Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questionable ad

http://chaimgreenberg.com/selllist.html

This ad has been running for a while in Coin World with slight changes in copy. Do other numismatic publication permit such questionable ads?

The premise is absurd as stated in the ad. A family is living in poverty but has millions of dollars in a collection. They contacted Chaim Greenberg and he is charging only a small brokerage fee to sell the collection for the family. Such collections, if they have rare dates that will certify, should be certified and then sold to the usual top buyers.

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ad is very confusing. It is hard for me to tell what he is buying/selling and at what price.
  • Options
    Plus a 25% "cancellation fee". i.e. you return the coins and he deducts that and then fishes for others to pay for his coins.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've subscribed for a while. I never noticed any advertisements, but I always notice the final notice.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you seen the ads in all newspapers, magazines, on TV and radio?

what would be the difference?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Business as usual for coin ads. There is a reason not to subscribe.
  • Options
    This thread brings up some useful legal issues that may be relevant with Greenberg.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=295472&STARTPAGE=3

I emailed him a while back to get specific dates and coins he was selling and refused to do so saying that it hadn't worked out with him in the past, lol! Heritage a while back sent me some bulletins on Coinplex that he was way behind on some bills with them.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If his family was living in almost poverty, how did this fellow collector have this fortune in coins, and if he did, why wouldn't he have sold a few to feed his family?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Good question. Possibly he was a miser who actually lived alone and didn't tell anyone. He has a family who inherited it, could just be kids or similar relatives, they are needy. But rare coins and precious metals are the most fungible object on the planet; not like stocks or real estate which have to be sold through real brokers. It sounds like a really hokey story. Why doesn't he just tell the truth?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the truth is out there................................................................................................................................................................................................................ wayyyyyyy out there. this guy is obviously fishing for people who have little common sense, if dad is filling five gallon pails with gold 20's while the family was living in poverty, the family would have drawn straws to take the old man out. "we dont have the heart to make a profit" im gonna call bullsheeet on that one too.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

Re: Rare Coin Scam

Postby notorial dissent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 am
    My take on this, is that if "you all know" he is selling the coins at below market, and he is claiming he has to sell them to get liquidity for his client, then why doesn't he just take them to a reputable dealer and sell them for what he can get? If he were legit, he'd either sell to a dealer and be done with it, or sell at an auction, the problem is that the evaluations he is using wouldn't hold up, and he would get what the collection is really worth.

The whole thing reaks of scam as far as I am concerned, and I really have a hard time seeing why, as someone has pointed out, that complaints are not filed with his state AG, and preferably his local DA, and with the magazine for false and misleading advertising. I will further assume from what wasn't said, that there have obviously been a number of people stung on the 25% "cancellation fee" because the coins really aren't what they are advertised as. That is fraud. If someone is selling something and claiming it is in mint condition and charging mint condition prices for it, and the actual item has been worn smooth, that is fraud, any way you look at it. The racket here is in collecting the 25% fee for items that aren't worth what is claimed, and that is fraud as well. http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtopic.php?t=8544
  • Options
    Oh Brother
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file