Home U.S. Coin Forum

PART 2 FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's ANA Summer Seminar Report Continued...

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was suggested that since my show report has gotten quite long with all the photos that I should start a second thread. For those of you who want to read the first thread, here it is: Charmy's ANA Summer Seminar Show Report Part 1

Monday...

This was our first day of full classes. As I mentioned, I'm taking Doug Bird and Steve Carr's Early American Copper class. We spent a lot of time on becming familiar with EAC books and learning to attribute large and half cents. It was quite tedious but so worth all the effort.

John Wright graciously donated a copy of his book "The Cent" to our class for each one of us to keep! Wow, I know it's about $100 book, so we were all very thrilled and appreciative to have this book!

We also received an older copy of "Copper Quotes by Jack Robinson" which is the best pricing guide for EAC.

I went to the book sale at the ANA offices on Sunday when it first opened but it was overly crowded and too difficult to sort through the books. So at lunch I went back to the ANA and was able to check out what was left. I ended up buying some really neat old pamphlet type books on of course various types of copper! I was especially pleased with one of the books which is a 1924 reprint of a very rare 1881/1883 EAC book.

Then after class, a bunch of us gathered to head over to the Sky Sox baseball game and fireworks. Here are some photos taken on the bus.

Opening ceremonies

That is the first minor league game I'd been to and it was a lot of fun - they had some sort of entertainment in between each inning, including this guy who had life-sized Michael Jackson puppets lined up and attached to several horizontal poles and he was in the middle, and whenever he moved his arms or legs, all the other puppets moved in unison. It was quite an interesting and entertaining act.

Me and my new Sky Sox hat!

Rick/EagleEye and Chris/HalfHunter

Rick and his patriotic hotdog!

Glenn/PonyExpress

Todd/Blu62vette and one of his students

Some of the wonderful fireworks following the game

And finally, the bus ride home!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Lets see, great scenery, great food and drink, great company, great classes.

Did I leave anything out that was great. Sounds like a wonderful time was had

by all. Well done!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who says coin collecting is nerdy?
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I like the beer pic! image

"Pay for beer at the ballpark you say? NAAAAY they'll think it's just water!" image
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the beer pic! image

"Pay for beer at the ballpark you say? NAAAAY they'll think it's just water!" image >>

Well, that was our initial thinking, until we were informed that we had to leave our "water" bottles on the bus! So, of course, we "properly" disposed of the beer before we got to the game....image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it was a good time to be had by all, wtg image
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Looks like you guys had fun and then a blast!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who says coin collecting is nerdy? >>

Yes, we all wear glasses and have cowlicks image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted a picture with the eat more chicken cow!!!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one of those early shots looks like the inside of a prison bus...not that I've seen the inside of a prison bus. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Great pictures, Charmy.

Maybe next year, I'll be able to make it out there.

See you in Chicago !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures... and now you are a copper authority... super job. For those baseball games, you need a Camelback unit to hold the wine.... it conceals under your clothes and has a drinking tube.... fill it with Sangria and you are good to go... Cheers, RickO
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I wish this wasn't so far away image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to the book sale again at lunch and this time everything was 75% off. I picked up some great stuff including this mint condition book from the Pan-Pac Exhibition, 1915.

It was marked $8 so after the discount it was $2.

Later today at 4:00 everything was $4 for everything you could fit in a box. My box was very full!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, as usual, great post and pictorial discussion of your trip. As has been said many times, it gives me the feeling of having participated without going. BTW, I saw the MJ puppet show on youtube. Quite entertaining. Thanks so much for your time and effort.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy, and I'm glad I made it! (Second bus picture bottom right)

I have a ton of photos from seminar as well, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to upload them!

I was however fortunate enough to be allowed to not only image the highlight of this year's YN Auction, but I was able to design the cover as well! Here it is! image

-Paul
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I like the pics in general except the ones on this thread remind me of a certain recurring sketch on MADTV.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Last night we had a guitar jam session at the Lunar Lounge with Ron Landis (Gallery Mint), Sonny Henry, Mark Hammang and David McCarthy. It was awesome! They are all great players. They played the night before but I missed it since I was at the game.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
    Tuesday....

We had another informative day in my EAC class, did a lot of attributing and grading which seemed to go quite a bit faster than the day before. We also discussed different types of counterfeits and then we were tested to see if we could detect the counterfeit large and half cents from among about 20 different pieces. This is a great class so far, but I'm discovering that the more I learn, the more I know I have a lot more to learn!

Later after dinner, I attended the "Minting Mayhem" class with Joe Paonessa from the Badger Mint (he also creates the most beautiful Hobo nickels). Now, that is a fun class, especially if you're interested in how errors were created.

We got to work on a rolling mill:

a punch press:

a Castaing machine or edge mill:

and a No. 4 screw press (or fly press):

close up of the die on the screw press:

Using 4 pewter planchets, I created a couple of deep die caps but two planchets stuck to the hammer die and two stuck to the anvil die, so I ended up with an obv double die cap and a rev double die cap. Then I created a strike thru using a piece of copper wire that got completely meshed into the planchet. The last error I made was a double struck off center.

After the class, as Rick mentioned, several people gathered back at Lunar Lounge to listen to Ron Landis (who played a beautiful Dubrow guitar), Sonny Henry, Mark Hammang and David McCarthy play guitars and the harmonica (the harmonica is one of my favorite instruments to listen to - that's probably why I like Bob Dylan, Bruce Springstein and U2 so much). What a wonderful and relaxing atmosphere it was, the weather was cool and breezy, we had a spectacular view of Pike's Peak, all the while listening to some very talented people playing great music. It doesn't get any better than that!

• Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Great pics Charmy! Summer Seminar is a blast! If you haven't taken the EAC class I fully recommend it.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're having lots of fun!!! Getting to make your own error coins seems pretty neat! image
    The YN auction last night raised $17,000 for YN scholarships for the next years Summer Seminar. Charmy won a straw hat as one of the auction lots. Here is a picture of her playing auctioneer with it on. She also won a beautiful Weiner Cathederal medal.

I won the big coin of the auction, a Tetradrachm from Bacrtria (present day Turkmenistan) featuring Demetrios I (200 -185 B.C.E.). It was the cover plate coin of the auction.

A hobo dollar carved by Joe at Badger Mint featuring Daniel "Tiny" Cross fetched $2300.
    Wednesday....

During class, we did a lot more large cent later date attribution which is much more difficult. We also saw a lot of counterfeit EAC coins some of which were very difficult to detect. Also, the ANA photographer came in and took our class pictures.

After class, we went to dinner at the Famous Steakhouse (that's its name) and were we in for a wonderful surprise. Their food was probably one of the very best we ever had. We each had their bone-in ribeye special which was amazing, but even the side dishes were extremely tasty, including their battered onion rings! We had a bottle of Argentina Malbec, and that too was a wonderful bottle of wine. Though pricey, I definitely recommend anyone coming to Colorado Springs to stop by Famous for dinnerr (reservations are suggested).

Following dinner, we went to the YN Auction. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I knew that the auction was not meant for people to try and get a good deal on items, but is more of a fundraiser for the ANA Young Numismatist program but this being my first year at the Summer Seminar and YN Auction, I did not know that there are no real "rules" for this particular auction, so I got to be the butt of some cute pranks by my "friends." At one point, I made the mistake of leaving my "bidder number" on my chair when I went to talk to someone and one of my good ol buddies decided to use my number to bid on some items, including this handmade straw hat with a flying fish sticking out of the top owned by the ANA's beloved Summer Seminar legend Daniel "Tny" Cross!

The auction catalog and my "bidder number"

My new hat!

Then my "good buddy" Todd decided to create a counterfeit of my bidder number and began bidding on items "for me." Here are my real bidder number and Todd's counterfeit!

At one point, I was even bidding against myself (Todd using a counterfeit of my bidder number) for the Weiner medal that I eventually won! Luckily, someone else chimed in, so Todd dropped out, but I really wanted the medal so I continued to bid against another guy. We both ended up just standing up and continually holding up our bidder number as the auctioneer called out prices. However, at one point when the price got a little too high, we coincidentally dropped back to our seats at the exact same time. So the auctioneer asked who wanted to pay the last bid, and I agreed and won this beautiful medal! Since Todd owed me, he was good enough to photograph it for me this morning!

Cathedral Medal depicting Church of St. Genevieve (Pantheon) by Jacques Weiner, 1858

In addition to the Demetrios 1 tetradrachm that Rick won, the other highlight of the auction was this beautiful Hobo Morgan Dollar masterfully carved by Joe Paonessa of Tiny. It sold for $2,300!

They also auctioned off a chance at a money grab. Two of them were donated back to a YN to do the grabbing and the last one went to Tiny with an extended amount of time to grab all the bills he could.

This was a pile of play money for YN's to play with

More photos from the auction

Then of course, we ended up back at Lunar Lounge!

Rick and his alter ego Brian Fanton

Our last bottle of wine!

Tomorrow we're headed to the Denver Mint for a floor tour! I won't have any pictures of that, but there's always the bus ride! Then it's home on Saturday - yippeeeee!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    umm... did they offer a counterfeit class on currency?

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of fun! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Went to the book sale again at lunch and this time everything was 75% off. I picked up some great stuff including this mint condition book from the Pan-Pac Exhibition, 1915.

It was marked $8 so after the discount it was $2.

Later today at 4:00 everything was $4 for everything you could fit in a box. My box was very full! >>

Wow what a great buy as that's like a $20 book! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow what a great buy as that's like a $20 book! image >>

I think the market has spoken... it's like a $2 book! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    EAC class couldn't have been better with Charmy!
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Halfhunter - you added greatly to the week as well.
  • Looks like fun!
    Thursday...

In class we did some more variety attributions, and then we got to see quite a few neat large cent errors.

This was a fantastic class and Steve Carr and Doug Bird are excellent instructors. If you are at all interested in Early American Copper, I highly recommend taking their class. Chris/HalfHunter06 was in the class with me, and he was very good a figuring out the attributions much quicker than i did! He is a joy to be around, very kind, supportive and always positive - and he sure loves coins!

So Thursday after class was the wine and cheese reception and "graduation" banquet, followed by a "Lie, Cheat, and Steal" program (I arrived here last Thursday just in time for the first session's reception, banquet, and talent show).

Here are a few photos from the banquet.

Steve and Doug right after they received their instructor awards

Todd and his award

The "Lie, Cheat, and Steal" program was put on by Andy/Mr. Eureka and I was honored to be included in the panel. We were given 4 scenarios involving coin deals gone bad and yhe 4 panel members argued one side or the other. Then the audience was divided up into 7 jury groups consisting of 5-6 people, and they had to decide which side they thought was ethically right (not leally). Jerry Bobby was one of the panel members and he sure was a hoot! Unfortunately, since I was a panel member, I didn't get any photos, but I think Todd or Rick or maybe Chris may have taken some photos so perhaps they can post them when they get a chance. I did get this photo of Chris/HalfHunter06 wearing my new auction purchase (he looked a lot better in it than I did)!

Then of course, we all ended up back at Lunar Lounge for our last night together. I didn't take any more photos since it was mostly the same crowd, but it was another fun night, yet a little more mellow since everyone seemed to be winding down.

Friday....

Several of us signed up for the Denver Mint tour and as we were boarding the bus, many others were packing up and waiting for their shuttles to the airport. It took only about 1 1/2 hours to get to Denver, which is a very pretty city (the "Mile High City").

Since we couldn't take our cell phones into the Mint, the only picture I got was this photo of the outside of the building.

Our tour was a ground tour meaning we got to walk all around where the actual machines were, and we were strictly told not to pick up any coins we may see lying on the ground - and we did see a few here and there and it was tempting to reach down and pick them up but we all resisted! It was very interesting to see how fast the machines work and how many coins they produce in seconds!

When we got back to the dorms, it was pretty deserted. My flight wasn't until Saturday and Rick too wasn't leaving until Saturday, so we took a walk around town. We stopped by The Leechpit which is a really neat vintage store.

I ended up buying an original Beatles "White" album on Apple Records from I believe 1967. It has an original embossed serial number and included the poster and 4 photos of the Beatles. The album is in great shape, looks barely played, though the cover shows some wear.

Here are some random photos I also took around town.

An old typewriter in the ANA library

Then we went over to Hallenback Coins for a few minutes, then back back to the very quiet dorms. I went out to dinner with some friends of mine who moved from Irvine to Colorado Springs - we went back to Famous Steakhouse because it was SO good. I was so exhausted by the end of the night that I couldn't even stay awake long enough to post this report!

So now it's time to go pack, head to the airport and back home. Thank you everyone for taking the time to follow with me along this adventure - my first Summer Seminar has been a truly wonderful experience, and I certainly hope to return next year!
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some more pics of the Tiny Dollar, the winner of the auction was in my class so I was able to shoot it. Great detail in the coin....

Here is where the engraver signed the piece....

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
    WOW Todd, those photos really make that Tiny Hobo POP!

So I'm finally home, got to show my hubby what I'd been up to all week (via all these photos I posted), and now I have to get ready for a coin show tomorrow morning - EEEK! But what a fantastic week it was! Looking forward to seeing some of you in Chicago next month.....
    Charmy, The White Album came out in 1968. These had serial numbers stamped on them with a white embossed "The Beatles". I read that Ringo has #000001 through 000004.

I drove home by way of Canon City and Gunnison, then took a short cut to Lake City and found a dirt road on the map that went through to Silverton. I though would be fun to take. It's called Cinnamon Pass.

It rises to 12,000 ft., all 4-wheel drive - 1st gear type of driving (crawling) most of the way.

It was a great drive, but after it was over, I was a bit relieved I made it without damaging my car.

Here are the pics of Jerry, Charmy, Andy, Bob and Dave in "Lie, Cheat and Steal".

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Thx for sharing.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures... thanks, Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file