Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a MACHINE/SHELF DOUBLED Coin...Warning: Giant Image Inside. :)

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
Instead of poking fun at them and saying they AREN'T DDOs or DDRs...let's celebrate them...because they ARE COOL!
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Cool 69-S Tony!
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Nice one Tom
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    A large picture of "Machine Doubling" image

Here is one that graded MS66

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Really like the Buffalo!
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Here's one I thought was a real DDO until people explained to me why incise machine doubling has split serifs
  • Options
    Bumped for some hopeful date time participants. image
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Boy Scout coin - Really don't have a great handle on what machine doubling and shelf doubling is - but this looks to be something image

Jeff

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    IKE

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

My Yellowstone P. PCGS will not slab it as such.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    WOW MrSpud, that 4 is very interesting!! Is that really machine doubling?
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Becky
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This shows just how quirky machine doubling can be.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Nice one JRocco. That doubling is on par with the coin I posted, if not a little more extreme. image
  • Options
    Thought I would post these pictures here, as I am just learning the difference between all these different oddities. This is a 1890 Morgan. His right (left looking at him) wing and the IGWT. Bumped up the exposure to get it to show.
    Did I get it right on this one? After blowing this guy up and looking at his face for quite a long time, I have decided he is a very angry bird. image
  • Options
    Some cool coins. And I agree, they may not be the "right" coins, but still collectible anyway.
    Could be a new collectable group???
    I have a bunch of laminated, or rather delaminated buffalo nickels, and I don't care what anybody thinks.... I think they are cool.
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    Thanks for bumping this thread. I have a nice Mint State 1943 Merc that I need to photograph and post in here. image
  • Options
    ThenewguyThenewguy Posts: 755
    Cant find my picture of the whole coin.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pf70collector's Wyoming sure looks like doubling.. would like to understand why it would not be slabbed as such. Must be missing something... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Pf70collector's Wyoming sure looks like doubling.. would like to understand why it would not be slabbed as such. Must be missing something... Cheers, RickO >>

I would tend to agree that is a DDO, not shelf/machine/mechanical doubling.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pf70collector's Wyoming sure looks like doubling.. would like to understand why it would not be slabbed as such. Must be missing something... Cheers, RickO >>

Easy peasy Ricko.

The lettering is incused and incused lettering shows machine doubling differently then lettering thats in relief. When questioning James Wiles on a Yellowstone 5oz coin (Below) that displayed similar doubling, James wrote:

"Lee:

The lettering around the border field is incuse. MDD on incuse design elements will show splits in the serifs. While true die doubling will show as extensions. This has been known for many years.

Thanks,

James Wiles"

image .. image

image .. image

Here's a link to the
    1984-W Commemorative that shows what doubling on an Incused Letter coin looks like. The word OLYMPIAD (photo's at the bottom) is incused on the coin while other letter elements are in relief.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    harveypbharveypb Posts: 514
    Here's some neat machine doubling on the date of a flying eagle cent.

• Options
    FrozeninkFrozenink Posts: 446 ✭✭

Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file