Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$8,000 down the drain................

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭
Unbelievable imageA Fool and his $

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How likely is it that you would have this paper roll of coins, and the 2 end coins would be blast white after so many years? That aside, paying around $400 per coin sight unseen??? IMO, buyer has more money than sense.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>THIS SUCKER IS ROLLED TIGHT >>

Indeed!!
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942
    That's an incredible ultra rare opportunity and I missed it.

What are the odds that he could make-up another roll for me?image
  • Options
    Apparently they weren't even all CC minted coins.

Then again he could have asked for references.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's an incredible ultra rare opportunity and I missed it.

What are the odds that he could make-up another roll for me?image >>

I'd bet that he's making up another roll for the next sucker to come along and be "rolled tight," too.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    ouch
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    This must be some big dealer as he has had many of these UNOPENED CC rolls for sale! image And the interesting thing is that NO ONE seems to check the feedback to see that there have not been any 'free lunches'! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unbelievable imageA Fool and his $ >>

Ebay won't protect buyers from obvious scams like this...but last week I was trying to buy one of the .999 silver 1938 original Jefferson Nickel design patterns produced for the Full Step Nickel Club. Ebay ended the auction because these were slabbed by Larry Briggs SEGS, the official grading service of the club.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I reported these with this explanation

to www.ebay.com/ccw

All these and similar items from this seller are misrepresented. There is and never was such a bank. These buyers are paying thousands for coins worth a few hundred expecting a windfall of CC dollars that WILL NOT HAPPEN because the circumstances of the story are MADE UP by the seller.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Some things are so rare, they don't exist.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options

<< <i>This must be some big dealer as he has had many of these UNOPENED CC rolls for sale! image And the interesting thing is that NO ONE seems to check the feedback to see that there have not been any 'free lunches'! image >>

I wonder if the only unhappy buyer was the one who opened his roll.
  • Options

<< <i>I reported these with this explanation

to www.ebay.com/ccw

All these and similar items from this seller are misrepresented. There is and never was such a bank. These buyers are paying thousands for coins worth a few hundred expecting a windfall of CC dollars that WILL NOT HAPPEN because the circumstances of the story are MADE UP by the seller. >>

what would it take [if possible] to compel the seller to return the funds to all of those he hoodwinked? Looks like many thousands.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's an incredible ultra rare opportunity and I missed it.

What are the odds that he could make-up another roll for me?image >>

I'd bet that he's making up another roll for the next sucker to come along and be "rolled tight," too. >>

Besides the money, I would imagine most scammers probably get some sort of perverted delight with a description innuendo such as this.
  • Options
    AND YET some more of them .....

CC Bank roll #2

Number 3 ...
  • Options

<< <i>

Ebay won't protect buyers from obvious scams like this...but last week I was trying to buy one of the .999 silver 1938 original Jefferson Nickel design patterns produced for the Full Step Nickel Club. Ebay ended the auction because these were slabbed by Larry Briggs SEGS, the official grading service of the club. >>

More likely that eBay ended the auction because it was being described as a "certified" coin either in the description or body of the auction, not because Larry Briggs graded it.
    Like it or not, SEGS is not one of eBay's accepted graders.
    I'll leave it to others to debate eBay's policy on TPGs.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can the buyer do a SNAD claim and then do a CC charge back?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.T. Barnum is still chuckling... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wait untill buyer leaves feedback and then alert him to this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>How likely is it that you would have this paper roll of coins, and the 2 end coins would be blast white after so many years? ... >>

Indeed, I have BU rolls of silver coins from the 50's and 60's and the end coins of every roll are toned.
    Please note that his return policy bars buyers from returning an opened roll!
    Unlike others, I can't say for sure that the bank in question never existed but I think this guy's auctions are, to say the least, highly suspect.
  • Options
    Wow, a nuke bid was just placed on this crook
  • Options

<< <i>I reported these with this explanation

to www.ebay.com/ccw

All these and similar items from this seller are misrepresented. There is and never was such a bank. These buyers are paying thousands for coins worth a few hundred expecting a windfall of CC dollars that WILL NOT HAPPEN because the circumstances of the story are MADE UP by the seller. >>

I suppose that you are an authority on bank history of the USA now?
    The Depression caused 100's of banks to close down.
    Just sayin...
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seller, and these ultra rare rolls have been listed on Ebay
    every week for a couple years. Many threads have been generated about these rolls, and
    this guy keeps goin n goin. I think it's time to roll up some commons,
    get me an ink stamp with Carson City State Trust Bank, and part a fool with his money.
    This guy is making a killing every week, and Ebay could care less.

EDIT: Frank that Jefferson piece is really cool. Difficult to locate?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the buyers has purchased several rolls and I sent a message asking if he had opened
    any of them and if so what were the results. This is his response:

Hi Bob,
    I have NOT opened any rolls. Of course, I am very curious of what I might find. But I feel the investment value is secured by not opening them. I know, as a fact of history, the bank failed in 1907. What I am very curious about, is there a possibility there may be an uncirculated 1893-S? Since Nevada borders California, the possibility, I think, exist for there to be an Uncirculated 1893-S, which would be the first of its kind. If so, I could finally retire. Ha! Ha! But if one ever surfaces, it may well be from one of these rolls. These rolls are absolutely beautiful in every way. I hope this answers your question. Jim

- jimd3478
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing that only 1 buyer of a "CC" role has complained. That guy took a $2,000+ hit on their roll and still gave them neutral feedback. I wonder how much that
    bidder would have to lose to give neg. FB? image

I do like the veiled reference to the word "SUCKER" in the last sentence of the description. That's the seller rubbing the buyer's nose in it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Bob, that guy talks about finding an unc 1893S, that's funny.
    More than likely fiilled with 62/63 ish commons,and one 1882CC, not funny image
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>One of the buyers has purchased several rolls and I sent a message asking if he had opened

Hi Bob,
    I have NOT opened any rolls. Of course, I am very curious of what I might find. But I feel the investment value is secured by not opening them. I know, as a fact of history, the bank failed in 1907. What I am very curious about, is there a possibility there may be an uncirculated 1893-S? Since Nevada borders California, the possibility, I think, exist for there to be an Uncirculated 1893-S, which would be the first of its kind. If so, I could finally retire. Ha! Ha! But if one ever surfaces, it may well be from one of these rolls. These rolls are absolutely beautiful in every way. I hope this answers your question. Jim

- jimd3478 >>

I am suspect of jimd3478 having seen them having purchased at least 5+ rolls from one of the sellers of these rolls. Investment? Nobody has any freakin' clue about that particular bank, and I am surprised that these same rolls haven't popped up in dealer circles...and if they have, dealers sure are remaining awfully quiet on the matter. image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then they seem not to read previous feedback:

Neutral: NGC ruled 2 end coins improperly cleaned, no ms64, all ms 60-63, worth $1100 Buyer:
    Member id dartcap
    Apr-20-11 15:01 Feedback conversation
    ULTRA RARE SEALED Morgan Dollar CC State Bank Roll (#250775491901) US $3,251.00 View Item
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ebay won't protect buyers from obvious scams like this...but last week I was trying to buy one of the .999 silver 1938 original Jefferson Nickel design patterns produced for the Full Step Nickel Club. Ebay ended the auction because these were slabbed by Larry Briggs SEGS, the official grading service of the club.

image >>

I was after that one also. I bought 2 sets of them when the FSNC was selling them (does it even exist anymore?), way back when. Went to sell them, and almost couldn't give them away. I'd love to have those 2 sets now.... .999 silver, nice design......
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    <<Neutral: NGC ruled 2 end coins improperly cleaned, no ms64, all ms 60-63, worth $1100 Buyer:>>

Guess he won't be buying anymore ultra rare rolls huh? Ouchie image
  • Options
    Looks this has been going on for awhile .. here is the thread back from 2009 !!!

LINK
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why am i not amazed at how dumb people get when buying things, seems common sense goes bye bye when they think they see a deal and sometimes you snag a nice deal but most times you get taken to the cleaners

this is just one case in many where being foolish is going to come back and bite them hard
  • Options
    <<Looks this has been going on for awhile .. here is the thread back from 2009 !!! >>

Like I said earlier, this guy has been bilking the public,
    every week for at least a couple years.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks this has been going on for awhile .. here is the thread back from 2009 !!! >>

Like I said earlier, this guy has been bilking the public,
    every week for at least a couple years. >>

FYI, the seller, allraritiesllc, has a 2387 / 100% Positive Feedback Score with 5s (4.8-4.9) across the board on DSRs.
  • Options
    Fun to open, didn't find the golden goose though, A++ Buyer: Member id mike123arm12md May-24-11 11:21
    ULTRA RARE SEALED Morgan Dollar CC State Bank Roll (#290561572126) US $3,800.00

This guy was delighted and had fun getting screwed, glued, and tattooed.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fun to open, didn't find the golden goose though, A++ Buyer: Member id mike123arm12md May-24-11 11:21
    ULTRA RARE SEALED Morgan Dollar CC State Bank Roll (#290561572126) US $3,800.00

This guy was delighted and had fun getting screwed, glued, and tattooed. >>

I was just reading that one and thought ALMOST the exact same thing!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Check out the pic of the paper.
    Two vastly different styles of font.
    Does this strike you as odd? The word Dollar, doesn't appear to be of that era.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose that you are an authority on bank history of the USA now?

Sorry, Bobbo, I have a library full of bank directories from the late 19th Century through the first half of the 20th Century and I find no record of a Carson City State Trust Bank.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

<< <i>I suppose that you are an authority on bank history of the USA now?

Sorry, Bobbo, I have a library full of bank directories from the late 19th Century through the first half of the 20th Century and I find no record of a Carson City State Trust Bank. >>

Are you Frank Provasek?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>One of the buyers has purchased several rolls and I sent a message asking if he had opened

Hi Bob,

- jimd3478 >>

The guy you sent the message to is/was in on this scam with the seller...Funny you sent him a message...I looked him up along time ago and he had 100% bid activity with seller and for one transaction left (+) Feedback hours after the auction ended....OOPS, I'm sure his buddy informed him later to at least wait a few days....
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you Frank Provasek?

No, but I have been a collector of National Bank Notes and researcher of bank history for over thirty years and a member of the Board of Governors of the Society Paper Money Collectors for over 15 years (along with numerous other numismatic organizations).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

<< <i>Are you Frank Provasek?
    No, but I have been a collector of National Bank Notes and researcher of bank history for over thirty years and a member of the Board of Governors of the Society Paper Money Collectors for over 15 years (along with numerous other numismatic organizations). >>

Well I'm not questioning your expertise but my initial comment was directed at Frank Provasek, not you.
    I strongly suspect the seller in the auctions in question is not entirely on the up-and-up but before I'd go slinging complaints to eBay, I'd make darn sure I knew what I was talking about.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you Frank Provasek?
    No, but I have been a collector of National Bank Notes and researcher of bank history for over thirty years and a member of the Board of Governors of the Society Paper Money Collectors for over 15 years (along with numerous other numismatic organizations). >>

Well I'm not questioning your expertise but my initial comment was directed at Frank Provasek, not you.
    I strongly suspect the seller in the auctions in question is not entirely on the up-and-up but before I'd go slinging complaints to eBay, I'd make darn sure I knew what I was talking about. >>

No idea how long you've been monitoring the forums, but these "bank" wrapped rolls have been discussed before and it was determined long ago that this "bank" did not exist. You may want to search for it. Frank probably remembers from the discussion long ago. A seller of these rolls even came on these forums to discuss where she had allegedly acquired them.

TMI on these rolls has already rolled over. Nobody is really that (on these forums) oblivious to the nature of these auctions on ebay regarding these bank wrapped rolls. ha ha!
  • Options
    Unfortunately the only way to be TOTALLY sure of what he is selling is to actually buy 1....

Now i know this next comment will bring some interesting responses ....

If you all want to know what he is doing lets just get a group of forum members together and buy 1 .... Hell 10 guys 200 a piece or so ... we open the coin roll at the LB show together and see whats in it ... Everyone draw a number for which coin from the top they get ... or get them graded and send them to a auction

I would join such a venture and don't think a couple hundred bucks per person would kill any of us .

Before you call me every idiot name in the book it was just a suggestion
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The words and design on the paper look like they've been printed with a modern color laser printer.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

why did you not contact the club, last I knew they still had them.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Check out the pic of the paper.
    Two vastly different styles of font. >>

Britannic Bold and Old English Text MT, to be exact.
  • Options

<< <i>what would it take [if possible] to compel the seller to return the funds to all of those he hoodwinked? Looks like many thousands. >>

A class action suit, maybe.
  • Options
    Now it gets more interesting .. the top bidder on this item basically have never bid on anything else ?? but yet this is at 4K ... This has one of those SHAMMY smells trying to get someone to bite
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file