Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's Nov 2011 BALTIMORE SHOW REPORT w/Lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got home from Baltimore and am beat, but I've been trying to post my report for the last couple days, however, I kept getting distracted, then the power died on my computer, then it got to late, etc. Any way, here's my report - now I'm headed off for a good night's sleep!

I arrived in Baltimore Wednesday early evening, and went down to Little Italy for dinner. We went to Sabatino’s, had a nice bottle of wine, then stopped by Shula’s bar where we ran into several other dealers who had just arrived in town. We tried to order a round of Irish Car Bombs but they were out of Guinness – can you believe it! So I switched gears and had a very tasty Lemon Drop martini. I then called it a night since I’d been up since 4am to catch my 6:45 am flight, and I wanted to acclimate to the 3-hour time change.

Here’s a view of the city from my hotel room at the Sheraton about 3 blocks from the convention center….

The show opened to dealers at 8am on Thursday, and everyone was hustling and bustling to get set up before early birds and the public were let in.

And I’m all ready for business!

Here’s the bourse after the public was let in at noon. We had a steady stream of people throughout most of the day, so we were kept busy most of the day.

Mark Feld was one of the first people to stop by our table – I was even able to capture him when he wasn’t scowling!

AnkurJ also stopped by – it was great to finally meet him, he’s a very nice and friendly guy!

Larry/LittleBear also came by to give Todd some coins to photograph and chatted with us for a few minutes – what a really entertaining guy!

Todd arrived in Baltimore before I did so he went to the store to get some supplies like water, etc. He was kind enough to ask me if I wanted anything and, of course, I asked if he could pick up a bottle of wine. Since Todd doesn’t drink wine, he began listing off the different labels for red wine they had at RtetAid. He found some really funky labels, so I just asked him to get some Robert Mondavi since you can’t really go wrong with any of their wine. Well, he really surprised me by getting some Mondavi PLUS this “boutique” wine because he really liked the label.

And the cork….

The Moose wine wasn’t bad at all! He also picked up some absolutely wonderful eggnog that contained two different whiskys, rum, and bourbon. Now, as I mentioned, Todd doesn’t really drink alcohol but at the end of the day he did have a small cup of this delicious concoction - as did Mark Feld!

Several more forum members stopped by:
This is Jeff/Breakdown, one of the nicest and kindest people on the planet – and not to mention, of course, he’s a big fellow tom Petty fan!

Mike/Goldbully stopped by with his box of 25th anniversary sets on his way to the PCGS table.

Matt/BillyGoatsGruff who now works at Pinnacle, is always a pleasure to see, especially to watch he and Todd banter back and forth!

Jeff/Coppercolor wanted to stay under the radar so I just took a picture of his hand and the new coin he just bought from me!

Tom/BigMoose

Chris/HalfHunter

Mike/MFH and his newps!

Scott/MsMorrisine and his son Ethan – notice the boxes - he just returned from submitting his anniversary sets to PCGS!

Mike/NE Rarities - Another fellow wine lover!

Charles/Kaz

Here is the dedicated group of forum members who was responsible for the wonderful Seated Liberty display….
Darryl/ClassicSilver, Jerry/SeatedDime, Len/Coinasaurus, Stephen/Spetty [correctly spelled] (Speety’s Dad), John/Crypto74, Steve/Mr.HalfDime

I bought a circulated Indian cent in a SEGS holder, so I asked Gene Bruder who is just across the aisle from me if he would crack it out for me! Many of you probably know that SEGS holders are the toughest holders to liberate a coin from, but Gene did it quick lickity split!

This is just an interesting fan/windmill sculpture in front of the convention center that spins…

Behind the windmill was this guy singing and playing the drums using 5 gallon buckets – he was quite good!

After the show, a group of us met back up at Shula’s bar before dinner. I made a quick stop at the ladies’ room and when I got back to our table, there was a woman sitting at our table chatting with Rick. I assumed she was in the coin industry but after she introduced herself she said she was alone at the bar, noticed Rick also sitting alone, and decided to “pick him up”! Actually, she was there for a health care convention, and her friend had other plans so she didn’t want to be in the bar by herself (which I completely understand). She was a delight and ended up joining us for the whole evening!

After Shula’s, we all piled into one of the other dealer’s van who had driven to the show, but there were only seats for 4 and we now had 5 people, so of course, the new girl had to sit on someone’s lap!

After Shula’s we headed to L.P. Steamers for dinner – wow! If you like seafood, this is the place to go! But don’t wear your best shirt, and be sure to use the bib they provide – also, you’ll need plenty of wipes when you’re through!

This is what the table looked like when we were through – I’d hate to be the one who has to clean up this mess!

And they gave us this handy tool to thwack open the crab legs, but I think it would also be very handy to have at the shows to keep Todd in line – I call it a “Todd Behavior Correctional Device”!

Since we had such a great time last time we were in Baltimore, after dinner, we went back to Howl at the Moon down at the Power Plant district. A few other dealers also joined us there. As it was the last time we were there, it was a blast!!!

Me and my new BFF Pam (or should I say Rick’s new BFF!)

Some of the dealers in our group

Out table is not far from PCGS and NGC, and they both seemed to be quite busy with people submitting their ASE 25th Anniversary sets . PCGS eve had a long line in front of their table when I stopped by.

Although this photo does show it very well (I happened by right after a few people finished but NGC was quite backed up to!

Again, this picture doesn’t show how crowded Stack’s Bowers’ table was at the beginning of the show during the auctions.

The show was even busier on Friday than Thursday. This is a plastic palm tree that one of the dealers had at his booth not far from ours.

We were pretty low key on Friday night - we went to La Travola restaurant in Little Italy for some tasty garlic-filled dining, along with a great bottle of wine.

Here is the long line of people waiting to get in the show on Saturday morning!

There are bottles of wine on display at the restaurant – I forgot to take a photo of the one we drank

Ron Sirna (ANA Legal Counsel) stopped by and showed me this cool German medal he found that depicts some cute bunnies. Apparently, it was a medal that was awarded to someone for “outstanding bunny raising”!

I even managed to find a couple new pretty coins for my own collection…

I also picked up this batch of Conder tokens from NGC – I was quite pleased with the grades I received (I’ll post Todd’s photos of these beauties when I get them). I also bought a few more and dropped them off for grading.

And here is a bunch of newps I bought at the show ….

There was lots of public in attendance the whole time, and as usual, there were peaks and valleys, but overall, it was a successful show for me - and I know it was one of Todd’s best shows too. He barely sat down! Based on some of the coins I sold, it seems that some of the higher end collector coins are increasing in demand: 1912 MPL PCGS MS64, 1922 No D PCGS AU55, 1955/55 PCGS MS62 BN, and several other better date Indian and Lincoln cents. If this show is any indication, the coin market is definitely alive and doing well!

Now I’m going to put coins on the back burner for a few days while I head to Glamis with my hubby to do some offroading, relaxing, eating, drinking and enjoying time with our friends. Hope to see some of you at the Houston Money Show in a couple weeks!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Too bad you didn't get a picture of that towman's "memorial" statue that was on display outside the tow truck/ towman convention at the hall next door.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    "Go Chargers"?! You left graffiti on the wall...
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. Thanks.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PL i always love your reports of the shows and look forward to opening the thread each time... Can`t thank you enough for your time and effort... image

AB image
  • Options
    Fantastic report Charmy! image
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Nice report Charmy! Let me tell you, that Evan Williams egg nog is the bomb. When it comes in around holiday season I always pick up at least a case as it sells out so quickly here in south fla.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Another outstanding report, Charmy. You are the greatest!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Great show report, Charmy! Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report as always. Also, thanks for identifying the dealers and forum members in your pics. It's always nice to put a face with the name.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and it was a pleasure to meet you. Charmy and Charm City are a great combination!
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Great report!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience and for putting faces to the names of the regulars here in the forum. Looks like fun was had by all. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    She is thinking.....just shoot me now!

On a side note, I cant believe I missed so many board members!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Charmy. Great report. So nice to be able to enjoy the coincon even though not there. Great to see pics of some of the forum members. It is nice to put a face to a name, even though I have never met them facetoface.
    Again, thank you for your time and sharing your trip.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy and good wine coverage. Your Baltimore report is the first I have seen in a while that indicates an upbeat market... hope it continues... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report as always. Are there any shows in the NewEngland area coming up?
    Would like to get my 25th sets graded. I would have hung out with guy playin the joint compound buckets.
    Bet he has some good stories to tell. Thanks for the report.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and pictures Charmy.

The Todd behavior correctional device looks like it had to be used a few times seeing the cracks on it image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!!
    Becky
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I've had that Three Blind Moose wine. Love the label and cork. Great report as always
  • Options
    Fantastic report Charmy! Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures, I for one really enjoy and look forward to your show reports.
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    The best reports as always and it just shows how fun it is to be a coin dealer tooimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, image
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy! It was a real pleasure seeing you and Todd! Nice to meet GoldBully as well. I still think your collage used for your advertising hand-out was awesome and would look GREAT on 8x10 glossy paper! Can you post the collage for everyone to see (and possibly print)?

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, it was good to see you at the show. Even though I declined your kind offer of a picture, I notice myself in the background of at least two photos since I was set up one row away from you. It seemed like a really good show.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Always a great show report Charmy.

For all of us that can't attend the major shows, a huge thanks for all the pics.

Mike
  • Options
    Charmy;
    Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. I was there three days and am sorry I didn't get a chance to reintroduce myself to you. During the show someone commented that the PCGS staff was kind of grumpy. I made three submissions there and the staff was extremely helpful. So I didn't understand the comment until I saw your picture of the Anniversary silver stacked up. I submitted real coins for gradiing, and they must have been going crazy with all the big boxed sets. Have a great Thanksgiving!
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good coin and great food. life is grand image thanks for the report
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report.I would have liked to see the Seated Liberty display.image
  • Options
    Did Dr. Bruder use dental implements to open that slab?

;-)
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    Love your reports, every time!

So, the gal from the bar isn't sitting on Rick's lap in the van. Who's that dealer? (Cute.)
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone - as always, it's great to be back home! Yesterday was a long day, and ALL of my "gadgets" pooped out: I forgot to charge my iPod so it died, I was finishing typing my report on the plane (in a word document) when it ran out of power again! So then I played some scrabble on my Blackberry when it began to lose power. That's what happens on long plane flights!

Anyway, I left out something I really wanted to put in my report. There was a Whitman employee who had been with them for 10 years (darn, now, I forgot his name - perhaps if someone knows his name they can post it for me) but he was killed right after he got home from working the Summer Baltimore show. Apparently, a gang drove by and opened fire at his house while he was taking the trash out, but they got the wrong house. There was a crack house on the same corner one street over, so this Whitman employee was just at the wrong place, wrong time. Several people were shot, but he was the only one who died. On Friday, his mom came to the show and spoke over the intercom to thank all the coin people who helped her with donations for the funeral, cards, phone calls showing their support, etc. She was very emotional and touched by how close-knit the coin community is, and how much they cared about what happened to her son. I just thought I would share this.

Pakasmom - Rick was in the front seat so he missed out! The guy Pam is sitting on is Alan of Coin Carolina. He is a nice guy, and not a bad dancer! image

Wei - I paid $3 to post the Chargers comment on that board, so I don't think you can categorize it as graffiti since it was a "paid" ad! image

Hotfootspin - though Gene is definitely adept with his hands, I don't think you'd want what he used to crack out that coin used on your teeth! image

TomB - I hadn't even noticed you were in those background shots - but hopefully they are obscure enough that you can remain incognito! Too bad I don't know how to "blur" you in the photo. image

coinut1799 - yes, PCGS and NGC were slammed! Since the PCGS and NGC tables were not far from us, we saw many people heading over there with their anniversary boxes so I'm sure turnaround time was slowed down due to the quantity of submissions at this show.

Littlebear - I'm glad you like my flyer, I was pleased with how it turned out - Todd did a great job on it. I will try and post a copy of it, but it's a pdf format and I don't know who to covert it so that Photobucket will recognize it.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Alan Grossclose was the one having the fun with Pam.

It is always fun having new people join our group, otherwise we'll only talk coins. I think Pam had a blast too.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    made three submissions there and the staff was extremely helpful. So I didn't understand the comment until I saw your picture of the Anniversary silver stacked up.

coinut1799, this PCGS rep was handling my submission in these photos, and could not have been any nicer
    She was helpful and put up with me taking her pic.
    She even stacked the coins for a better pic.
    Too bad I suck at pic taking.
    I too want to thank Charmy for her wonderful show report, as it brings the show to those who cannot attend.
    Pretty PCGS rep. taking her job seriously.(she actually mentioned that to me)
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Charmy, thank you for sharing your photos and a fun show report!

-- Dennis

• Options
    Charmy:

Good to meet you at the Seated Coin Fest. Always fun to see your show report.

spetty
    spetty
  • Options
    Nice pics! Always wondered what the "island" looked like with the palm tree! Heard the owner talk about it, took the thing apart and helped him load before the previous baltimore.

The palm is actually made of steel!
  • Options

<< <i>Love your reports, every time!

So, the gal from the bar isn't sitting on Rick's lap in the van. Who's that dealer? (Cute.) >>

That's Al Groseclose (hope I spelled his last name right). He's a dealer from Charlotte, NC.
  • Options
    Great report as always!
  • Options
    Great report, Charmy! It was nice to meet you on Thursday! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pics! Always wondered what the "island" looked like with the palm tree! Heard the owner talk about it, took the thing apart and helped him load before the previous baltimore.

The palm is actually made of steel! >>

Shottaker, I don't remember seeing the palm tree before - so what is the significance to the "island"?
  • Options
    Penny lady

He has always had his own island at that show with the other dealer so that is why they have a palm tree. They have there OWN ISLAND.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure am glad you didn't have your camera in the ready when we met in Wisconsin. That would have been cheesey image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file