Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a 1952 proof set with a Superbird quarter. My first one. What are these worth?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
The proof set is in a capital holder and all five coins have a similar appearance. All have attractive, light toning. The coins in the set (except the half) are gem (65 or better).

I put a small deposit on the set to get the dealer to hold it until the next time I am at the shop when I will pick it up and pay the balance.

The three silver coins have toning on both sides of the coins. The toning is light across the entire surface of the coins. However a second separate set of toning has developed along the rims of the silver coins. The rim toning is multi color and very vibrant. The colors include green, yellow, orange and red. Very, very attractive.

The quarter is a superbird with a very small "s" present on the eagle's chest. I did not look close enough at the quarter to see if it has engraved tail feathers. Will have to look for this next time I see the

So what is the value range for a gem 1952 superbird with eye appealing multi colored toning?

Comments

• Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    i typed in superbird in the search feature......there are alot of threads with alot of info.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find! You want to check to see if it a regular Superbird, or the rarer Superbird with hand engraved tail feathers. Check here for photos.

-Wes
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on joining the Superbird Club, Last I checked its almost better to leave the quarter without the designation,(thats hard for me to say) example a 1952 67 cameo price guide 1000 Yet a 67 cameo Superbird in the Price guide is only 800. A year ago they dropped the Superbird from 1500 to 800 in one swoop. I have 2 of the 67 cameo's and many others. If it is the Engraved Tail Feather Version than Yes I would submit it. To me these will always be a sleeper and I still pick them off every once in awhile and love collecting them. Supposely there were 6 to 8 different reverse dies that were found back in the early 2000's with the S being the most popular. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my post but thanks for the info !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Superbirds are a fun find, Kevin. Unfortunately, unless it's a CAM example, you're probably looking at $100-200. I've sold several raw for less than $100, and graded a few at 66 and sold for around $200. As the variety has become more well-known I believe the prices have come down quite a bit as Tommy has indicated.

I currently own a 66 and 67...the 67 is attractively toned and I believe could CAM with a dip.

• Options
    One of my 2 1952 Proof Sets in the Original Box is a Superbird, but neither have the re-engraved tail feathers...
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I recently picked up a raw one on ebay with an assist from Tommy1. It's going off to our hosts in a bit. Had all sorts of trouble trying to capture the S in a photo. Here's my attempt:

• Options
    Congrats on the find harveypb and Cris as someone questioned in your thread looking at your picture something doesn't look right, almost like the S is different, I know there were different reverse dies and I would like to see the coin after you send it in. Thats what peaks my interest in these......Enjoy image SanctionII did you ever see if yours has the ETF? Would love to see the colors on it.........

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up the 1952 proof set containing the 1952 Superbird yesterday. I took a close look and it is not the Engraved Tail Feather variety.

The toning on the coin, particularly the reverse is very nice. The coin has no hairlines and in my opinion is a gem (65 or higher).
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can anyone provide updated pop and price information on a 1952 "Superbird" w/re-engraved tail feathers?? thanks in advance.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently picked up a raw one on ebay with an assist from Tommy1. It's going off to our hosts in a bit. Had all sorts of trouble trying to capture the S in a photo. Here's my attempt: >>

looks gr8 from that image image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Start with the 1952 Superbird With ETF. There are 33 total graded with 1 Proof 68 and 6 Proof 67 and 15 Proof 66. Price Guide says 1150 for the Proof 67. No sale on the 68 So Far.

The 1953 ETF There are 21 total graded with a New Cameo being made by a Member and than you have 3 Proof 67 and 4 Proof 66. Price guide on the Proof 67 says 5 grand? But Its way OFF. These are 2 Coins that I found the second one of Each to be Graded and of course there are only 10 of us collecting the Series.

So its supply and demand........There are even a few who have Registry Sets With Varieties that sold the ones they found........I Love all Mine.Good Luck. Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my post, but love the info.
    Thanks guys !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    My PR 65 1953 with REF sold at Great Collections for a measly $400 back in January or so compared to the $2,750 guide, the price was pretty disappointing. Though I didn't set a reserve, and had tried to sell it on Ebay unsuccessfully for several months before the sale, so I don't fault GC at all.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My PR 65 1953 with REF sold at Great Collections for a measly $400 back in January or so compared to the $2,750 guide, the price was pretty disappointing. Though I didn't set a reserve, and had tried to sell it on Ebay unsuccessfully for several months before the sale, so I don't fault GC at all.
    >>

I'd be faulting someone or something after a whack like that, including myself!
  • Options
    The market just isn't too broad for a coin like this...it's a new variety of which quite a few have been found and of which 65 is an average grade. I think the price was about right.
  • Options
    a guide is just a guide and doesn't always reflect the real-time price, so I think you did OK, Don.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Don's coin was freakin awesome and I thought it should have brought more...But some things are all about timing and the right buyer looking at the right time.

My 53 ETF PR66 Example which I picked raw on Ebay for $58 Bucks sold for $3,549.00. 1 week later, Heritage sold another PR66 for $1,400. Heritage then resold that same coin a few months later and the second time it barely broke $800. I believe a forum member bought it, cracked it and PCGS gave it a PR67.

A 52 RETF Example PCGS PR 62 sold recently for $512 on ebay,

and a 52 RETF ANACS PR65 went for only $195. Those were both no reserve auctions which always run the risk of limiting the upside by number of views. So really, how can one determine the correct price point?

Several months ago when the pops were much lower, I ran a true auction for a 52 RETF PCGS PR66 example. I knew the risk. It was really one of my favorites, a former PCI graded PR66 CAM, unattributed in a Rick Tomaska Signature Holder. I tried to make the CAM with PCGS but it fell short. Again, like with Dons example I had it listed for quite awhile before running a true auction.

My true auction ended at $348.

My buyer then flipped it within the month for $650 buyitnow.

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a PCGS PR65 RETF with very nice reverse toning a couple of years ago when their were only 4 or 5 in the population reports. I think I sold it on eBay for about $2K. I bought it raw for $27. As soon as mine sold it seemed dozens came out of the woodwork and the price dropped quite a bit.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A PCGS PR 62 sold recently for $512 on ebay >>

For a quick second you had my hopes up, then I noticed it was for a Hand Engraved Tail Feathers FS-902.

My PCGS PR 62 almost got a speedy listing image
  • Options
    I guess the prudent thing to do is to purchase the coins and hold, there's really no need for me to flip or even encapsulate them.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For historical perspective, the Superbird quarter is not new (re-engraved TF is another topic), it was well documented in Val Webbs book "Cameo Proofs 1950-1964" published in 1984. So astute collectors have known about it for a mere 30 years....

I've been hording them for years and I do not think they are particularly rare. In fact, I sometimes had trouble finding "non Superbirds" to replace the ones cherried from sets. I recall several instances where I bought a single proof for a replacement and it was a Superbird as well!

Now, finding a nice cameo Superbird is a wonderful find!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file