Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many students in your class?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many students in your class? >>

It's Glenn and Mike and that's it.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, you know I don't collect "normal" coins...

By the way, this boating club is still in existence today!

www.brunkauctions.com

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any word on a possible cancellation because of the fires? I heard they evacuated the Air Force Academy yesterday...don't know if it's true.

My daughter's family just transferred from Tacoma/Fort Lewis to Fort Leonard Wood MO, it's supposed to hit 108 degrees real-temp there today.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>How many students in your class? >>

It's Glenn and Mike and that's it.

image >>

I believe there are five plus Glenn & I.

Hey Cary, you should teach a course yourself,
    I know you'd be in your element. Plus, it'd get
    you out of hot & humid Georgia. It's hot here but
    dry as a bone, hence the forest fire 50 miles away.

image >>

I'd love to, but I'm not in Barbers anymore (even though my knowledge is still there) and I'm so busy with work that getting away for several days to do this sort of thing is a luxury I just couldn't manage right now.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any word on a possible cancellation because of the fires? I heard they evacuated the Air Force Academy yesterday...don't know if it's true.

My daughter's family just transferred from Tacoma/Fort Lewis to Fort Leonard Wood MO, it's supposed to hit 108 degrees real-temp there today. >>

Cancellation would only come from the college facility. The ANA is allowing cancellations due to the fire. My class had a few cancellations.

Enjoy the class MFH, it will be great fun.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Let's start the Barber thread with a nickel. PCGS 58

• erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Only one I own. Got it for Christmas from my Grandmother in law.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Barber Mega Thread Part Two.
    Lovely idea!image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boo! image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and enjoy next week! I'll post a Barber coin in this spot later tonight. image

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not serious about Barbers but I do like some of the circulated ones. This is one of the few I have.

Oh wait...I have this proof I like too.
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    Wow that proof is sweet lance.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice 92-S, Lance. Looks like it could be in a 30 holder.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highest grade barber I own, some reason I like em circ. This is my type piece with a nice hint of wear to it.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, I wish I was in COS right now, but the fires are bad news indeed. My 93 year old aunt lives a good distance east of I-25 in town and thus far has not been in danger.
    Wife and I will likely move to Colorado in a year or two.

Hope attendance at the show is favorable in light of the fires.

Lots of nice coins to start the thread.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Barber Two .... YAA HOOOO image

A teaser photo. I will take my own photos when it arrives. I wasn't looking to buy one, but when I see a coin with this color, it's hard to say no.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• allegriallegri Posts: 405
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my fairly recent picks.

imageimage
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of attractive coins over here on the new thread.

Mike - Glad the fire is not a problem for you.

Holed - 05-O's are so hard to find, why can't those people put holes in 16-D's?

Newp from Lucanus, when we met on Friday.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Anyone pick up any 93-s halves lately? Added a few to the grading set

Ken
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>Anyone pick up any 93-s halves lately? Added a few to the grading set

Ken >>

I got the POP 1! image
    Which pop 1? F-15? From JJ? They had it listed as a pop 1 but I already have a F-15???

<< <i>Which pop 1? F-15? From JJ? They had it listed as a pop 1 but I already have a F-15??? >>

WELLLLLLL! I guess it's a POP 2 now. Evidently PCGS is slow to update their POP Reports. Liz pulled up the POP report before I bought it...but I"m Fine with a POP 2! image
    I really like the one you bought. Congrats

Ken
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Happy 4th of July folks ...

Thanks to Justin for helping me navigate to the new thread .. Couldn't manage to find it on the forums home page .. my unpolished lack of computer skills continues to ring true.

Helping Liz maintain 2+ pages of mid grade Halves and keeping her busy too .. Just completed a small upgrade to his common date beauty .. Couldn't refuse with the incredible color and toning .. Sent her my XF40 of the same date along with a duplicate 1899 XF45 for this coin a couple dollars...Working on a trade for her 1901-S XF45 Half for my XF40 .. the disparity may just be a tad too much IMO though .. Maybe we can get a little closer. I like my XF40 coin so if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed...

Brian Greer had a couple nice new coins probably from Baltimore and managed to upgraxde my 1893-P from 40 to 50 and also couldn't refuse a nice 1898-S Quarter in an NGC AU50 holder for the deuce hundred he was asking...

imageimage
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Two newps for the Beancounter Everyman dime set, both PCGS 58

Joe that set just keeps getting finer and finer.... What a beautiful and well constructed set. My instant gratification gets the best of me.. I end up upgrading and in the long run it costs me a fortune!
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    I was one of those students in the ANA class on the Coinage of Charles Barber.
    I wanted to give a big thanks to Mike and Glenn for all the great knowledge on all
    the Barber coins, commems, patterns, and medals that they were able to pass
    along to us. The coins we were able to view (and practice our grading skills on)
    were outstanding, even the coins in F thru XF were solid examples of the grade.
    Now that I have more knowledge in these series, I think it is now time for me to start
    working on collecting the Barber dimes, quarters, and halves.
    I had already been working on an AU - MS63 set of V Nickels and will continue to
    hunt down nice examples for that collection.

Hopefully, down the road soon, I will be posting some photos of some of my coins
    for the thread members to comment on. I will be following this thread more closely
    and also going back and reading the old Mega Barber Thread.

I also wanted to thank our Thursday special guest Joe (JMW) for the great coins
    that he brought to class and shared with us. Hopefully I will see him at some of
    the local shows as he lives near me.

Mark

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's start the Barber thread with a nickel. PCGS 58

image >>

Thanks for bringing this coin to my ANA class so I could see it in person. WOW

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • ColoradoCoinGuy,
    Thanks for posting the link on the old Barber Mega Thread to this one...was wondering where everyone went!

Lots of great new coins...BTW, does anyone collect Barber commemoratives? I haven't studied that product line...how many coins and types of Barber commemoratives are there?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    The only Barbers I own.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaggoB - Great looking coins.

Raw newp, last coin to complete my second raw set. Thanks Darrell K.

-------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Hello folks,

Hope everyone is doing well .. OK .. New tangent .. and should be good timing with Mike and a few other fortunate folks fresh off their return from Colorado.. Hope you all had a good time out there. Met some nice people, learned some things, enjoyed the weather .. Maybe got a round or two in or whatever recreational outdoor activities your preference may be....

I have a few questions for the senior Barberites and numismatists amongst the good people reading this forum.

As I close in on completing my Barber Half sets (4 coins needed for the EM set not counting the never ending process of upgrading to finer grades or to nicer coins) and 8 coins needed for the Complete set with major varieties. As far as the regular issues (1903-O, 1904-S, 1905 and 1912), it's just a matter of patience and a little luck regarding locating those remaining coins.

The other 4 missing coins from the Major variety set are varieties .. I realize how rare and far and few between these coins truly are .. they seem to be bordering on unique R 7+ in any grades:

* One being the 1892 micro-O - rare but easily understood
    * I have the 1892 TDR FS-801 in an AU58 holder
    * The 3rd, seems to have very little information listed about it - the 1892 RPM FS-301. I see no info. on pop reports in any grades and have yet to see one offered anywhere.
    * The 4th is the 1893 TDR FS-801 (in red and thus not required) .. Although not required, I would love to find one .. in any grade as above .. But cannot locate any info. Do any exist in PCGS holders? If so .. Does anyone have the pop reports? How often one comes to auction? Estimated expected cost?
    * The 5th is the 1909-S Inverted MM FS-501. I do know Walt K has an example of this variety.. Does anyone else know of another? Or any other info? Availability? Rarity/price?
    * Lastly the 1911 S/S - same questions as above (is this pop 2? An MS65 and MS66 and that's all for PCGS coins for this variety?

The Barber Quarter complete variety set has a ton of recognized varieties (7 varieties alone for the year 1892; 1899 DDR; 1902-O MPD; 1907-D DDO; 1907 S/S; 1908-D MPD; 1914-D DDO; 1916-D Lg D/ Sm D ... And probably many more being discovered as we speak)

Any comments, input, knowledge, opinions, suggestions are all welcome

Do you care? Do you not care?

Thanks again !!
    imageimage
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    SAM5969,

I have faced some of the same questions about the all variety set. The 1892 TDR seems to be the most available of these. The micro O is available, but pricey, mostly in AG and G; other grades get tough real fast.

I have never seen the 1892 RPM and wonder why it was put into the set, especially since no examples have been graded. If examples are out there you think someone would recognize them and get a few certified.

The 1893 TDR also seems to be virtually non-existent, but it may be more common, just difficult or impossible to recognize.

The 1909-S inverted mint mark is out there. Most examples have not been designated as to this variety. This one you should be able to find. I think L and C coins who advertise commonly in Coin World list raw examples for sale from time to time.

The 1911-S s/s is out there in a few holders. I have not looked too hard to find one. MFH has/had the MS 66 example formerly in the Friend collection. I remember Dale showing me that coin and I pointed out to him it was the s/s. He later got it certified as such. I have been tempted to buy MFH's coin, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I bought a nice MS 65 I thought was the s/s but it came back from PCGS as the ordinary variety. This is a coin that I think can be found.

Anyone else have experience with the 1892 RPM and the 1893 TDR?

At least they haven't put in the all varieties the seemingly mystical 1898-O micro O.

Dr. Pete
    Interesting, I wonder why the 07-S RPM is not listed. It's a pretty common variety. I have only handle the 09-S Inv and the 07-S RPM. Other than that, I have not seen the other varieties in the wild other than in Kevin Flynn's book. Then again, I haven't really handled a bunch of coins either. image
    And while I am on the subject, does anyone know if PCGS would designate Type I & II hubs on the 01-O or 01-S. I would love to also see this on the next BCCS Barber Half survey.
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Just listed my newly acquired 1890 proof set and listed on the registry. There is a barber coin in there, the liberty nickel. This is an amazing set! It marks 100 years before my two kids were born. The dollar and half are out of this world. Had to sacrifice my 1904 proof set to do it, and I will retire the 1904 set soon.
    Dr. Pete
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Ooooo! Barbers!image

I'll post pics of my collection later.
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    White spot is on the holder.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file