Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dumb Coin Star machines they don’t take Morgan’s

Here is a story that has to be hard to bet. But Please Try and post your best story, I’ll add one more later after some others post.

A good friend of mine was at the store, and a young lady was dumping change into the Coin Star machine. He was at the counter when she was complaining that this machine will not take all of my change. She was trying to get the machine to accept Morgan and Peace silver dollars. Now she was complaining to the cashier and wants the cash for her coins. The cashier did not know what to do, so my friend says he will give her 40 bucks for those old coins, 20 Morgan 1921 P, D, & S and 20 Peace dollars 1922, 1923 P, D, & S.
I now have them and they are all the real silver dollar. I would bet that the rest of the coins were pretty much all silver that was dumpped into that machine also. Not only did she loose out on all the silver but she had to give them 8 or 10% of the coins for cash payment.
Who would keep real silver dollars in with the regular clad coins for spending now days? I would also think that this can of change did not belong to her originally, but who knows. Now my friend doesn't collect coins but he does know I do and all of the old coins he somehow gets, he brings them to me to sell them for him.

After hearing this story from him I just had to buy them so I can have some fun with the story.
Having Fun with Coins
Bob
Bob

Comments

• Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Maybe those Morgan and Peace dollars never belonged to her at all
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is what I would believe, along with the can of probably mostly silver coins, I would bet on that.
    But I guess there are young people out there that just don't have the time to learn about the old coins with silver in them.
    But really where else could she come up with 40 silver dollars. She sure did not buy them at todays prices.
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    coinstar kicks back all silver coins, so it doesn't sound like there was any other silver amongst her "change"
  • Options
    I did not know that. I have never use one before, Guess I would of lost my bet.
    Thanks for the info,
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    Pics are always nice : )
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me want to camp out at the coinstar machine in the local market... just sit there all day waiting for 'treasure'. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a score!!!!!image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coinstar kicks back all silver coins, so it doesn't sound like there was any other silver amongst her "change" >>

How true. Several years ago, I used Coin Star to cash in my accumulations of change over the years. Low and behold, in the reject hopper, were 1 silver quarter & 2 silver dimes. No sure if they were from my "loot" though.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I was not there when the lady was cashing in her change, But I did buy them from my friend at the going price a B&M would pay. So at least I got them at wholesale price. Still not a bad deal for me. I like VAMs so I did look them over but I could not ID any of them as VAMs. They would only grade EF and one Peace dollar was in fine. I don't have a Photo Bucket account so I can not do Pictures.
    Thanks for posting and sharing
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had been the friend that was there, and I saw someone cashing in a bunch of silver dollars - red flags would start fluttering and I would be calling the police - obviously she didn't just "have" them. There exists the possibility that she inherited them somehow, but more than likely she could have pilfered them from someone.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the coinstar machine for 10% can basically search for silver coins for use,IE: If someone had a large amount of mixed change and didn't feel like taking the time to search for silver coins they could just collect any silver coins at the end?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Just because someone does not know enough about coins to realize they are silver does not make them a criminal.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could have been grandpas old coins that were given to the girl..."hey, you know Hailey could use a few bucks, maybe we'll let her have this old can of coins," clearly the family didn't know a whole lot about the coins.

Not all is on the down-low, I would imagine most of these types of situations have to do with inheritance rather than someone swiping coins...people who swipe coins usually know what they are stealing (course not all!)
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like it could have been grandpas old coins that were given to the girl..."hey, you know Hailey could use a few bucks, maybe we'll let her have this old can of coins," clearly the family didn't know a whole lot about the coins.

Not all is on the down-low, I would imagine most of these types of situations have to do with inheritance rather than someone swiping coins...people who swipe coins usually know what they are stealing (course not all!) >>

Good Point! That’s why I like this type of exchanging info. This whole situation can be on the up and up.
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    Have a friend who worked for Coinstar a few years back. He would find Morgan's and Peace Dollars in the overflow bin when the coins wouldn't reject. Even found a silver eagle once. Incredible.
  • Options

<< <i>Have a friend who worked for Coinstar a few years back. He would find Morgan's and Peace Dollars in the overflow bin when the coins wouldn't reject. Even found a silver eagle once. Incredible. >>

So the coin sorter did kind of work and this story just seems to be a honest person just having the dumb luck and no knowledge of what Silver is worth or what it looks like in coin fashion. Since all she has ever spent is the clad coins, which have no metal value.
    OK I can beleive that!
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    Calling the police! You must be kidding. image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the cashier could make a killing on some days if she knew "Silver" dollars were.
  • Options
    I forgot to make sure that I point out that my friend DOESN'T collect coins although he is aware that silver does exist in the old coins, he is also aware that copies can and have been bought around this area and you have no idea who is trying to pass them around no matter what their sad story is.
    I have bought an 1888-CC Morgan from a co worker here for 3 bucks; he did buy ten different dates at $3 each, and was hoping that some of them might on an outside chance be real. But really didn't think that would be. I look at all ten and knew right away they were copies and not very good. But to someone that doesn't collect coins or have anything to do with them except spend them, how are they supposed to know.
    I wasn’t at the coin star incident but I did buy them at the going rate of a B&M shop and I felt like I got a good deal just because I got them at wholesale price, I am a consumer and don’t get items at wholesale prices very often even at a coin show. Would it have been any different if he went into a B&M shop and sold them for whatever the dealer is paying that day?
    We as coin collectors know the difference and would pay a fair price, but we don't like it when the coin we want has an outrages price on it and we will pass on it. What if this story had taken a turn for the worst and all 40 dollars did turn out to be copies and no silver at all. He probably would now just have 40 worthless trinkets and what about the young women, she would be 40 dollars richer, and she is since she still sold them for 40 bucks, and without paying coin star their fee. He took a gamble and won, that’s all.
    Hope this story seems to cover some of the items I left out at the beginning.
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Calling the police! You must be kidding. image >>

What if it was your collection that got swiped? Would you want someone seeing what is going on at the Coinstar to call the PD, or would you rather the perp get away with the crime?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    If it were my ignorant grand kids (I don' have any) that were dropping them in a Coinstar, I would be inclined for a more appreciative person acquire them. As for stolen ones, I am not certain as to how one could be sure. If I knew it, I would help the rightful owner how I could.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Photobucket accounts are free.

Good for you.
  • Options
    OK Guys maybe my friend wasn't that nice but he would stop to help people along the freeway to lend a hand. Maybe you feel like he ripped her off, Is that what you want me to SAY!
    But why do I go to garage sales? It is not to buy that nice rare find and give them $500 for something they are selling for 50 cents, No it is just like antique road show I buy cheap junk there and take a chance, it is the only place I can do that is at a garage sale. I know that you must have seen that show, do you watch the TV show and say they rip that person off because they bought a rare 1st edition book at a garage sale for 10 cents! and it is worth $10K.
    I could compare it to Cherrypicken but I think that in coin collecting knowledge is king. I know when I find a VAM in the junk silver dollar box, I just buy it, I don't tell the dealer that this is a VAM and he sold sell it a twice the money.
    Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file