Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Sarasota Herald Tribune: "Stolen coins worth $400,000 recovered with dealer's help"
Created On Tuesday December 27, 2011 3:46 PM
Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]

Goldbully
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 27, 2011 3:46 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Oh sure, nothing like having a suitcase filled with $400k of gold coins in the house.

Sarasota Herald Tribune

Stolen coins worth $400,000 recovered with dealer's help
STAFF REPORT

Published: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 4:29 p.m.

SARASOTA - A coin dealer helped police recover a suitcase holding $400,000 in stolen gold coins.

Justin Gerken, 21, and Jessica Striewski, 19, of Sarasota, are charged with stealing the coins from one of Striewski's neighbors in the Glen Oaks subdivision off Beneva Road.

Striewski's parents told police that she used to help the man with his computer.

The man's home was burglarized in the afternoon of Dec. 14. Stolen were the coins, a Waterford crystal collection worth $25,000 and a $5,000 collection of Ray Ban sunglasses.

That same day, Striewski pawned a gold coin from the collection, police say.

Detectives sent emails to all of the coin dealers and pawnshops in Sarasota to alert them about the large and valuable coin collection that had been stolen.

On Dec. 17, the staff at American Coin and Collectibles on Bee Road alerted detectives that Gerken and another man were at the store negotiating to sell the coins.

Gerken was at the store with Benjamin Hilliard, 22, also of Sarasota, who took a laptop to the shop and was looking up the value of the coins on the Internet as they negotiated, reports say.

Both Hilliard and Gerken fled from the shop as deputies arrived, reports say. Hilliard was arrested after jumping a fence into the backyard of a nearby house, the reports say.

Gerken got away, according to police, but was arrested along with Striewski on Dec. 22.

Gerken is charged with grand theft and dealing in stolen property; Striewski is charged with grand theft, dealing in stolen property and defrauding a pawn dealer; Hilliard is charged with dealing in stolen property and resisting arrest.

Link

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

From Bradenton Herald.....December 27, 2011

Property from $400,000 Sarasota burglary recovered, suspects Arrested

HERALD STAFF REPORT
SARASOTA -- Three suspects have been arrested in the burglary of a residence, where property valued at $400,000 was stolen, the Sarasota Police Department reported today.

The stolen property was also recovered. The victim reported the burglary of a residence in the 3700 block of Breezemont Drive in Sarasota on Dec. 14th, a police press release said. The burglary occurred during a one hour and 15 minute time frame, between 2:15 and 3:30 p.m. Items stolen included coins (gold, silver, and collectable) valued at $400,000. Detective Jack Carter and Detective Maria Llovio were assigned to investigate the burglary. Detective Llovio issued a notification to retailers about the stolen gold and collectable coins. American Coins and Collectables notified Detective Llovio that on December 15th two customers had attempted to sell a suitcase full of very valuable coins. The suspects were going to verify the value of the coins at another shop and then return to make the sale. Detective Llovio provided information to Sarasota County Deputies (the store is in the unincorporated portion of Sarasota County). On Dec. 17, two suspects returned to American Coin and Collectables with the same suitcase of valuable coins. Both suspects negotiated the sale of the coins. When the suspects became aware that law enforcement officers were responding the suspects fled out the rear door leaving the suitcase and the coins in the store. Sarasota County Deputies after a brief foot pursuit arrested Justin Gerken and Benjamin Hilliard. The victim of the burglary responded to the location and identified the recovered coins as items taken during the burglary. Justin Gerken, 21, and Benjamin Hilliard, 22, were arrested for dealing in stolen property. Hilliard was also charged with violation of probation reference a previous arrest for burglary, and resisting arrest without violence. The investigation continued and Detective Carter developed probable cause to arrest Justin Gerken and Jessica Striewski, 19. Both were arrested on Dec. 22. Gerken was charged with grand theft in excess of $100,000. Striewski was charged with grand theft $100,000 or more, dealing in stolen property, and fraud – false owner information on a pawn slip. The arrests were the result of the collaborative effort of officers from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office and the Sarasota Police Department.
Anyone with information concerning this crime is asked to contact Detective Carter at 941-954-7088.

Bradenton Herald lnik

-------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Edited: Tuesday December 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM by Goldbully

Bottom

kiyote
Expert Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 3:51 PM

I thought maybe it was an issue of a young person messed up in meth but from the look of the mugshots the girlfriend had a fried Twinkie addiction.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Bottom

mingot
Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 3:51 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

lol florida.

Sell me a coin or three!

Bottom

kaz
Expert Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 3:52 PM

User is online View thread in raw text format

3 more criminal geniuses who will (hopefully) have a long time (at state expense) to ponder their acts.

Bottom

Batman23
Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 3:57 PM

I am glad they were able to recover the coins from the thieves themselves instead of fitting another victim in the middle.

I hope they get to spend 10+ years in jail... but probably not

Bottom

kiyote
Expert Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 4:05 PM

The funny thing is the amount of these people that have Facebook pages. It's interesting to see their lives before it all went wrong.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Bottom

epcjimi1
Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 5:38 PM

Steal coins Dec. 14 in Sarasota.

Try to fence stolen coins Dec. 17 in Sarasota.

Bottom

Swampboy
Master Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 5:52 PM

<< lol florida. >>

What's your point?

Bottom

Walkerguy21D
Expert Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 6:46 PM

User is online View users profile View thread in raw text format

Was wondering the same thing - I guess the thieves in his state are all geniuses....

Successful BST transactions with 117 forum members. Most recent: erwindoc, MichaelDixon, Nolawyer, slothman2000, BAJJERFAN, Whit, Valenti151, GotTheBug, cucamonga coin, okiedude, jhdfla, DoubleDime, LRCTom, olmanjon, bigjpst, amwldcoin, ajaan, Raybo.

Bottom

pennyannie
Expert Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 6:54 PM

Glad they got the coins back. The twinkie queen will not get any prison time and the 2 guys will do about 6 months and then they can start over.

Mark
NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"

Bottom

19Lyds
Master IKE Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 7:08 PM

<< 3 more criminal geniuses who will (hopefully) have a long time (at state expense) to ponder their acts. >>

Hardly.

They'll ponder what went wrong and try to figure out how to do it again without getting caught!

Oh yeah, they'll dump the girlfriend too!

"Ladies….If a Man says he will fix it, he will! There’s no need to remind him every 6 months about it. " My eBay Listings.

Bottom

roadrunner
Barbarous Relic No More

Tuesday December 27, 2011 7:13 PM

<< Steal coins Dec. 14 in Sarasota.

Try to fence stolen coins Dec. 17 in Sarasota.
>>

3 days cooling off period.....standard in any twinkie-induced crime spree.

roadrunner

LSCC since 1974-MajorMarketMovements -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Edited: Tuesday December 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM by roadrunner

Bottom

MFH
Master Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 7:17 PM

Hearing about the possibility of a reduced sentence makes me ill.

Glad they were all arrested and the collector got his coins back.

Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Bottom

bretts911
Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 7:34 PM

<<

<< lol florida. >>

What's your point?
>>

seems like everything bad happens in FL

Bottom

ModernCoin

Tuesday December 27, 2011 7:58 PM

<<
seems like everything bad happens in FL
>>

Well the FUN show is in two weeks ... See you guys there!

BST deals(formerly known as 'Solo'): EagleEye, USmoneyLover, TWGQ, Speedemon, Weather11am, NumisMe, Bikingnut, Tyde, Wondercoin, Goldman86, Hayden

Bottom

DoubleEagle59
Master Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 8:35 PM

User is online View users profile View thread in raw text format

Reading her Facebook page is very interesting.

All three scumbags should get plenty of time in the slammer I hope.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"Gold is the canary in the financial coal mine." (Alan Greenspan)

Bottom

dorkbar

Tuesday December 27, 2011 8:36 PM

My, she's a handsome woman.

And the two genii helpers will be out in no time stealing more things from people who worked for them.

Bottom

SkyMan
Master Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 9:04 PM

Does FL. have a 3 strikes law?

Toned Franklins

U.S. Type Set

Bottom

determined
Veteran

Tuesday December 27, 2011 9:59 PM

<< The man's home was burglarized in the afternoon of Dec. 14. Stolen were the coins, a Waterford crystal collection worth $25,000 and a $5,000 collection of Ray Ban sunglasses. >>

A $5000 Ray Ban sunglasses collection? People will collect anything. But to each his own.

I'm just glad they caught the POSs.

That woman is 19 years old? She must have had a hard life.

I collect history in the form of coins.

Bottom

ajman
Collector

Tuesday December 27, 2011 10:02 PM

Maybe if the Arizona Cardinals drafted her, we'd be going to the playoffs this year. On a serious note I'm glad for the return to the collector his coins, and hopefully all three of these losers will be sitting in a 6 x 9 cell for a few years.

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.