Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Peace dollar rarity?

very rare 1921 Peace dollar with Morgan reverse

I've never seen one before...are these as rare and valuable as I think?

Comments

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely more rare since it is encased in two different slabs.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Wow...it even has a CC mintmark! image
  • Options
    Is it a half pcgs coin? Does it carry half the pcgs premium?
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    That is a good price for a UNC1921 that based off the obv has a good shot at being a VAM3
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a simple HTML mistake. I don't think the seller is trying to fool anyone.
    Anyone familiar with ACG grading? I've seen a few here n there, they seem to be fairly accurate.

EDIT:
    <<That is a good price for a UNC1921 that based off the obv has a good shot at being a VAM3>>

How can you tell if it's a VAM3 with no pic of the ray passing over the first L in dollar?
    Just trying to expand my knowledge base, is there something on the obverse that tipped you?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    well, looks like it sold....must've been that rare vam after all
  • Options
    I have handled thousands of peace dollars and always liked the 21 vam3 since it was a key date on a HR and it was also a hand worked die which is rare on the 20th CEN coins. That said the VAM3s always comes with atrocious central detail and heavy frosty luster. My made up theory about them is they were late strikes and the dies clashed and were strengthened by hand and the press pressure reduced to preserve the die.

While a 21 can have weak centers or frosty luster when you see them both to the extremes it is a good bet that it is a VAM but it isn't 100%. Also in full disclosure I bought the coin as it looks like a true unc and very clean to my been wrong before eyes. I needed one more coin to round out a submission at Baltimore and if it makes 63 or 64 I should make a few hundred more of it is the VAM and even more if is a PL CC Morgan in an OGH
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    did you buy it Crypto?
  • Options
    Here are links to the 2 coins on EBAY and vam world. Look at the common features

VAM world
    VAM-3
    VAM-3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file