Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A trip across the street......

AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
Several weeks ago I had the privilege of assisting one of my clients to get his NGC number one rated full Morgan Set, pedigreed by NGC. The collector, one of my team members and I all flew to NGC to see the results of the Executive Review and what all 105 coins in the set looked like laid out on the table in new holders. Here we were at NGC headquarters staring at a set in the seven figures and all feeling pretty smug about the whole experience.
Soon we were joined by Mark Salzberg and he personally whet through the collection with us and fielded questions about why some things we had hoped would upgrade did not, while others did. It was quite the education. Here were five full grown mean sitting around a table talking about this collection and after a while I had to ask Mark Salzberg about his collecting habits. Well it was not long after that he offered to share his “strange” collection (His words not mine).
He disappeared for a few minutes and returned with a slab box. And within minutes of opening that box we got to see and hold some once-in-lifetime opportunities. Now we looked at about 20 coins but the four I wrote down that especially moved me were the following:

Ultra high relief 1907 G$20 Saint in PF 68. I could not stop starring at this small piece of artwork in my hand. This piece gave new meaning to the whole concept of relief and was superb in finish and quality. A real eye-popper.

The next coin that riveted me to my seat was the 1803 S$1 in Proof 66 CAM. Talk about reflective surfaces. This coin looked like it was minted yesterday.

The following coin was one of his favorites. To use his words “This coin has everything you could every want to see in an original high-end piece.” And out he pulled a RAW 1877-S Trade dollar that was majestically toned. I graded the coin at MS69, but it was refreshing to hear about the head of NGC not needed to have a coin this magnificent in a holder. He loved the coin for the look, and rightly so as he was true to his words.

Another coin that caused me to pinch myself was an 1854 $20 Kellogg Gold Piece. This coin was graded SP69 and was an Ex-Humbert and Garrett pedigree. This was a coin that you seldom see at any price and I spent a good long time taking in every detail.

And just when we thought the day could not get any better, we were invited to tag along with Scott Schechter and see behind the walls of Camelot. We saw the receiving room, the vault (from the outside), the grading room and the slabbing room. What floored me the most was when we walked into the grading room and Mark Salzberg was heads down grading coins! There were mountains of Modern Hockey Pucks, crates of ASE’s, Morgan’s and countless other treasures moving left to right on the grading tables. We saw the imaging room where they shoot photos of EVERY coin they grade 4 at a time in this amazing cross between camera, copy stand and computer.
In all it was a great day to be a coin dealer, and a great treat as a collector.

Wish you could have all seen it.

I am the guy in the Hawaiian Shirt, the owner of the set in on the left, and my associate in on my right.

Edited to add Photo.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wish you could have all seen it. >>

your report made me feel as if I did see it. Great job! Of course some pics would be even better! image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Too bad it wasn't pedigreed by PCGS! image

David Hall used to have a nice set of $10 Liberty gold... now his box of 20 includes dateless Buffalo nickels, a couple 1943 steelies, a nice original skin'ed Statehood quarter, a Sac and a couple coins from Costa Rica! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool but did you see any Jeffersons. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great experience and story!

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing Experience!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I believe TDN has mentioned that 77-S on occasion...

That's one helluva box of 20...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice write up and wish I could have shared in your excitement!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great report Mr. Sperber! >>

imageimageimageimage

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark is a class act............Thank you for sharing that wonderful story. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imagereport.

Thanks.image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I was almost waiting for derryb to post "DYNO-MYTE"

Great story, rubbing elbows with the big dogs.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    A great story, well told!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    did you take any pictures! Would love to see pictures of the coins you described!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a treat to have seen such rare coins image

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Way cool! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Great post.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting... thanks for sharing... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like it was a great time.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    I had a similar experience about 10 years ago when NGC was in New Jersey. Saw Mark's private collection at that time. It included several fantastic Morgan dollars that were not graded, all of which in my opinion were 68+*'s. I also saw the trade dollar. It to was beautiful but Gregg Bingham's would overwhelm it. Wish they both could be viewed side by side at a major show.
    commeman
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the story. Sounds like fun.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe TDN has mentioned that 77-S on occasion...

That's one helluva box of 20... >>

Yup, have definitely heard about it, but have yet to see it. Comeon, Mark - post a pic! image

Monsterman has a trade dollar? Must be a proof...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>

Yup, have definitely heard about it, but have yet to see it. Comeon, Mark - post a pic! image

Monsterman has a trade dollar? Must be a proof... >>

I believe Gregg sold it. I'm pretty sure Todd imaged it. It was pretty sick. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photo Added
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file