Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's 2011 Portland PNNA Show Report w/Lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Friday: I love visiting Portland, it’s always so green and lush, full of beautiful trees – it makes you feel like you’re in the mountains. When I arrived, I enjoyed seeing all the pretty colors of the trees – last year it rained quite a bit and the trees had already lost most of their leaves, so it was nice to see such beautiful fall colors.

The show is held at the DoubleTree hotel in Portland. Set up was from 3-6pm, then opened to the public on Saturday and Sunday.

After I was finished setting up my booth, we opened up a very nice bottle of Merlot (we shared it with a couple other dealers, so it didn’t last long!)

I then took a tour around the show, and checked out some of the exhibits.

And here are our wonderful, hardworking show promoters, Lisa and Scott Loos

This is Walter Ostromecki, the ANA VP – he does an amazing job putting together and running the kids’ treasure hunt program and the scout’s merit coin collecting merit badge class at the ANA shows and several other coin shows.

My table was on the kids’ treasure hunt – this time, they had to look for a lady bug sticker at the participating dealers’ tables – can you find the one at my table in this picture?

Then Friday night we went to one of my favorite restaurants – PF Changs. Since it’s always so crowded (especially on a Friday night), we usually eat (and drink) at the bar. This is a neat horse statute outside PF Changs

Me and my Portland buddy Ron

Glenn/PonyExpress also joined us.

Our hard-working cutie-pie bartenders!

This is the fortune cookie I got at PF Changs and fortune that was inside – seriously!

Saturday: Before the show, we went to breakfast at this wonderful place out in Lake Oswego – it has old fashioned décor and delicious eggs benedict!

When the show opened, there were quite a few people waiting to come in. Several forum members made it to the show and stopped by my table (of course, they are holding their new “The Penny Lady” copper coin cards!

Brian/Meltdown

David/SeattleSlammer

Realone (he wanted to remain incognito)

Matt/BillyGoatsGruff

Rob/Lostsisler

Jeff Shevlin and his grandson Toby

Karl/Kove

Me!

There was a definite “buzz” to the show for a good part of the day on Saturday; however, several dealers, including me, found that many customers were not looking to spend a lot of money, so sales in general were low. I heard that Portland has a very high unemployment rate, and they have been among the hardest hit states for home foreclosures, so I think many people were wanting to keep their money in their wallets in Portland.

Here’s the bottle of wine we had on Saturday – it was very yummy!

I was able to visit a couple of my favorite dealers, especially my wonderful Conder token dealer (Gary Groll) who recently moved to the Pacific Northwest.

Gary always has some wonderful Conder tokens! I picked out several that I fell in love with, then narrowed it down to three tokens: one is in an almost terminal die state (Middlesex 746), another is extremely rare (Middlesex 298), and the third one is not rare, but fun and pretty (Middlesex 1017) – I can’t wait to have Todd properly photograph them for me.

Gary also had on display in his case a very cool print, and two extremely rare books worth 6 figures.

This “Pig’s Meat” poster is an original hand-painted artwork relating to the “pig” Conder tokens

This issue of the Coin Collectors Companion was printed especially for Thomas Spence and includes some of Spence’s handwritten notes.

Rob/Lostsisler showed me a couple nice Lincolns that I bought, but then he pulled out this really beautiful 1877-S Seated Liberty Half LoveToken. As everyone knows, I am a copper lover and, other than some Native American silver rounds, I don’t own ANY silver coins. However, this piece just caught my eye, especially since it is the same date as the key date to the Indian cent series, so I decided to pull the trigger and buy it (shhhhh, don’t tell Todd or I’ll never hear the end of it!!!). It has beautiful engraving on the obverse in the fields on both sides of Liberty, and is in at least AU55-AU58 condition – all original.

On Saturday night, Ron and I went to another very good chain restaurant – the Claim Jumper. Again, it was packed (it happened to be Homecoming night for the local high school!), so we at the bar. I really like how decorative the draft beer pull handles are so I took another photo of them at the Claim Jumper (I also had taken a photo of the one at the German pub in Pittsburgh)!

I decided to have their house special Mai Tai – and boy was it yummy! They even added an extra orange slice and cherry for me!

Though their chicken tortilla soup was very tasty, I’m a spice wimp and it was a little too spicy for me, so I gave it to Ron

Sunday: When the show opened on Sunday, about a dozen or so people were waiting to come in. More trickled in but the show remained sparse throughout the day. Most people just wanted to stop by and chat which is fine, especially when the show is slow – and Sunday was very slow. I made a couple sales, then it was time to pack up and head to the airport for home!

Before I end my report, I wanted to relay a couple interesting events that occurred at this show, one good and one bad. I’ll start with the bad one. I didn’t get all the details but a dealer had put his inventory in his car after the show Saturday night (I’m not sure for how long or why he left it there), but someone apparently had watched him leave the show and then broke into his car and took the inventory (again, I’m not sure how much was taken but I heard it was significant). To me, this is sickening and heartbreaking. Security reminded all the dealers on Sunday morning to be extremely careful and diligent when leaving the show.

Now the good thing. On Saturday, an elderly couple who have been my customers for quite a while, were looking at some coins in my case when a dealer came over to speak with them. After the dealer left, the couple told me that they had just bought a beautiful 1916-D Mercury dime in PCGS AU58FB from this dealer for over $5,000, and that the dealer came over to tell them that he had made a mistake. Apparently, the dealer also had a 1916-D Mercury dime in PCGS XF45 and when he looked at his price list, he quoted the couple the price for the XF45 rather than the AU58 (for which he had paid over $10,000).

However, the dealer didn’t ask the couple for the coin back, nor any more money, he just wanted to make sure the couple knew that the 1916-D dime they bought was worth a lot more in case they intended to resell it.

So after the dealer left, the couple told me the story and asked what I thought they should do. I said if it were me, I wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping the coin under those circumstances, and that I would probably go back to the dealer and try to work something out that was more fair to both parties. The couple said they felt the same way. So when they were finished with our transaction, the couple went back over to the dealer and offered to “undo” the deal, either giving him more money or returning the coin. However, they were even more surprised when the dealer refused both and said it was his mistake and that he wanted the couple to keep the coin, and didn’t want any additional money either. Of course, the couple was quite surprised – and told me that, even though the dealer refused to take any additional money for the coin, they still intended to send him more money when they got home.

When the couple told me this, I too was very surprised because losing more than $5,000 on a deal due to a simple mistake would cause any dealer severe heart palpitations. So when I thought about including this story in my show report, I went over to the dealer to ask if he minded me using his name. I told him it was a very heartwarming story, and that it would really show the coin community that there are truly some honest and honorable dealers amongst us. However, the dealer said he really didn’t want any notoriety, and that yes, it was a “costly” mistake, but it was his mistake and he felt good about handling it this way.

So on that note, see you all in Baltimore!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Chicken tortilla soup and a mai tai at the same time...if that doesn't guarantee frequent trips to the bathroom...
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Thank you Charmy, for another wonderful trip report. That was some story about the '16-D. Amazing. Too bad about the theft though.

By the way, I found your lady bug.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I always like the reports and love all the pics. Thanks for taking the time again Charmy.

Mike
  • Options
    Excellent! Is there any way for readers here to order the “The Penny Lady” copper coin cards?
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Wow, talk about class on both sides of the table...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzers thanks for posting the 16-D story! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    BRAVO!!image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy... and that Cabernet is an excellent wine.... Too bad about the robbery, however, it has been stated many times that leaving inventory in an unattended car is like a welcome mat to thieves - they WATCH THE SHOWS AND PARKING AREAS!!!!!!
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and photos!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for posting theseimage

Is that Todd in the first pic setting up? I swear he looks almost EXACTLY like my best friend of 30 years.

And, is Realone giving his version of "talk to the hand"?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you so much for posting theseimage

Is that Todd in the first pic setting up? I swear he looks almost EXACTLY like my best friend of 30 years.

And Realone giving his version of "talk to the hand"? >>

I am scared to think which one you think is me....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

I'll try and see if I can find a recent ( within the last 10 years ) of my friend and send it to you. You'll see image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I'll try and see if I can find a recent ( within the last 10 years ) of my friend and send it to you. You'll see image >>

I hope you met him when you were 5......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    great report as usual...too bad the 1916D dealer wishes to remain anonymous....those are the kind of people I go out of my way to do business with
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another excellent report Charmey! It was good to meet you again and thanks for the copper.
    The next show that comes around, I'm taking the weekend off and hanging out after the show with you all.

By the way, I think something might be wrong with your iphone...
    Somehow I came out looking like a complete goofball in your photo. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report!

Now, if I don't get one of those "Penny Lady" tokens, I'm gonna bust!

Matt
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report, Charmy, and spot-on as usual.

Saturday was a good day for business, Sunday was awful.

Both days were great for chatting with some great folks at my table. I spent an hour Saturday with Mozin talking prooflike commems, and he came back for more punishment on Sunday (I don't think Mozin knew there was wine at Charmy's table!). Spent a great couple hours with folks like Jerry Bobbe, Doug Winter, and others, as well. I would like to have spent more time with SeattleSlammer and his cool crusty coins.

Lots of great coin people in the Northwest who made it to this show!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report!

Hope everyone enjoys their newps.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the ladybug sticker on the black table light?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report love seeing all the pictures and you always make those shows look like a fun time. Thanks for taking the time to share....Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report charmy. i love the windmill and covered wagan image
  • Options
    I guess Gary Groll is back from across the pond. When I saw him in Philly, he was headed to England for a month. Would love to see some of the new tokens he picked up over there!
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • Options
    wow a 1916d AU58 FB CAC for 5 grand. What a dealer but I would have had a hard time keeping it.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great report!!
    Becky
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy. Couldn't make it this time but I'm sure I'll see you further on up the road!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool report image A big mai tai sounds pretty good rignt now image

• Options
    Great report and pictures! I feel terrible about the coin burglary, but like Ricko, have to wonder why people aren't more vigilant and need to be reminded in this business.

Kudos to the dealer who took the beating on the 16-D but honored his word - I know only good Karma will come to him. The buyers were wonderful to go back and try to work it out with him. Beautiful coin!

Thanks for sharing!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the neat report Charmy, much appreciated.

Kove and I had a great time talking Classic Commemoratives, and Jerry Bobbe joining in was an extra special treat. Jerry has been a friend for some time, but he usually spends his time talking tokens. These two gentlemen made this Portland Show the best in memory for me.

Those looking for Bust coins had little to view, as is usual for this show.

There are some areas of Portland where one best not be alone at night, but I am very surprised about the coin theft mentioned by Charmy.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we have to assume this is his better side?? image

Thanks for the report. D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    great pictures
    thanks for sharingimage
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, thanks for the new coin card. It's very cool and has a good weight to it being real copper. I've already sent it out to PCGS for grading and expect at least a 68PL.

Wow, that's an amazing and somewhat odd story about the 16-D. I don't really understand why the dealer didn't correct the deal given that it happened the same day and the buyers were so eager to make it right. Of course it's obviously an honest, good-guy seller, but perhaps also a glutton for punishment?

I enjoyed the show and picked this up for my gold type set from Revick at West Coast Coins. It's got really nice luster and orange peel toning in the devices--though you'd never guess it from my amateur pic.

As usual thanks for your great report!
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome report PL... I enjoyed all the pics...

ABimage
  • Options
    Nice pics - thanks for the Penny-Card.

BGG
    BGG
  • Options
    Great report, Charmy! That is a GREAT story about the 16-D. Makes me want to buy something from that dealer.

And that Middlesex is one wild hog. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I do enjoy posting these reports but knowing that you all like them to makes it even better!

The couple contacted me after I got home about something else and mentioned again that they couldn't sleep at night until they "made the 1916-D right." I think this story really shows some extraordinary selfless humanity on both sides of the table.

We all read a lot of stories on the message boards about someone getting slighted by a deal gone bad and people lashing out against the other party, or someone bragging about what a great deal they got by taking advantage of someone else's mistake, neglect, or simple naivety. But I think this 1916-D story reminds us that we are all human, we all make mistakes (some more costly than others), and reacting with professionalism, thoughtfulness and honor (instead of anger and defensiveness) can help us all sleep better at night! image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy seeing your reports! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    GREAT Stories and nice pics Charmy!
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent! Is there any way for readers here to order the “The Penny Lady” copper coin cards? >>

I hope she will take the time to answer this. I want one too!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Excellent! Is there any way for readers here to order the “The Penny Lady” copper coin cards? >>

All you have to do is stop by my table at a show and sing "Red Red Wine," image or if you can't carry a tune, feel free to bring me some! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

All you have to do is stop by my table at a show and sing "Red Red Wine," image or if you can't carry a tune, feel free to bring me some! imageimage >>

Warmin' up the vocal chords ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file