Home U.S. Coin Forum

Belmont-Sheffield Bank, Chicago

In my neighborhood here in Chicago, there's a big old bank building, the former Belmont-Sheffield Trust and Savings Bank. It's about four blocks south of Wrigley Field, and takes up most of a full city block.

There's a city landmark designation on the building explaining when it was built.

The Wikipedia page for the building adds some more information -- including the fact that the bank folded in June 1932, during the Great Depression. Wikipedia link.

I never had any reason to visit this building until the holidays, when I stopped by the Walgreens shown in the first photo. As you walk into the center of the store, you really see what the inside of the old bank building looked like.

Right in the center of the photo (above) you can make out a circle in the plaster decoration. Hmm... what could that be? Here's a photo of the ceiling from another angle, showing two of these circles:

And now the money shot -- a close up:

There are four of these huge plaster Standing Liberty designs, all dateless, one on each wall. They're probably about two feet in diameter.
"Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file