Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's Portland EAC CONVENTION Show Report w/Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Even though I've been an EAC member for a few years, this is the first EAC Convention I've attended. I really love the Portland area, it's so green and beautiful, and this show is in the same facility as the PNNA Portland show, and I happen to have my exact same table as that show.

I arrived here Thursday afternoon and my buddy Ron picked me up at the airport and we drove straight to the show. We arrived a little early so we had lunch at the Doubletree, then set up my table. My nighbor brought some local wine and was gracious enough to share it with us. Then the EAC had a wonderful reception following set up, so we enjoyed a few snacks and more tasty wine.

Quarternut was also at the reception

This is my buddy Ron

This is my other buddy Mark

Following the reception they held some programs called "Happenings" that I understand to be a sort of show and tell for specific coins, but not being familiar with this event, I had already made other plans so I wasn't able to attend.

This morning I took a few photos from the car on the way in (can't understand why photos taken with my cell phone from a car come out more clearly than photos taken of someone standing still right in from of me!).

Portland has this tram that goes over the freeway connecting a parking lot with the hospital!

My buddy Ron had a large group of beautiful Indian cents he was selling from his personal collection, which of course I couldn't pass up. I ended up buying this whole pile of Indian cents, many of which were in rattler and old green holders. All were pristine MS64/MS65 RB and RED! This alone made the trip up here welll worth it!

A few forum members stopped by, some of whom were gracious enough to let me take their photo and post it here!:

Moldnut

ColoradoCoinGuy

Tomorrow night is the big much-anticipated EAC auction - heres a photo of auction lot viewing:

Here are some photos of the bourse taken this morning:

Doug Byrd's table right across from me:

And ......me......

Not sure yet what we're doing tonight, the EAC has a dinner but I hadn't signed up for it. I'll have to make some inquiries!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang girl, those rattlers look sweet!
  • Options
    I always get nervous when I see a pile of slabbed coins as I think, "Oh, no! More scratches on the slabs!" And, those are coins I wouldn't want to have to re-holder.

Very enjoyable report. Thanks for sharing.
    Cell phone cameras and your regular camera have different F stop settings- the cell phone camera being more forgiving of movement...)
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ColoradoCoinGuy
    image >>

If you see him again, say Hi to this guy for me!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Nice Overview. Thanks.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>If you see him again, say Hi to this guy for me! >>

Lee, Mark said "hi" back and said he would post a reply soon!
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    Oh Boy!A new "Charmy Report"! I wish I was in Portland!image
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭
    Love those show reports! Next best thing to being there!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I must first say that this EAC show is great. No, you didn't need to join and you didn't even have to pay to attend this show. All the dealers were friendly and willing to speak to you. As always, Charmy was great! I had some long conversations about early copper with Shawn Yancey and a little chit-chat with John Agre about other things too.
    I was able to purchase two 1794 cents, one ICG G4 and a raw G6/AG3 from Shawn. Good thing he takes checks because I would have burned through my cash within the first hour! That was my first lesson in early copper, these things can get pricey real quick.
    Steve Tompkins also made a very informative presentation on counterfeit bust coins.This was very cool because at the end of the presentation, we were able to look at, in hand, all the counterfeit coins Steve used in his presentation. And yes Stone, he even had a counterfeit dime.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Thanks again for the show report and photos, Charmy.

EAC'ers are the coolest, and early copper rocks!!

Been a member of EAC since 1984, and although
    Portland is a bit too far for a right coaster to
    attend, it's great to see your pictures. It's the next
    best thing to being there.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Nice as always Charmy!

rockon

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report - really hate missing the show since it's so close to home, but SOME one has to work. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice report - really hate missing the show since it's so close to home, but SOME one has to work. image >>

Likely story.image
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    And I thought silver dollar folks were strange looking...
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am Jealous!

Looks like a beautiful day in Portland.

I spent my day moving my Library to my new office.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    A big ol' "thank you" as always for the report and the pics.

The pics look great by the way Charmy. Who took them? imageimage

Mike
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice report - really hate missing the show since it's so close to home, but SOME one has to work. image >>

Didn't I see you on the lake today, in a boat, holding a beer? That wasn't "working" image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>I am Jealous!

I spent my day moving my Library to my new office. >>

It was, but tomorrow will be rain again.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am Jealous!

It was, but tomorrow will be rain again. >>

Huh??

Rain in the Great NorthWest?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, Charmy. I agree, Portland is a great area. My brother used to live down there; I spent a lot of time in the area.

Fun town (for Oregon image)

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report! I'm hoping to attend tomorrow... I'll be sure to stop by and say hello.
  • Options
    photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    My only critique...

The tram doesn't go from a parking lot to the hospital. image

OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University) ran out of room on the hill (Marquam Hill, AKA Pill Hill) and had to put in offices and a rehab center down in the new waterfront district (South Waterfront, to be specific) but they needed a way to transport students and doctors and the occasional patient from the Waterfront to the main campus. There is NO easy way to get from the bottom to the top - so they built the aerial tram! I live in the Bermuda-Triangle-esque neighborhood beneath the tram, actually, and I was probably on my porch admiring Mt. Hood when you drove up I-5 and took those photos. That concludes this part of the boring Portland explanation. image

I went on the Silver Falls hike led by Jerry Bobbe on Wednesday, and then went into the Gorge yesterday after food-carting with a few friends, the weather today was unbelievable; looking forward to a lecture tomorrow and some more nerding! It's been so much fun showing off Portland and the surrounds and enjoying waaaaaay too much good food with great company. I'm already looking forward to some familiar faces returning to Portland for PNNA in October!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I am Jealous!

It was, but tomorrow will be rain again. >>

Huh??

Rain in the Great NorthWest?? image >>

You have no idea - we have had the wettest 24 month's on record. We have our annual rainfall for the water year 2011 already in the books plus 10% and it is May. We are still getting snow on the 20' we have in the mountains. In my 42 years, we have never had a colder or wetter spring than this one, and last year set the previous records. We still have yet to have a full week where the high temp on all days has been above 60. We set the record for the latest day to reach 60 and beat it by 10 days. Really, it has been much like feb. all spring - I really hope we don't have another Juneuary like last year.
  • Options
    Everyone I've spoken to who lives in this area has said how cold and rainy it's been up here so I'm very grateful that all you locals were kind enough to make me feel welcome by providing me with the type of beautiful sunny weather I am accustomed to in SoCal. Thank you so much from this very spoiled warm weather gal! imageimage
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun Charmy, thanks for the pics and report... and I spy a nice looking 1908-S IHC in that pile image Of course, I'd have to polish the heck out of the slab now that it's been scratched up in that pile image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy.... Please have some great Cabernet tonight and give a full report tomorrow.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Yesterday was pretty busy at the show. They had several seminars throughout the day, so people were in and out, with the crown ebbing and flowing. I sold a beautiful PCGS AU55 1877 Indian cent that I had bought raw in Tukwila and sent to PCGS for grading. I also sold several neat cuds, retained cuts, shattered dies and clipped planchet Indian cents to a customer who has an amazing collection of these types of Indian cents.

We went to dinner at PF Changs, one of my favorite restaurants on the planet, then headed home early so I could work up all my nep Indian cents to ship off to Todd for photographing.

This morning was another pretty nice day here in Oregon, sun shining, no rain, a little cool, but very nice - I sincerely do appreciate having mild climate during my time here in Oregon! Here are a few shots i took this morning on the way to the show.

Today the show part of this convention has been a little slow and more sparsely attended than yesterday. So i was able to get away and attend a very interesting talk given by our own John Kraljevich (even though I have a similar sounding Polish maiden name, I still always have to look up how to spell his name!). His talk had a very intriguing title: "The Taste of Dogmeat: Lewis and Clark in the Pacific Northwest." (As many of you U.S. history buffs already know, Lewis and Clark subsisted on salmon and dog meat during their time in the Pacific Northwest before heading back home.) John is an amazing young man and very entertaining to listen to - I don't think there is a question you could ask him relating to history that he couldn't answer. (Sorry, most of the photos I took caught John while he was blinking!)

While I write this, I'm having some nice Wild Horse cab along with my fav Ritz crackers . Then tonight I'm headed to dinner with another good client/buddy, then it will be off to the highight of the entire convention - the auction! So I'll report back tomorrow hopefully with some photos from the auction.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kraljevich (even though I have a similar sounding Polish maiden name, I still always have to look up how to spell his name!)

Croatian. I believe his mom's family came here on the Mayflower.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok Oregonians, when in the last three years did they change the Made in Oregon sign to "Portland, Oregon"????
  • Options
    The "Made in Oregon" sign has been quite the controversy! Years ago it was "White Stag" which was a pantyhose brand, if I recall correctly, hence the "deer" on the sign (they put a red nose on him for Christmas). The chain store "Made in Oregon" bought the rights quite some time ago, and that's what the sign said until their lease on the sign ran out recently. The University of Oregon actually owns the building the sign is sitting on, but the sign is actually the property of the city and they lease it out to others (but the city remains responsible for maintaining it at some odd cost like 22k a year for electricity and bulbs). There was a HUGE public fight about the U of O wanting to change the sign to "University of Oregon" or a giant green O for the Ducks - most Portlanders HATED the idea (me included). Somehow the city managed to come up with the funding and solution to change the sign to simply, "Portland Oregon" much to the dismay of Ducks fans everywhere, and the sign changed just in the last 5 months or so. I think we're all pretty happy with it.
  • Options
    Oh, and in the last "on the road" photo above you can see OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) and just in front of the museum you can make out a nuclear submarine - the USS Blueback, which starred in Hunt for Red October.
  • Options
    Wine, I want to hear about the wines? and food??
  • Options
    The food here is AMAZING! I am sad to hear Charmy opted for a chain restaurant when we have some of the finest local, organic, seasonal foods you could imagine! She missed out.

Asparagus is in season, and strawberries are just starting. I took a few folks to a burger joint tonight for tiny burgers and fries with sea salt and white truffle oil and ketchup made right here in Portland by the owner of the restaurant. We went to Mother's last night (owned by famed chef Lisa Schroeder) and about died in heaven - strawberry and mesclun greens salads with almonds and goat cheese, fork-tender pot roast, meat loaf, chicken and dumplings in a piece of crockery the size of a stock-pot. We've been food-carting and had everything from Nuevo Mexican food made by Jesse Sandoval, the former drummer of The Shins, to fried pies (mine had coconut custard and chocolate chips). We've had breakfast at Pine State Biscuits, where we had biscuits smothered in gravy, with egg, fried chicken, bacon, and Tillamook cheese with mason jars of sweet tea on the side - a few people are going to need elastic waistbands for the flights home. And yes, there was a big pink box of Voodoo Doughnuts inhaled at about 11pm Tuesday night.

We haven't done any wine tasting and I didn't bring anyone to any distilleries, but we have done some local beers. One more adventure tomorrow at the coast, though, so who knows what we'll scare up!
  • Options
    Sounds wonderful, I just had my first strawberry bud 2 days ago in the garden. It is gonna be a great spring/summer for growing in S. Texas along with the BBQ!
  • Options
    Sorry about the boring food report, but I have to "blame" my host/chauffer who lives in the Lake Oswego area for not taking me out to local restaurants because he didn't want to have drinks too far from home, so we opted for restaurants near his home which had less of a selection.

However, tonight I went with some other people to a wonderful seafood place (Harbor Seafood I think) right within walking distance of the show so we could get back in time for the auction. We had a great bottle of pinot and parmesean crusted halibut with grilled asparagus - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Then we walked back over to the auction. I didn't stay through the entire session, which is probably still going on, but it was quite entertaining with some beautiful pieces going for strong prices. Even the restrikes and old copies were bringing pretty strong money. It will be interesting to see the prices realized.
  • Options
    Well, a Pinot, of the proper vintage, can be entertaining. Somehow though, for my taste, nothing satisfies like a full bodied Cabernet.. However, like coins, tastes vary. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Another very enjoyable "Charmy Report" with great pics. imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    Nice report. I've never seen someone fall asleep during their OWN lecture. image

Didn't even notice the stag sign had changed - thanks for that. The tram connects the OHSU building on the river (shown next to the tram) with the main campus up on Terwilligar, not just a parking lot. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the show was a great time for all. I am sorry I was not able to go...Thanks for the report Charmy!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    This is the first show report I've ever read that made me hungry while reading it.
    "Gem EOR toners are tangible evidence that the Eighth Dimension does indeed exist."
    ---Ambrose Bierce, while attending a Heritage Auction at the 1907 Long Beach show
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    It was a blast out there, though I regret not having the opportunity to wax Lakesammman on a local golf course.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, a Pinot, of the proper vintage, can be entertaining. Somehow though, for my taste, nothing satisfies like a full bodied Cabernet.. However, like coins, tastes vary. Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, I forgot to mention that during the afternoon of the show yesterday, we opened a very nice Wild Horse cab - it was full bodied and quite tasty - I'm eagerly hoping that you will approve of that choice!

I went to the auction last night just to observe and took a couple photos but I'm not able to upload them right now, so I'll post them later this evening. I did notice that McCauley was bidding (and winning) up a storm - it seemed he had his bidder number up on every other lot! Being new to an EAC auction, what I found very interesting was the number of electroplate (sp?) copies and restrikes in the auction that were selling for what I considered strong money - but what do I know?

Today was what I call a "nothing" day: no public and no sales, just mostly people coming in to pick up their auction lots, and dealers packing up and leaving. However, my buddy did pick up a very pretty 1903 1$ gold piece PCGS MS64 in an old green holder from "the Colonel" that he is very pleased with.

All I did was finish entering all the new slabbed Indian cents I bought into my inventory sheet, then packaged them up so my buddy could ship them off to Todd tomorrow for photographing. After that was done, we packed up my table and headed to the airport. Now I'm here at an typical airport bar a couple hours early, so I changed it up a bit and am having a very yummy White Russian (or two) for my customary pre-flight beverage while watching the Memphis/Oklahoma playoffs.

As usual, I can't wait to get home to my sweet hubby. But I won't be home long since I'm headed to the PCGS Las Vegas show on Wednesday - whaaa whoooooo!
  • Options
    Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention - it's RAINING here in Portland! image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention - it's RAINING here in Portland! image >>

Now there's a surprise. lol

Any 1909 rattlers?
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was a blast out there, though I regret not having the opportunity to wax Lakesammman on a local golf course. >>

Gee John, if I would have known, I could have given you the same opportunity and we could have played Sat...image

BTW...It poured down rain on me all the way back to Seattle Sat. evening and it has been raining all day today... image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options

<< <i>Any 1909 rattlers? >>

Nope, no 1909 rattler, only a pretty one in an old green holder.
  • Options
    John, we'll just have to bring clubs to Chicago in August - what part of me do you want to wax?? image
  • Options
    So here are my final photos from the Portland EAC Convention. Here's one I took from the back of the room at the auction last night. The auctioneer was a hoot (don't recall his name), but he kept the lots moving and he was quite entertaining.

I took this on our way home after the auction - Portland at night....

I forgot to mention the great local diner we went to several times for breakfast in the Lake Oswego area - Miller's has an amazing avocado eggs benedict!

After two beautiful sunny days in Portland, here's what I left behind - I took this last photo as we approached the airport.

My hubby told me it poured pretty hard this morning here in SoCal but when I arrived home, it was absolutely the beautiful sunny SoCal I know and love! Boy, is it good to be home!
  • Options
    Charmy, the Wild Horse Cabernet is a great wine. I have had it on several occasions when I lived in the Northwest. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show report Charmy, as usual. I drove to the show from the Seattle area on Saturday, talked to forum members GAB, Mozin, and Quarternut. I met some well known EAC members for the first time, this was my first EAC/JRCS convention after being a member for a few years.

The educational forum was fantastic. John K gave an excellent presentation on Lewis & Clark, I will have to give dogmeat a try image. Rob Matuska's presentation on planchet errors was great, he is a metallurgist who applied what he has learned in the metals industry to coins, including a process flow from melting and refining, assaying, annealing, etc. Engineering talk is great fun for the die variety nuts. No new coins for me, but had a good time.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file