Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's Ontario July 2011 Show Report with Photos (and some OT Photos Added)!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
This report will be short and (hopefully) sweet! In my opinion, the Ontario show is an up and coming show, with great potential, but is not quite there yet. Possibly, it's due to it being held in the middle of summer and folks seem to not be as into coin shows as they are in the spring and fall. As I mentioned before, it's a really great location! Everyone who comes to the show says how easy it is to get to the show, how open and roomy the tables and aisles are. A couple comments include, of course, the $9 parking fee and that the tables don't show actual table numbers. Other than that, it is a very comfortable and easy show to attend.

Thursday was set up from 9-noon, then the show opened to the public at noon (earlier than last year's 2pm). It seemed like everyone was pretty busy on Thursday, business was steady, as I mentioned on another thread, I did buy a few coins and sold several coins. Friday was quite slow, which is typical in my experience when a show opens on thursday (like Long Beach), then Saturday was hopping with lots of collectors. I did well on Saturday, and from what I could tell from speaking with several dealers, they had better sales on Saturday as well.

Todd was set up doing onsite photography and selling coins (along with his dad, Roger/MustangGT). I don't think he sold many coins at this show, but he was busy on Thursday and Friday shooting lots of coins (I personally gave him about 50 coins to photograph and I know Larry Shapiro gave him a large batch as well).

From what I heard, boullion was the bid seller all around, though I did have several collectors spend some time and money at my table buying collector type coins - which of course, is what I'm there for! Lots of families and kids showed up on Saturday, including about a dozen or so scouts n their proper uniforms!

And yes the $9 parking fee was not well received, but even the dealers had to pay!

So here are a few photos I took at the show...

The bourse floor

My new add that Todd designed for me that I displayed at the registration table for the first time!

A really good bottle of wine from one of my favorite vinehards (Cooper) I brought that we shared at the show

Todd's one and only coin purchase at the show!

Some fun and favorite people at the show...

Dennis88

Brad

RobKool from the Long Beach Coin Club!

And my dear friend Jerry

That's about it. I had to leave the show a little early to join my hubby in Lake Havasu - where I am right now! Can't wait to get in the boat and hit the lake tomorrow!!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    $9 to park, what a rip
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a smaller show than Summer FUN and it was $13 to park at Summer FUN.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Thanks for the report. From the photos it looks like a pickers paradise! Just the right amount of dealers!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If Thursday could be called busy then I don't even want to think about how dreadfully bad Friday was.

This show has been gradually increasing in size. Soon enough it could possibly be the second largest coin show in Southern California, second to the Long Beach shows.

The $9 parking charge for the convention center parking lot is the biggest joke in San Bernardino county. Go park at the Doubletree hotel or any of the numerous other hotel/ motels nearby for free. The Doubletree is just as close to the front door as the convention center parking lot is.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics & show report Charmy !!! image I personally had a good time there, and brought my little YN daughter too. She got plenty of free stuff, while I got the FREE parking. Of course... I had to do a little walking tho. I did buy a lot of 1,000 Lincolns at face value. image I also had Todd image some freshly graded pcgs stuff, and met a few forum peeps including: Dennis88, Glenn "Ponyexpress", Roger "mustangGT", Raul "Mr.Organic", Larry "PQPeace", & J J "BNB"...
    Look'n kool like always... image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report and interesting wine..... I bet you are enjoying some great wine at Lake Havasu... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Great report as always, Charmy.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a smaller show than Summer FUN and it was $13 to park at Summer FUN. >>

for the money that is dropped at these shows, parking should be free and or validated. jmo
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the parking for this show is controlled by the City (or County) and not the Convention Center. The show promoters do a great job but have no control over the cost of the parking or I am sure it would be free.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and I clicked on it as always to see what was happening at a show I could not attend!

Still waiting to see if you have the tunes playing . . 'Stairway' has not been forgotten by me. I have been by several times to check out the table, but as always, you are busy, and it seems the public has pulled you away from subtle tunage in the background. Well, no matter . . I will show up with a vintage offering from the cellar at one time and finally let you know which face is actually Drunner . . but it would be great to hear Page's solo at King's Court (1975) for our opening meeting. So funny . . . you have contributed several superb coins the the Drunner Indian Set, but I have been a good boy and remained in the background. No problem at all . . I have several extreme vintages in the personal cellar that would be just perfect for a numismatic gift.

The meeting time will come . . . but it must age like a fine Cabernet . . . . . .

Keep the reports coming!

Drunner
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report Charmy image
    Like your new add poster, very professional.
    Good job Todd.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to each and every show report Charmy. As always a big "thank you" for the pics.

Mike
  • Options
    What is with the guy with the basketball in the second picture?

$9, no way.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What is with the guy with the basketball in the second picture?"

He shoots some hoops when business is slow....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drunner, I usually have my tunes playing at every show except Long Beach and Santa Clara because they pipe in their own music. But don't you think it's time to REVEAL who you are! Perhaps in Chicago....

Ricko, that Coopers Meurvedre wine was absolutely FAVULOUS - you should try some!

Don't know about the basketball, but I'm assuming it had someone's signature on it.

We're getting ready to head home from Havasu - the weather hear was amazingly beautiful, of course hot, but we had a great time on the water. Here are a few photos from sunny Havasu.... Next stop, Coinarama in San diego this coming weekend!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file