Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does the Secure "Sniffer" Actually do?

I have two theories, please let me know exactly what it does.

1. It scans your coins so that if it comes back a second time, any alterations to it can be detected.

2. It scans your coin and it recognizes alterations done to it the FIRST time around.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see you are new so i'll tell you a great secret:

learn to search the archives. they are worth their weight in metals much more scarce and valuable than gold and platinum ever dream of being image

seriously, there are tons of posts about the sniffer already discussed, enjoy them image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have two theories, please let me know exactly what it does.

1. It scans your coins so that if it comes back a second time, any alterations to it can be detected.

2. It scans your coin and it recognizes alterations done to it the FIRST time around.

Thanks >>

The sniffer detects certain compounds which are known to be used by coin doctors to alter the appearance of coins or substances applied to coins [such as putty] to repair defects.

Secure plus is a topological surface scan of a coin that results in a surface map. Physical alterations that result in moving metal such as tooling or lasering can be detected with this technique.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great video on the PCGS secure plus coin sniffer

Video
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks >>

Sorry...but we have lovely parting gifts for you.

The Sniffer does one thing only. It sniffs for banned substances. It is used with Secure Plus submissions. A different SP device takes a digital fingerprint.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sniffs
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the sniffer hopes to be a first time catcher.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    i see you are new so i'll tell you a great secret:

learn to search the archives. they are worth their weight in metals much more scarce and valuable than gold and platinum ever dream of being image

seriously, there are tons of posts about the sniffer already discussed, enjoy them image
    . >>

Don't know about anyone else, but I have a hell'uva time finding anything using the search function here . . . I'm know I'm just an ignorant ol'southern boy, but I'm sure that others may have suffered through this frustration also . . . Just saying.

HH

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with HH

All I get when I use the search function is an error

Maybe I am just slow
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I totally agree with HH

All I get when I use the search function is an error

Maybe I am just slow >>

Use of the search box near the top left of the home page for each forum lets you search thread titles only. General searches seem to work best if you access the forums/fora through Internet Explorer.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thanks >>

Sorry...but we have lovely parting gifts for you.

The Sniffer does one thing only. It sniffs for banned substances. It is used with Secure Plus submissions. A different SP device takes a digital fingerprint.
    Lance. >>

Do not be confused, what Lance says is IT. The sniffer is nothing more.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    It's usually best to use google, using the "site:" directive. This applies to most sites, not just here.

For example, go to google.com and enter this as your search term: site:forums.collectors.com pcgs sniffer

Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file