Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which coin clubs have collectible medals?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2019 1:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I've been following coin club medals for some time and have always thought it would be nice if, on average, they were more collectible than they seem to be. From what I've seen it seems like medals issued by Daniel Carr and Robert McNamara have the biggest following. Since Robert has left us, it is up to Daniel to make collectible medals which is why I enjoy seeing the recent LSCC and CSCC medals.

Who do you think makes the most collectible coin club medals, in the past and currently?

This post was inspired by this thread asking for advice on coin club medal makers. As the numismatic community issues more medals, it's nice to think about making them as collectible as possible IMO image

Here are some club medals I've run across recently that I think are interesting:

I have one of the CSCC medals and I'm very impressed by it. It looks much nicer than the photos. I had also bid on the WRNC medal and, although I did not win it, I was pleased to see it sell for a premium.

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the Rochester Numismatic Association medals (1912-2009) of past Presidents, milestone events, club sponsored shows, personal memorials of dignitary members. Enjoy! image

Currently there less than 10 complete sets assembled of the 100 past presidents of the R.N.A., with the most rare issue from the series having a mintage of only 24 pieces. A complete set of these in the standard bronze composition is currently valued at approximately $2500.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    We do a sliver and bronze very 5 years.
    Fresno Numismatic Society
    Link

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    The Gallery Mint Museum made a number of interesting coin club medals. Some of them are 20mm pewter tokens struck on site at coin shows, others produced in Eureka Springs and distributed directly to clubs. Tom Maringer made a nice set of medalets for the Ozarks' Coin Club on the centennial anniversary of the St. Gaudens double eagle with a version in titanium. The late Greg Franck-Weiby did a lot of great medals in support of clubs in the Pacific Northwest. Charles Arceneaux made some creative items in the 70s and 80s and beyond. Lots of great stuff out there!
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've compiled a list of all the coin club medals that I've done:
    Coin Club Medals by Daniel Carr

Not listed (yet) on that page is the 2004 Reno Coin Club medal. It used the original design I submitted in 2003 for the Nevada state quarter.
    I just recently became aware that this medal was made. Nobody ever contacted me or asked for permission regarding the use of my design for it.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Dan, those are all outstanding!
    Great works of art!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • I just did a search on eBay for "Coin Club" in the exonumia classification. There are 589 current listings. There must be thousands of coin club medals. I am not aware that anyone has compiled a comprehensive listing.

The best are produced by artists with good design and high relief. A typical club medal has a simple design in low relief. Many use designs copied from coins or other previous medals.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Here's an R5 medal:

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the posts everyone. Those are some nice medals image

@coindeuce: That's a nice link and long history for your coin club!

@CAF: That's a nice toner with a design I've always liked. Was the design first used on the Educational silver certificate?

@Steve27: Low mintage is certainly part of what makes these interesting.

> @JohnHarper said:
    > I just did a search on eBay for "Coin Club" in the exonumia classification. There are 589 current listings. There must be thousands of coin club medals. I am not aware that anyone has compiled a comprehensive listing.

There are quite a few medals out there and it would be nice to have a comprehensive listing. One of the ones I like is the CSNA Old SF Mint Centennial octagonal.

> @JohnHarper said:
    > The best are produced by artists with good design and high relief. A typical club medal has a simple design in low relief. Many use designs copied from coins or other previous medals.

Best is an interesting term. Some of the medals I think have good design and high relief are good to look at but seem to have low collector demand, along with the ones that use a simple design in relief. That's good if you want to buy some, but it would be nice if demand was higher. From what I've seen so far, the die sinker seems to be one of the best predictors of collector demand.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Boston Numismatic Society issued this medalet in 1873. It was stuck in several alloys, this one is in brass. These pieces are not overly rare, but there was a collector dealer who tried to corner the market years ago for reasons that I never understood. They show up now and then in exonumia auctions.

imageimage

NENA, the New England Numismatic Association, has issued a medal in conjunction with their annual convention, which they often call a "conference," every year. The obverse varies for year to year while the reverse is the logo of the organization.

The very first NENA medal was unusual in that it was a large cent with the reverse plained off which was replaced by a design that was etched into the piece with a stamp that had been dipped in acid. I don't have one of these pieces, but it is unusual. If there is interst I can post pictures of some NENA medals.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>dcarr: I've compiled a list of all the coin club medals that I've done:

Not listed (yet) on that page is the 2004 Reno Coin Club medal. It used the original design I submitted in 2003 for the Nevada state quarter.
    I just recently became aware that this medal was made. Nobody ever contacted me or asked for permission regarding the use of my design for it. >>

That's very interesting Daniel. Did you have to grant any license rights when you submitted the design?

<< <i>BillJones: The very first NENA medal was unusual in that it was a large cent with the reverse plained off which was replaced by a design that was etched into the piece with a stamp that had been dipped in acid. I don't have one of these pieces, but it is unusual. If there is interst I can post pictures of some NENA medals. >>

That's pretty neat Bill. If there are NENA medals you especially like, I'd love to see them!

<< <i>I've compiled a list of all the coin club medals that I've done:

I just recently became aware that this medal was made. Nobody ever contacted me or asked for permission regarding the use of my design for it. >>

Krayzee! Who engraved and struck it?
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Boeing Employees Coin Club puts out a medal featuring a Boeing product each year. Medals page and list of medal designs over the years
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    @airplanenut: I have noticed those and they do seem to have a following. I've been wondering if they would have more of a following if known die sinker was used.

@dcarr: It seems like the Reno Coin Club still mints medals on the Carson City "Coin Press #1." They should have asked permission before striking with you design, but it might be interesting if the 2004 medal was struck on the CC press. Perhaps they can make it up to you by helping strike some of your pieces there to get an "official" CC mint mark....
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite the impressive run of medals for the Rochester club, and a cool tradition of having presidential medals. I'm surprised there's a steady supply of people willing and able to serve when there's a 1-year term.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    The New York Numismatic Club has been issuing commemorative medals for their past presidents for at least 100 years, including this one for Dr. Daniel W. Valentine, which I understand is one of the most difficult to locate.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    The Boeing Employee Coin Club uses Golden State Mint to make the dies for their yearly bronze, pewter and silver medals. For design ideas, they come from the members and are voted on before a decision is made. Next the Artwork is created and voted on again by the members before the design is finalized. The whole process is here with pics of the medals, some really hard to come by....here is the site
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quite the impressive run of medals for the Rochester club, and a cool tradition of having presidential medals. I'm surprised there's a steady supply of people willing and able to serve when there's a 1-year term. >>

Somewhat OT, but the 1 year term as R.N.A. President is very widely favored. It prevents cronyism of administration and stagnation of critical issues.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Let us not forget the Florida United Numismatists Medals for the F.U.N. conventions. They started in 1972, with issues in both silver and bronze.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

<< <i>That's very interesting Daniel. Did you have to grant any license rights when you submitted the design? >>

No. It was an unsolicited submission to the Nevada Governor's office. So the copyright was retained by me.

<< <i>Krayzee! Who engraved and struck it? >>

The club said Silvertown provided the design, and minted the medals. Silvertowne said they don't know who originally provided them with the design, but somehow the Reno Coin Club wasn't charged anything for the die. It is all very fishy. I tend to believe the Club. Not wanting to negatively impact a coin club with any sort of litigation, I made a quick settlement with Silvertowne. I have the dies and the authorization from the club to strike two of each metal type for my own collection (using the same specifications as the original 2004 club medals). After that, the die with my design on it will be defaced.

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

<< <i>That's very interesting Daniel. Did you have to grant any license rights when you submitted the design? >>

No. It was an unsolicited submission to the Nevada Governor's office. So the copyright was retained by me.

<< <i>Krayzee! Who engraved and struck it? >>

The club said Silvertown provided the design, and minted the medals. Silvertowne said they don't know who originally provided them with the design, but somehow the Reno Coin Club wasn't charged anything for the die. It is all very fishy. I tend to believe the Club. Not wanting to negatively impact a coin club with any sort of litigation, I made a quick settlement with Silvertowne. I have the dies and the authorization from the club to strike two of each metal type for my own collection (using the same specifications as the original 2004 club medals). After that, the die with my design on it will be defaced. >>

Heh, good form!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The New York Numismatic Club has been issuing commemorative medals for their past presidents for at least 100 years, including this one for Dr. Daniel W. Valentine, which I understand is one of the most difficult to locate. >>

your 25+ years of searching and my six of so have produced just one example!

<< <i>

<< <i>The New York Numismatic Club has been issuing commemorative medals for their past presidents for at least 100 years, including this one for Dr. Daniel W. Valentine, which I understand is one of the most difficult to locate. >>

your 25+ years of searching and my six of so have produced just one example! >>

That's a long time to see only one specimen! Have either of you polled club members?
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MCA (Medal Collectors of America) has done one club medal and is, I believe, working on a second.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of highly desirable coin club medals. Indeed, it's surprising that most aren't
    in this category since it is coin collectors designing and executing them. The problem with
    collecting these is that most are pretty high priced and then many are in silver so even small
    collections can get a bit pricey.

My favorites are a series of Longacre's designs done by the CSNS. Everytime I think I've got
    'em all a new one crops up.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Just thought that I would add this year's Florida United Numismatists medals into the mix.

The bronze and silver medals are the same.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.

• The Medal Collectors of America have issued beautiful club medals the last two years designed by Alex Shagin:

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Bet you can't manage to buy a member numbered Bust Half Dollar Nut Club medal. More than likely the member would have to die before giving up their club medal with their membership number on the medal.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Metropolitan Coin Club of Atlanta does a 1 ounce commemorative medal every 10 years. Silvertown cut the dies the last time around.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Metropolitan Coin Club of Atlanta does a 1 ounce commemorative medal every 10 years. Silvertown cut the dies the last time around. >>

I've got that baby in my safe. I can't recall if it's the Peace Dollar design or the giant peach. I definitely have a giant peach, but that might be GNA. I'll see about imaging next time I open the safe.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists (PAN) seems to do medals frequently. I don't have any pics, though.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Red of Coin Club of Lancaster, PA. started in 1966 and still issues medals. In both silver and bronze.
    Collector
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Omaha Coin Club put out some a couple years ago in copper and silver. We even had it produced in the "Piedfort" design in silver. It was kind of cool. I should have kept one. image They sold out of the shop as "souvenirs" rather quickly
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I am the market maker for anyone who desires single medals or complete sets from rec.collecting.coins of Usenet, back when rcc was at its peak. Over the years, I've picked up somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of all the medals and sets struck and sold.

Great medals everyone!

The MCA medals are nice and artistic. What's the meaning behind the chariot and man breaking his chains?

One of my favorites is the CSNA SF Old Mint octagonal. I have one in bronze. Does anyone have one in silver?

Another interesting one is the HNS 1966 Gobrecht Dollar. Is that the only coin club medal where the dies were seized by the FBI?
  • sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    If anyone would pm me some suggestions for cheap medal production / dies, our metal detecting club is looking for someone to take our club design to make a die for the front, and then a generic back with space for engraving would be fine. I've checked around, and for a smaller order it looks like the price is still around $400 most places. We want them in just antique silver finish (not real silver), and use maybe 14-15 a year or so. Therefore, we'd probably just like to re-order 50 at a time once every 3-4 years, and sometimes that's a problem with those keeping dies. Certainly don't want to pay to have the die designed and then it be lost / destroyed!

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but again, suggestions appreciated.
  • FCC(Fremont Coin Club) has lotsss
    Taylor
    Just do it.
  • swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I think most of the clubs I've ever been involved with have done medals and most have surpluses that they would be more than happy to sell.

My favorite club medal that I own is probably the silver octagonal Farran Zerbe medal from the Pacific Coast Numismatic Society.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
    I recently ran across the following Western Reserve Numismatic Club 50th Anniversary counterstamp by Robert McNamara that goes with the WRNC piece I posted in the OP. This recently sold for $645 and is one of the more interesting coin club pieces I've run across.

I've also noticed that the Sarasota Coin Club 50th Anniversary medals have been selling fairly well on eBay. It seems using a known designer and mint master such as Dan Carr may make the medals more collectible as I postulated.

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the 2009 Westchester County Coin Club 75th Anniversary I have a few sets of these medals still available for collectors only .... the medals and money raised on the sale goes to the club so its a win win.... the set of Copper and Silver is $75 plus $5 shipping please pm me if you are interested.... only a few sets left Jon

also the club over the past 75 years has made about 6 others in the earlier years
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We do a sliver and bronze very 5 years.
    Fresno Numismatic Society
    Link >>

image >>

Spectacular!

Numismatist @WitterCoin

Wow, just ran across this coin club medal on the Bay. Very nice things happening in the area of coin club medals.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Allentown, Pa. coin club issued a series of Liberty bell medals covering 3-4 years in the mid - 1970's. They were issued in both bronze and silver. Any coin club medal could be considered collectable by smoeone. Collectableness is in the eye of the collector. Funny how some things are not considered collectable - yet people collect them. Kinda like fourree ancients. I will collect all of these uncollectable fourrees that I can get. (Fourrees are ancient counterfeits-made in ancient times)

Bob
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, just ran across this coin club medal on the Bay. Very nice things happening in the area of coin club medals.

image >>

Those came out better than we expected... they look amazing in hand. Look great in copper and silver too image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mexican Numismatic Society has issued many nice medals in its 62 year history--some in gold, silver, bronze/copper, and brass. Many were minted by the Mexican Mint, the oldest mint in North America.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, just ran across this coin club medal on the Bay. Very nice things happening in the area of coin club medals.

image >>

Those came out better than we expected... they look amazing in hand. Look great in copper and silver too image >>

Can't wait to get my Silver and Copper pieces, Thanx Mike

Steve
    Promote the Hobby

<< <i>Here are the Rochester Numismatic Association medals (1912-2009) of past Presidents, milestone events, club sponsored shows, personal memorials of dignitary members. Enjoy! image

Currently there less than 10 complete sets assembled of the 100 past presidents of the R.N.A., with the most rare issue from the series having a mintage of only 24 pieces. A complete set of these in the standard bronze composition is currently valued at approximately $2500. >>

I just put one and one together finally! Congrats on being on a medal! What is the mintage of your presidential medal?

So far, I'm aware of you and Dan Carr as forum members being on medals. Are any other forum members pictured on medals?
  • I have a medal with Coindeuce on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file