nice buys which will be posted over the week, except for those coins to be graded which will take LONGER, sigh!

My flight back was uneventful and right on time, both legs. While I normally try to stay the whole length of the show I had an early Sunday morning flight this time and to change it would have added $159 to the expense. I initially didn't have a table but filled in for a cancellation so was able to set up. This show like the PNNA show in Tukwila (Seattle) is in the 80-100 table regional show in size and has a waiting list of dealers to get in. Thankfully, I have a regular spot in Tukwila and hopefully sometime down the road I will at the NWCC show as well!

Overall a great show, met a lot of wonderful people and I give it a solid A.

Thanks again NWCC. image
The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc

Comments

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man it looks cold there!
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    LOL it was cold. But a nice pizza that lasted two days in my Motel room which had a refrigerator and micro-wave felt pretty cozy and good! image

And it sure didn't hinder attendance as no one else wanted to be outside either. But a lot of folks did want to "get out somewhere" on the weekend. image

• mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report Glen, at least Baltimore didn't have any snow...
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Glen,
    It was great meeting you! I'm looking forward to seeing you again in MN, hopefully in the fall. But, hey don't go scaring people away with pic's of crummy weather, we're trying to keep our winters a secret.imageimage

At least you were dress for it. One of my good friends that recently moved to Arizona from MN came back for the show and forgot to bring a jacket. He's only been gone for eight months...short memory. LOL.

Andrew

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn,

Good report. Do you plan to set up for the PNNA Show up near Seattle next month? I can almost promise it will be warmer than the MPS show...and very certain there will be no snow image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being from the area, it is ridiculous and embarrassing that you dealers were targeted by the tax man. I guess with no sales tax on clothes in MN, they have to resort to desperate measures. Does this happen anywhere else??
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, Glenn.
    Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post photos.
    Sounds like the collector market is alive and well up in the heartland.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a great show as well especially selling as I walked the bourse. This is one of my favorite regional shows. Friendly happy people with low costs and free parking and nothing to do on a winter day adds up to a great show.
  • Glen, very nice report. We were set up next to you (Central Minnesota Coin & Antiques) and enjoyed your company. It was especially nice to watch you interact with and educate many of the customers. You were a paitent and good teacher this past weekend. Hope to cross paths with you again!
  • Thank you for the report. It looks like a great show.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown

Bochiman, I am signed up for Seattle (aka Tukwila) and will be there. Chance of rain maybe? image

OntheLake it was a pleasure to meet you as well. Thanks for watching things a time or two for a bathroom break. You guys were great neighbors as was everyone there!

HCHCoin you have it right.

I definitely hope this show can be an ongoing stop for me as it is very enjoyable. And Ahrensdad you better believe it I will dress for it. Wish I had brought some gloves for driving though as its cold touching the steering wheel in the morning! image

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should see it after the snow storm we had today.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Man it looks cold there! >>

You just have to know how to fight that Minnesota cold.image

A new use for old socks.

• TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Nice report! I had no idea that you would be at the show. The name on your banner looked familiar, but I just couldn't place it. Perhaps next time.

I dropped by Saturday morning and the parking lot was packed. Usually there are quite a few parking spots open, but I had to search for one. When I left, someone was waiting for my spot as I pulled out. The floor was definitely quite busy. I did stop by to see board member foodude and Ahrensdad recognized me on the floor and we talked a little. onthelake- I had no idea that you were on the boards- good to see you here. Also a thanks to Ahrensdad and JohnHarper for their show reports. I did hear one dealer's wife talking about the tax situation. Unfortunately, I passed on a silver bar I wanted because I thought the premium was too high- it wasn't until the next day that I figured the quote included the 7.25% sales tax.

The weather Fri- Sun was actually pretty nice! Although Sunday morning it was about 6F and just felt really cold. Even with sunblock, I ended up with some sunburn/windburn after being outside most of the day. Yeah- driving gloves are pretty much a necessity for Minnesota winters. image

As far as purchases, I looked for my usual list of more obscure items. Saw a couple pieces that caught my attention, but couldn't pull the trigger. I did end up cherrying one Lincoln Cent RPM- a nice 1937-D RPM#2. So I left the show with one NEWP and was happy. image

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report - and I'm glad you were busy. The attendance sounds
    really good for a smaller regional show. Even down in SW Florida,
    I have heard about this show. Good news travels fast.

I especially liked the post on what to do with old Gym Socks !!
    Now, that's got to be as cold as a Witch's... up there in MN ...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn, I was curious about how good of a show this show was - glad you enjoyed it, in spite of how cold it was! Look forward to seeing you next week in Sac, maybe playing some poker togheter!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report..... looks really cold though, something I try to avoid.... image Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file