Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever Wonder What a Morgan Dollar Looks Like in MS69PL??

Here you go. I wonder what this one will bring?

MS69PL

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant wait to see it at lot viewing!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimage

That looks Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Edited to take a guess on Final Price: $50,000 - $80,000
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the luster does look incredible, look at the large pictures of the cheek.

Not even close to what I would expect for a 69.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I don't know... Modern coins really don't do it for me anymore! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the luster does look incredible, look at the large pictures of the cheek.

Not even close to what I would expect for a 69. >>

It seems to have some roller marks.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While the luster does look incredible, look at the large pictures of the cheek.

Planchet striations. As struck in other words.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Planchet striations. As struck in other words. >>

There are enough other marks on the obverse and the reverse that I would not expect to see this in a 69 holder. This is a very nice looking dollar but if it was a modern it would have graded lower. I would expect the grading standards to be similar, she is not perfect or borderline perfect.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm I'd sure like to see it in hand but I'm also not really seeing this as a 69 baised on those pics. To be honest I have a 67 thats as nice as that, to the op's question I'm sure it will bring big bucks from a registry player.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh! I DEFINITLEY have to see that one in lot viewing!!

-Paul
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

I agree.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    If it is as struck it should not be included in the numerical grade. Just like adjustment marks on early flowing hair dollars.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it is as struck it should not be included in the numerical grade. >>

Weakly struck coins can be totally bag mark-free and still grade less than MS-65. Sure some things, like die cracks for instance, don't usually have a negative influence on the grade, but others sure do. I find whatever those marks are on the cheek to be distracting and I'd grade the coin with that in mind.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the coin, but I'm sure it's still very nice.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    While this 1880-S is certainly a killer coin IMO, I think the finest business strike Morgan dollar that exists is the Wayne Miller 1878-S which I believe PCGS graded an MS68PL sometime in the distant past, and was also the plate and cover coin on Miller's Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook. That 78-S is just amazing IMO.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, but I would grade it MS67 PL. It would need to have a perfect cheek to make 69 in my book.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful coin, but I would grade it MS67 PL. It would need to have a perfect cheek to make 69 in my book. >>

Not a chance it's that low. It's a high end 68PL in my book, maybe a 68+PL. But probably not a 69.

-Paul
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really expected to see something special, but? It's nice alright but I think it's over graded. I would expect to see a blemish free, or VERY near blemish free coin, but I'm not. I'll bet the luster is booming....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree. >>

image Also, look in the field to the left of the eye...there is nick in the field in addition to the small nick on the cheek...and then way too many luster breaks. I have seen better cheeks on MS67s!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally would call this a very special coin!!

AL
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the older heritage photos look more consistent with the grade
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It seems to have some roller marks. >>

Thise must have been HUGE roller marks to have not been struck out of the coin.

I would expect to see evidence of these maks elsewhere on the coin as well since roller marks occur during strip preparation. At the very minimum, within the fields since the metal flows up into the die.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed how many armchair experts there are this morning. All of the sudden everybody is a Morgan Dollar expert and everybody can grade better than PCGS.

Until you've had the opportunity to view this coin in person it doesn't help to speculate on the merits of the assigned grade. As we all know it is impossible to grade a coin based on images.

I have viewed this coin in person before but I will do it again before I form an opinion about it.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just freaking insane.

Roller marks are part of the as-made reality for many Morgans.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm amazed how many armchair experts there are this morning. >>

It's not just this morning, and it is not just on this forum. I honestly would say that at least 80% of the people I meet - collectors and dealers alike - are convinced that they can grade coins better than the grading services.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the CAC sticker?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I don't care for the ultra Grade game or morgans but that is a special coin that if you put in a pile of 100 other high end morgans you could pick it out repeatedly as the best which is more then I can say for a lot of other plastic super stars
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one nice 80-S PL Morgan, would love to have it in my collection. The roller marks give the coin originality and should not take away from the grade.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must agree with Wei.... the criticism leveled in this thread is unbelievable. I guess PCGS just does not have competent graders... they should hire off this forum. Amazing. I am sure y'all are better football coaches on Monday morning as well. Unbelievable. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here it is from five years ago >>

It look much nicer in these pics.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

It's not just this morning, and it is not just on this forum. I honestly would say that at least 80% of the people I meet - collectors and dealers alike - are convinced that they can grade coins better than the grading services. >>

I do not think you are interpreting the opinions correctly. No one has claimed they can grade better than PCGS. No one has claimed to be the biggest MORGAN EXPERT here. Do you deny that there is a nick in the cheek? Do you deny there is a nick in the field to the left of the eye? Do you deny the luster breaks in several places? Do you deny that "I" have seen better looking cheeks on MS67 Morgans? Is someone calling me a liar here? I think the only thing people like myself are saying is that for a MS69 PL, we (the forum folk without money to even bid on it) would expect a little better. If this were just a nice 66 or 67 being discussed I bet a lot of people would say hold off and wait...find a better one without roller marks across the cheek(or what looks like roller marks...whatever). Geez! Now you all holier-than-thou folk can get off your high horse and stop putting words in our mouths. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and not everyone can afford to fly out there, go to lot viewing, then issue an opinion. It is funny that the rich-snob-holier-than-thou folks can sit around and bash all of the people with cheaper coins BUT OHHHHHH BOY, HOLD JUST A MINUTE...The Poor People cannot stand up and criticize a rich-person's toy? Is that how it works around here? It sure seems like it sometimes. image

Someone asked where the CAC sticker was! This is a good question! Is this a coin that our dear friend at Legend would pass on?...would they call it a widget? Should it be in a 68 or 68+ holder...then get a CAC sticker? Maybe TDN will chime in with his thoughts?
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will admit that I don't know how to grade Morgans. But it doesn't matter to me if or if not the grade should not be affected by the roller marks. It kills it for me. I would rather have a 65 with a clean cheek. I would not pay big money for any Morgan, but especially this one. JMHO.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are simple. It appears to be a very special coin. Those expecting perfection in an MS69 circulation strike are a bit out to lunch...so any ticks or luster grazes are easily forgiven in my mind. With that said, my personal opinion is that the roller marks APPEAR in the image to be a bit distracting and therefore although it may be correctly graded, it's not a coin that I personally would step up and buy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's not just this morning, and it is not just on this forum. I honestly would say that at least 80% of the people I meet - collectors and dealers alike - are convinced that they can grade coins better than the grading services. >>

I do not think you are interpreting the opinions correctly. No one has claimed they can grade better than PCGS. No one has claimed to be the biggest MORGAN EXPERT here. Do you deny that there is a nick in the cheek? Do you deny there is a nick in the field to the left of the eye? Do you deny the luster breaks in several places? Do you deny that "I" have seen better looking cheeks on MS67 Morgans? Is someone calling me a liar here? I think the only thing people like myself are saying is that for a MS69 PL, we (the forum folk without money to even bid on it) would expect a little better. If this were just a nice 66 or 67 being discussed I bet a lot of people would say hold off and wait...find a better one without roller marks across the cheek(or what looks like roller marks...whatever). Geez! Now you all holier-than-thou folk can get off your high horse and stop putting words in our mouths. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and not everyone can afford to fly out there, go to lot viewing, then issue an opinion. It is funny that the rich-snob-holier-than-thou folks can sit around and bash all of the people with cheaper coins BUT OHHHHHH BOY, HOLD JUST A MINUTE...The Poor People cannot stand up and criticize a rich-person's toy? Is that how it works around here? It sure seems like it sometimes. image

Someone asked where the CAC sticker was! This is a good question! Is this a coin that our dear friend at Legend would pass on?...would they call it a widget? Should it be in a 68 or 68+ holder...then get a CAC sticker? Maybe TDN will chime in with his thoughts? >>

My thoughts exactly.

If only "OMG thats Gorgeous" opinions or posts are allowed then this place would shut down rather quickly.

The fact of the matter is that the coin has some obvious flaws and questions regarding those flaws should be responded to with qualified answers and not necessarily STHU answers.

BTW, can anybody post pictures of other morgans with roller marks?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>BTW, can anybody post pictures of other morgans with roller marks? >>

Look around the eyes... image

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Perhaps what some do not understand about a coin like this and why it received the grade it did is that:

1) Morgan dollars are not graded like silver eagles, nor are Chain cents graded like a memorial Lincoln cent, nor is a 1796 quarter graded like state quarters. In fact, Morgan dollars aren't even graded like Trade or Seated dollars IMO.

2) Nitpicking on every tiny mark or flaw and you are missing the big picture on grading very high quality coins. Bagmarks are only one aspect of a coins grade......lustre, strike, eye appeal, the overall "look" all count too. It is many times the inexperienced grader who looks primarily at the marks on a coin and formulates at grade based on that.

3) By assigning a grade of MS69PL, perhaps what PCGS is saying is this coin is simply one point better (in their opinion) than any MS68PL they've seen?

One thing is for sure, that is one awfully nice 80-S!
  • Options

<< <i>No one has claimed they can grade better than PCGS. >>

Sure they have - by pointing out that they think the coin does not look like a 69 to them.

<< <i>It is funny that the rich-snob-holier-than-thou folks can sit around and bash all of the people with cheaper coins BUT OHHHHHH BOY, HOLD JUST A MINUTE...The Poor People cannot stand up and criticize a rich-person's toy? Is that how it works around here? It sure seems like it sometimes. image >>

I have no idea who consigned this coin, and I have no idea who most of the commenters in this thread are, let alone what their various income levels are, nor do I care, nor does that have anything to do with the fact that, merely by looking at an image, a number of people in this thread have concluded that it is not an accurately graded 69.

Personally, I have no opinion - I have never seen this coin in hand.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cant wait to see it at lot viewing! >>

I agree... this may be the first time I've ever went to lot viewing actually wanting to see a Morgan Dollar image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them marks on the cheek really detracts from the whole thing image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My thoughts are simple. It appears to be a very special coin. Those expecting perfection in an MS69 circulation strike are a bit out to lunch...so any ticks or luster grazes are easily forgiven in my mind. With that said, my personal opinion is that the roller marks APPEAR in the image to be a bit distracting and therefore although it may be correctly graded, it's not a coin that I personally would step up and buy. >>

The few classic MS69 type coins I've seen had some ticks and scuffs. While I wasn't expecting them you'd be hard pressed to find better coins. In any case there is now easily room for
    a 69+ Morgan should one show up. Obvious roller marks wouldn't cut it on a MS69 coin if I were a buyer. I don't think I would accept them on a MS68 either. When it comes to monster MS Morgans I always think of that MS67 DMPL 1886-O. Shouldn't exist.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well all I will say is if someone wants it they sure need to look at it as those images are terrible.image

That coin needs to be sent back to the photo dept. and be reshot.

And as mentioned from first glance I think I have seen quite a few MS67 coins that are as nice just not in series that get extra credit.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No one has claimed they can grade better than PCGS. >>

Sure they have - by pointing out that they think the coin does not look like a 69 to them. >>

>>

So you are saying that when a person expresses a single opinion on a single coin, that is an automatic claim that they are better graders than PCGS?...I doubt it! I disagree with you and think your claim is ridiculous. Claiming to be a better grader would need to be supported by hundreds of examples(if not thousands) covering many different series.

Panties are getting twisted over one opinion?! Holy Cow!

TDN chimed in which is nice...I do not expect perfection in a MS69 PL grade for a coin that is 130ish years old so I am glad he is not talking to me. His opinion that this is not one he would go after kinda makes me feel he agrees with at least some things that are being said here. Probably not a coin that is solid/strong for the grade...probably not a coin that would merit a special sticker. I am not sure if this is what he is saying, it is just my guess given his previously expressed preference for solid/strong-for-the-grade special sticker coins....or maybe I am confusing him with Legend? I could be wrong...it seems plenty of people think I am wrong quite often. I have not said this coin is NOT an MS69 PL but I do wonder if it would have a special sticker on the holder if it were in a 68+ PL holder. A coin like this with roller marks across the cheek does not make for a strong/solid MS69 example IMO.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...hmmmm. if only it was wearing the bean image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    That's a real pretty Morgan- but i agree with some of the criticism of it based on the images available. My hunch is that there are a fair number of other 1880-S Morgans out there that would give you equal eye appeal to this one, without the hefty $80K price tag.
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    As stated in the auction text, 1880-S Morgans are not uncommon in high MS PL/DMPL condition.
    In the 1970s I purchased several rolls of 1880-S dollars and they were absolutely gorgeous, most of them would these days grade MS66 or 67 PL or even DMPL.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Somebody better buy this coin so I can see it too, I'm not going to Pittsburgh. Argh!

Pretty nice.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW !!!
    It's a beautiful coin regardless of the grading disagreements.
    I would really like to see it in person.
    Based on the photos it is outstanding.
    I hope the winner appreciates it cherishes it as such.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I find it amazing how a lot of the posters here automatically side with PCGS. We all have eyes. Use them. I may not be able to say what grade a coin is from pictures, but i can surely say what grade it isnt and that is not a 69. Sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>WOW !!!
    It's a beautiful coin regardless of the grading disagreements.
    I would really like to see it in person.
    Based on the photos it is outstanding.
    I hope the winner appreciates it cherishes it as such. >>

I'm sure s/he'll have around 160,000 if not more reasons to "cherish" it.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it amazing how a lot of the posters here automatically side with PCGS. We all have eyes. Use them. I may not be able to say what grade a coin is from pictures, but i can surely say what grade it isnt and that is not a 69. Sorry. >>

I have to agree. Those roller marks are on a prime focal area (the cheek) and are too obvious/distracting for the lofty grade of 69. A true 69 should require the viewer to have to look hard to find out why it wasn't a 70. I know that roller marks are a mint created defect but so are weak strikes which are a negative factor when grading high grade coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    llafoe- Morgan looks great, always has been a sexy woman.
    The coin is tough to get a grasp based on the pics.
    Looks nice n clean to me. How many Morgans are graded MS69, any date or mm?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file