Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's December 2012 ONTARIO SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I arrived for set up at the Ontario Convention Center Thursday morning. It was another beautiful sunny day in Southern California!

The bourse room is very open and spacious, with lots of room between the aisles, and within each of our tables.

This is my son, Erik, who was helping me on Thursday – he loves talking to people and trying to help them find what they need. I really enjoy having him help me at my shows!

And speaking of Erik, I hope you don’t mind me giving a tiny plug to Erik’s first book that was just published – “The Snake and the Fox” – which is the first book of The SomnAgent Trilogy. Needless to say, I’m very proud of him!

It’s available on Amazon: The Snake and the Fox at Amazon

and Barnes & Noble: The Snake and the Fox at Barnes & Noble

The show opened at noon to the public and soon we were quite busy. I very pleasantly surprised that there was a good amount of people who came to the show on Thursday. As the show slowed down around 4pm, of course, it was time to open a bottle of wine. I had brought this wonderful Rombauer and it didn’t disappoint!

Then my good friend and booth helper, Rich, arrived and brought me two more wonderful bottles of wine – whahoo!! Rich has an exceptional taste in great wine!!

Rich is an avid coin collector whose father was also a huge collector and one of the original founders of the Long Beach Coin Club. Rich has an amazing collection of just about every kind of coins and paper money. He has a very discerning eye for quality coins, especially Indian cents, and is one of the nicest people I know, not to mention he’s a great friend.

After the show, a large group of us went to Rosa’s Italian restaurant for dinner. It’s a “regular” stop for many of the dealers who attend the Ontario show because it’s just around the corner and has excellent food!

This is Rich, Erik and me waiting at the bar for our table.

This is their wonderful lobster bisque

It went really well with their very tasty chicken pasta with lobster sauce! (It was so good, I ate it before I remembered to take a picture!)

This is our dinner group, which included Logan McKechnie (Vams & More) and his beautiful daughter Cindy.

Before the show opened on Friday, I took a few minutes to walk around the bourse and take some pictures.

This is Donna and Sid of Baubles & Booty who are some of the nicest and kindest dealers you’ll ever meet!

This is Dawn (of CK Shows who put on the Ontario show), Steve Price (of Penny Lane Coins in Huntington Beach), and Bruce Braga (of Bruce Braga Rare coins in Sloughhouse, Callifornia).

Logan’s daughter Cindy will now be ANACS’ west coast representative, so Mandy was showing her the ropes.

I realize many PCGS and NGC collectors may be a little surprised to see ANACS set up at a regional show, but you’d be very surprised at how much business ANACS does simply because they set up at smaller shows that PCGS and NGC don’t participate in, so ANACS gets a lot of business from those collectors who can’t make it to the national shows. I understand they will also be at the Tucson, San Jose, and the new Santa Clara shows. I was very happy to hear this if for no other reason than I love hanging out with Cindy!!!

This dealer had a really beautiful gem inventory

The show had a couple guest lecturers, including Logan (Vams & More) who was one of the speakers giving a program on – what else – VAMS!

Peter Anthony gave a talk about the Panda coins and also held a book signing

The show opened to the public at 10am and, with my table right near the front door, I was again pleased to see a steady stream of people coming through the doors.

During the show, a collector brought me this interesting bronze bar depicting a Flying Eagle on one side, and a serial number on the other. I had no idea what it was commemorating or made for but I ended up buying it because I really liked the Flying Eagle design. I welcome any information on what it is if anyone has any ideas!

Here are some more of my favorite people! This is Harold and his wife – they used to own a coin shop in Laguna Hills but he has since “retired” from running the store but still loves coins!

This is another avid collector friend, Chuck. He has an unusual type set with the lowest grade coin he could find that is very worn, but original and unmolested where you can still see the date!

Many people know I like copper errors so this guy gave me this very messed up elongated penny!

That afternoon, I opened these two most excellent bottles of wine which seemed to disappear very quickly (no, I didn’t drink them all by myself!)

A friend took a picture of me with my red matching iPhone cover (it matched my shirt and my booth!).

That night we just went over to Marie Calendars restaurant since it was right next to our hotel – and of course, they have the best pies ever- my favorite is their sour cream blueberry pie! I think I’m going to have to go back on my diet after the holidays….. ;-(

Mandy (of ANACS) just happened to have a polka dot iPhone cover like mine!

On Saturday we had lots of kids, especially boy scouts since they were holding the Coin Collecting Merit Badge class at the show. Several of them stopped by my table to look at my deep die cap and penny stack errors

A few “notables” even stopped by my table on Saturday – here are Ron Guth and Mike Farone!

Ad here’s BustHalfBrian who helped Steve Price (Penny Lane Coin) at his table

John/1916D10C and CoinCrazed74

My favorite Two Cent collector, Glenn and his wife Carol, stopped by to show me his beautiful completed certified Two Cent collection

This is a new group of items I just added to my “Penny Exonumia” collection. They are referred to as “doll house” items that were hand made in England and each item contains British pennies (and a couple other types of coins).

And last but not least, my show newps! (The raw 1930-S has gorgeous rainbow toning that I couldn’t quite capture in the photo.)

While the Houston show seemed to start out slowly and picked up each day, this show started out with a bang, but then for me business slowed down quite a bit on Saturday. While there seemed to be a good crowd on Saturday, many were families with kids, so I didn’t conduct as much business as I had the previous two days. For me, I would grade this show a C.

So that’s about it for my 2012 show reports! I am headed to the Las Vegas PCGS show at the Cosmopolitan this week, but I don’t plan on doing a report since I want to be able to do some business at the show, then play a lot of poker!

Happy Holidays to all of you!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these days I will get to this show..Nice report. Be sure to check that Mint Mark on the 34 D....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent report.
    (As always.)

Thanks for sharing!

It would be a tough gig to be the guy who has to lug rocks around (or, "minerals" according to BreakingBad) and set up at shows.
    Kind of like the guys who sell large gun safes during the fair season.

At least with coins you can fit inventory in luggage small enough for the overhead compartment.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    Becky
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy... Loved it and all the pics!

ABimage
  • Options
    Another fun report! Anybody talking about those gold $5s and $10s up there?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really look forward to your reports. It's the next best thing to actually attending the show. Or, come to think of it, your reports might actually be better than attending the show!

Thanks again.
    Mark

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Great report, Charmy, and happy to see my photo turned out decent. image

Oh, and those exonumismatic pieces are insanely cool! Think of the time/labor that went into assembling those little treasures... Wow! image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and photos once again. Thank you Charmy!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy.
    I hadn't seen Mike Farone around in years, and wondered what had become of him.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the show report Charmy.

Enjoyed every pic. image

Mike
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another super report.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Another excellent report. Thank you!!!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Went Friday, and had low expectactions for selling but I took 2 boxes of slabbed coins to sell. I ended up selling all of them by mid-afternoon. This is the first time I have been "sold out" since the heady days of the late 70's. My sales also included coins that I bought at the show and flipped for a profit. All of the coins were priced at what I felt to be "market" less a small dealer discount.

In all fairness to Charmy, she got 1st shot at the 1796 large cent with a curved clip. It just did not meet the strict "Penny Lady" standards!

The only thing I did not sell was a bunch of circulated Ikes and some modern commem dollars.

I did manage to buy a nice 1857 seated quarter "S WALTON" counterstamp. Probably not Sam Walton, huh? But a nice pickup for me.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report! Made me feel like I was there.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Good job on this show report. It's also good to see some new faces for a change.

Any show report that could make SoCal's B.F.E. look remotely interesting, which is no easy task, is a winner.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have time to walk around the entire floor but did manage to drop by and see you 2 days in a row.

Loved the new exonumismatic pieces .......they are totally KOOLimage

Spend all my money with one dealer both daysimage

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize for forgetting to mention the forum people I talk to but don't photograph! I enjoyed seeing and talking with Stefanie (yes, 2 days in a row!) and seeing a couple of her toned newps! And, of course, I chatted with Wei, as well as Mike/Illini, and a couple others!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that Gem collection table image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report, thanks!! image

I didn't find a whole lot to purchase at Ontario, but I was able to sell a couple of coins, so the trip out there wasn't a total bust.

I did like how they carpeted the Convention Center... much better than the hard concrete floor that is typical of the large shows. I'll still never have much love for the Ontario Convention Center though since that is where I had to take the California Bar Exam... glad I only had to do that once!!!!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the lobster bisque, fantastic.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file