Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up this Beast of a Jefferson and a 1912 Proof Lib Nick at FUN for a very happy client.

Since these weren't going on the site, I figured they were nice enough to share.

Thanks to TomB for the Liberty Nickel. image

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my goodnessimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Neither are my cup-o-tea
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do not appreciate tarnish, that Liberty nickel has an incredible strike and is well preserved. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    That Jefferson is crazy. It reminds me of some 45-P's that were sold by Bowers a few years ago, but I just looked and it is different.

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS67 Stacks Bowers August 2010 Boston Rarities Sale

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS67 Stacks Bowers March 2010 Baltimore Auction

Needless to say, the prices on those two coins were ridiculous. Brandon, yours seems to top them both with respect to toning. The surfaces look a little rougher, did it make MS67? I don't even want to know how much you paid for that puppy. BTW, if they aren't going to your website, where are they going?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Jefferson is crazy. It reminds me of some 45-P's that were sold by Bowers a few years ago, but I just looked and it is different.

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS67 Stacks Bowers August 2010 Boston Rarities Sale

Needless to say, the prices on those two coins were ridiculous. Brandon, yours seems to top them both with respect to toning. The surfaces look a little rougher, did it make MS67? I don't even want to know how much you paid for that puppy. BTW, if they aren't going to your website, where are they going? >>

Title says he picked them up for a client.

I love both of them although I find the spots on Liberty's head a bit distracting.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>That Jefferson is crazy. It reminds me of some 45-P's that were sold by Bowers a few years ago, but I just looked and it is different.

Needless to say, the prices on those two coins were ridiculous. Brandon, yours seems to top them both with respect to toning. The surfaces look a little rougher, did it make MS67? I don't even want to know how much you paid for that puppy. BTW, if they aren't going to your website, where are they going? >>

Actually, it's only a 66 but don't let the massive picture size fool you. Those distractions are very small and nearly invisible in-hand. I didn't pay very much for it, which made my client happy. The dealer I got it from had another 66 with color similar to the example I bought but didn't have that royal blue on the obverse. He also had a 67 but it was pricey and had better luster but not as good color.

If you can believe it, the 1912 lib nick is only a PCGS 66.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love both of them although I find the spots on Liberty's head a bit distracting. >>

I agree, but I reminded myself to keep the perspective that the huge picture provided is likely exaggerating the significance of the spots.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>

Actually, it's only a 66 but don't let the massive picture size fool you. Those distractions are very small and nearly invisible in-hand. I didn't pay very much for it, which made my client happy. The dealer I got it from had another 66 with color similar to the example I bought but didn't have that royal blue on the obverse. He also had a 67 but it was pricey and had better luster but not as good color.

If you can believe it, the 1912 lib nick is only a PCGS 66. >>

I shrunk it down to get a better perspective. My first thought was that it was an MS66 but I didn't know whether or not the color would have bumped it to an MS67.

Lucky client you have there!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked on heritage at the FUN Acution and couldnt find that Jefferson ... nothing even close.

I was curious what it sold for ... I am thinking around $1500.00 ??

If anyone can find the link, pls post it and I would like to see the original auction page.
  • Options

<< <i>I just looked on heritage at the FUN Acution and couldnt find that Jefferson ... nothing even close.

I was curious what it sold for ... I am thinking around $1500.00 ??

If anyone can find the link, pls post it and I would like to see the original auction page. >>

Now that I know it is graded as an MS66, I am going to guess it sold in the neighborhood of $300-$400. And I found one that is close.

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS66 Sunday Internet Coin Auction #68051 $345

PS. It sounds like Brandon bought it off the bourse floor, not in auction.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh ... not the same coin ...

At first I thought he bought the OP Jefferson for $345

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Two very cool and eye appealing coins poorguy. That pale color really seems to accentuate the contrast on that 1912, very sharp!
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Super nice! The FUN was fun! I'll post a few soon.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're both nice coins. While I'm not a huge Jefferson fan, I'd buy one like that if the price was right.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon - I think the 12 P is in a 6 holder because of the copper spots. They jump out at you on the image. The only PF 6 Liberty Nickel I have is a 1905 in a PC holder. Its only flaw is a carbon speck the size of a pinhead at the top of Miss Liberty's hair.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Um, not to hijack this thread, but the coin (not coins) you posted there has alot of baggage I think is very suspect... anybody notice how the March auction came extremely close to the other on the exact same coin? So, my questions are...

1. Was the big price received in the March auction an actual bidder or the auction house?
    2. Did the March auction winner go insane and then have buyers remorse, thus the sale in August?

This coin actually made PCGS raise the price in their guide for MS67's from $550 to $1000... all because of this coin, which sold twice. I showed them both of these auctions and then showed them a number of other MS67 coins that weren't selling at the $500 range and they reduced the price guide back to the $550 range. This coin is an anomaly that should not, IMHO, have made the whole grade level almost double in the guide.

3. So, how did this coin make PCGS almost double the price guide (when both auctions were for the same coin) when there are a number of other MS67 coins that won't sell in the $500 range.

I think the one Brandon has blows that one away. Too bad his is "only" a 66. image

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS67 Stacks Bowers August 2010 Boston Rarities Sale $1668

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS67 Stacks Bowers March 2010 Baltimore Auction $3738

>>

Um, not to hijack this thread, but the coin (not coins) you posted there has alot of baggage I think is very suspect... anybody notice how the March auction came extremely close to the other on the exact same coin? So, my questions are...

1. Was the big price received in the March auction an actual bidder or the auction house?
    2. Did the March auction winner go insane and then have buyers remorse, thus the sale in August?

This coin actually made PCGS raise the price in their guide for MS67's from $550 to $1000... all because of this coin, which sold twice. I showed them both of these auctions and then showed them a number of other MS67 coins that weren't selling at the $500 range and they reduced the price guide back to the $550 range. This coin is an anomaly that should not, IMHO, have made the whole grade level almost double in the guide.

3. So, how did this coin make PCGS almost double the price guide (when both auctions were for the same coin) when there are a number of other MS67 coins that won't sell in the $500 range.

I think the one Brandon has blows that one away. Too bad his is "only" a 66. image

Steve >>

Steve,

Those two coins auctioned by Bowers were not the same coin. I have posted the photos below the links listed above. If you look carefully, you will notice the difference. I will say that the toning pattern is so similar that it makes me immediately think that both coins came from an identical source. Furthermore, Brandon's coins shows such similarities that I am inclined to thin that coin also came from the same source. It is almost like we have Appalachian Part 2 going on here.

Despite the fact that they are two different coins, your point is well stated. I have long thought that prices realized by dramatically toned coins should be thrown out when they artificially (no pun intended) inflate the price guides as a result of the premium price they drove at auction. This is a clear example of two toned coins basically destroying the price guide. If you look at auction archives for PCGS MS67 1945-P Jefferson Nickels, the blast white coins never eclipsed the $600 price barrier. The toned counterparts on the other hand routinely break the $1,000 barrier and some exceed it greatly. BTW, in my search, I have now located a fourth 1945-P MS67 with an almost identical toning pattern that sold by Heritage in 2008 for $1,150.

1945-P Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS67 Heritage Sunday Internet Coin Auction #68051

In addition, all four of these coins are similar to the 1945-S MS68 with dramatic green toning.

1945-S Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS68 Heritage 2008 June West Palm Beach Summer FUN Sale $8,625

Does anyone have any thoughts about the apparent similarity of the toning patterns on these coins?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file