Home U.S. Coin Forum

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's PNNA Seattle/Tukwila Show Report (w/photos)!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me start out by saying, in case you didn't already know, that as beautiful and pristine as Seattle (and the surrounding area) is, Seattle is VERY COLD!!!!! It's even colder than Baltimore was, but this SoCal gal is a huge cold WIMP! As much as I love trees and mountain beauty, I still much prefer the 120 degree Havasu-desert-boating-on-a beautiful-cool-lake climate over this 30-degree-frost-covered-scraping-windshields-frosty-breath coldness! It didn't help that my table is set up right next to the huge open door loading area which made it feel like I was sitting outside. OK, enough whining, now on to show stuff.

As I mentioned on the other PNNA thread, my brother Paul lives here (he too was born and raised in SoCal so I don't know how he ever acclimated to the Seattle climate, but he does love it here). Any way, right after I arrived here in Seattle, Paul (who works for Expedia) took me to Frys to help me pick out what I call my new "show" notebook - it's a 10" laptop that I will take to shows instead of my regular laptop which will stay at home safe and sound. Yes, I also back up my laptop up but I feel safer having a separate travel notebook that doesn't contain everything my home laptop does but still has the the things I use on the road, and of course all my coin photos! I thought about getting an iPad-type device but just couldn't get used to the virtual keyboard that I would need to input information on my Excel inventory, so I went with the tiny Dell notebook. My brother is setting it up for me - yippee!

So I arrived at the show pretty early since Paul had a meeting at work and dropped me off around 7am. Set up went smoothly (except of course for it being 20 degrees below zero - I had to keep wrapping my hands around my lamps to keep warm, ok, sorry for the whining...). Then I did some quick shopping. I bought some more beautiful Conder tokens for my collection (including another white metal Conder - a Red Lion Inn), as well as several nice better date Indians for inventory, AND a beautiful AU 1877 Indian cent!

The show opened at noon - I took a couple photos of what the bourse looked like about 2 hours into the show

Several forum members stopped by and I actually remembered to take some of their pictures (a couple I had to ask pretty please!).

lil ol me

A usual suspect - Glen/PonyExpress

A fellow Bob Dylan fan - Dennis88

Our show's guest speaker - John/Pistareen

Jeremy/Airplanenut

Quarternut

Seattleslammer

Jeff

Jerry Bobby

I'm headed out to dinner with my brother and his girlfriend, so gotta wrap this up - more tomorrow!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Jeremy have you gained a ½lb. since I last saw you in person??? image

Charmy, you are doing God's numismatic works as usual!!! image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice talkin' briefly with you Charmy!.....it was a fun show to attend. Charmy doesn't mess around with the camera........."hello, can I take your (SNAP) pic?".....wham bam thank you ma'am! image

I sold a number of coins and bought a few, too, including a pretty deep toned Oregon commem and a blazin' MS66RD VDB with a pretty green tint....both in OGHs.

Eugene Bruder had a 16-D in MS66FB (!) with nice original toning and in an OGH......67k!......top pop?.......amazing coin.

There seemed to be good energy on the bourse.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard the sun actually came out today! 1st time in 40 days!

I wish I was there, but I have been way too busy selling my Baltimore beauties.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report! I wish I could find some time to visit this weekend but its not going to pan out. I do, however, have to defend the fine city of Seattle and point out that today was the nicest weather we've seen here in Seattle in the last ~35 days. A day of sun is rare in these parts this time of the year....Mt Rainier even came out to make an appearance today.

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Cool !!!!
    Seattle is one of the most beautiful " DownTowns " in the USA. Almost moved here once.....if you have time, be sure to visit Pike Street Market and the place where they throw he fish !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great trip report as usual. That's a nice looking 1877 cent that you bought. I assume you are an expert at authenticating this issue.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all enjoy hearing from you, Charmy, thanks for the report
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the nice warm weather there! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lived in Seattle for a short time in the late 90's. It's a great city! Have a good show and thanks for the reports.

(BTW, if you hear someone whining about Super Bowl XL (the one 5 years ago), tell Ron/Bochiman that RYK says hello. image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i haven't been to a show in a while, but two hours in that place looks like ghosttown. is that typical or just a poor showing in a worse locale??
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report Charmy!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy. It was indeed a beautiful day. Driving to the Motel after the show we were delighted to see Mt. Rainer in all it's glory in the waning light of the day.

Keets, the show hours Friday (yesterday) were Noon to 7 with dealer set up in the morning. For the size there was more traffic on the bourse here then at Baltimore last week for it's half day keeping size in perspective, 60 dealers vs. about 400 actually set up. Picking one moment in time is a bit misleading. Throughout the afternoon traffic was pretty steady at the table and we were showing coins, looking at coins or talking to a customer pretty much non-stop all afternoon. That wasn't the case last weekend despite reports to the contrary. So actual traffic and how active you are the table throughout the day is a more accurate way to measure the feel of a show then a snap shot at one moment in time.

Had a good night's sleep and feel rested finally. Looking forward to a fun Saturday today.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    I lived in Seattle from 1993 to 2000. Met my wife there. However, after living in Tucson prior to moving there I knew what I was missing. The long grey periods really got to me. I moved back to the sun capitol of the country in 2000. Late summer is beautiful though. I have many friends from there. I'll have to think about going next time.

I wonder if the beautiful weather will keep people away?

I once drove all the way out to the Eastern side of the Cascades just to see some sunshine!
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see Pistareen made it. And APN.

Our country is too big, this would have been a fun show to attend. We need APN to make faster planes image
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, I got a pm about my poor quality photos - I do apologize, I know some are blurry, but I take them rather quickly and don't want to make people stand around while I re-take them, so thank you for enduring my lack of photographic skills - I'll try to hold my hand more steady - if only my camera phone will comply!

And I agree with Glen/PonyExpress about the bourse floor. It was indeed full and steady most of the afternoon. I understand this show has been going on in this location for years, and every coin person in the area knows it. So don't judge a show by just one photo taken at a particular minute - I take photos of the bourse when I have time and it's usually when things slow down a little. All shows ebb and flow - and for a half day of public, yesterday was flowing very well!

I understand that it was actually colder yesterday because the clouds were gone - which is a good thing around here. It was a really beautiful day and when we drove home, I too could see Mt. Rainier so clearly, it was quite spectacular! I guess I just take the sunshine for granted. Here's a picture I took from the car - even though it's in the distance, you can see how pretty Mt. Rainier is.

Perry, if I don't know how to authenticate an 1877 by now, I might as well fold up my penny banner and go home!

Rick, I too was buried after Baltimore (not to mention extremely tired), but I get free room and board here in Seattle, and the people are really wonderful, and Scott and Lisa and the rest of the PNNA folks put on a good show, so I just couldn't miss it! image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I lived in Seattle for a short time in the late 90's. It's a great city! Have a good show and thanks for the reports.

(BTW, if you hear someone whining about Super Bowl XL (the one 5 years ago), tell Ron/Bochiman that RYK says hello. image >>

imageimage

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    I couldn't make it to the show due to work image

FWIW, yesterday was just about the first nice day we have had in about a month. It has been a piss-poor spring, even by Seattle standards. I have lived here forever and even I am starting to hate the weather!!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I got a pm about my poor quality photos - I do apologize >>

Hey! Can you do anything about that free, plentiful parking in the wooded parking lot Charmy?
    When I got home I had to wash all the dogwood blossoms off my vehicle.
    Sheesh.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report Charmy.... I really liked that show each year. I lived there from 1989 through 2008, and made most of those shows. If you see Ron (Bochiman) today.. say hey.... and also Russ... he should be there as well. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
    My brother lives in Maple Valley right near the Green River (yes, THAT Green River), so I took a couple photos from the car as we drove along the river to show how pretty the area is. As you can see, it is back to being cloudy, but still very very pretty.

And here is the street that the coin show is on - also right on the Green River.

Bochiman stopped by already, with his cute little boy and his son's friend. It's just after 11am and the show is quite crowded. I'll try and take a photo for Keets' sake!

• LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Nice report Charmy. Yes it is a bit chilly here but if you ever want to get away from professional sports its a great place to live image
    imageMAO...... Good one RYK..... still laughing.... Cheers, RickO
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Enjoyable report. Why was the show held in a prison? Extra security, or....?
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again another cool report PL...Was just down that way a week before the show in the Cascades and had mud slide detours... image
    But at least they have some green grass compared to our still very white...
    Cool to put faces to the dudes... image

ABimage
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy your show reports and the pics Charmy. ALL of the pics. image

Mike
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice photos!

image >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerds with money. Perfect description!
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nerds with money. Perfect description! >>

Thats why I went yesterday! LMAO

Although I may be going back today.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nerds with money. Perfect description! >>

Hey! I resemble that remark! image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

RYK, that's hilarious! I showed it to a couple people here and they howled!

Today has been another incredibly busy day. It's just now (4pm) starting to thin out. I've had some great sales, including a beautiful 1955/55 PCGS MS64 and two 1909-S Indian cents. Other than a few rolls rolls of lower end Indian and wheat cents, I haven't bought anything, though I haven't had a chance to walk the floor at all yet.

Keets: Here are some shots of the bourse taken around 11am - this is what it looked like yesterday too!

I had the pleasure of chatting with several more forum members who stopped by today. Bochiman and Swampboy hung out with me for a little while, and I was honored to have my photo taken with Laksamman and Bochiman! (It's a little blurry but my neighbor took it, so it's not only me that is photo inept!)

High Relief and his pretty wife also stopped by, and they even brought me TWO bottles of tasty Washington wine (what sweathearts they are!) - I can't wait to have some!

BillyGoat

Dave99

Tonight I'm off to dinner with Paul and Vicki and a couple of their friends too and I'm looking forward to having some of High Relief's wine! I'll be here all day tomorrow too, so be sure to stop by if you make it to the show!
    I had fun with my son doing the treasure hunt and he brought a classmate-friend along with him to do it. So, 2 nine year olds were running wild (luckily the friend's father was with us, so he did the majority of the shepherding while I tried to look at coins and talk to folks image ).

Was great hanging out with Charmy....charming as always. Too bad I was too young to drink any of the wine image
    Swampboy and Lakesamman had some cool pick ups and I kept, literally, bumping into them on the bourse over the course of the afternoon.

For the traffic at the show, well, we got there just after it opened (about 15 minutes) and there was NO parking in the lot (and it's a good sized lot) at all! I had to park down the street aways.
    Getting into the show and it was bumper to bumper in the aisles as well. So, when Charmy takes pictures of the bourse, she can only do it doing the few down moments....most of the time, it was pretty busy. Don't go by a picture for traffic....go by what the folks attending the show tell you.

I picked up a few small album stuffers, but didn't find anything that fit the needs in our collections otherwise image Still, a good show and glad I went. Talking to the folks I did (Glenn/PonyExpress8, Dennis88, Swampboy, Charmy, Lakesamman, Pistareen/JohnK and anyone else I regrettably may have forgotten at the moment more than made the drive to the show worth it!)

And, blurry pictures??? Please! It's a cellphone taking a shot of moving targets (even people trying to stand still still breathe and move a little)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Love those reports and photos, Charmy!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy:

Great to see you at the show. Nice 1877!

Fun to see Bochiman, Swampguy and Pistareen who gave a great talk today - fact filled and nary a word slide. image

Bought a few fun things that went along with the CRO hats Bochiman and I were wearing - pictures to follow, perhaps tomorrow, to include a little wampum from JK. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show! Very busy too - I had to make 4 or 5 trips around the floor before I could get to every table; many tables were 2+ people deep.

Very nice to meet Charmy; even snagged one of her nice 1/2 cents. Charmy really has a AWESOME display of early copper. Amazing. She's a sweetheart, too! image

Also met Glenn and Dennis88 for the first time; very fun! Glenn showed me a neat 1901-s VF quarter, slabbed as 'cleaned'. I've seen worse quarters in regular PCGS and NGC holders. I left with his VF20 1899-s PCGS half. Nice doing biz with you, Glenn. I'll keep an eye on your website in the future.

Overall, well worth the 45 minutes drive.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    Charmy...I hope your experience in Seattle doesn't sway you from attending next Januarys Calais Maine Outdoor Coin Show...if you don't count wind chill,it should stay above zero degrees image
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! it was great seeing you again in the Great North Wet Charmy.

Good show and I had fun meeting and talking to a few members for the first time; PonyExpress8, Lakesammman, Pistareen, and Dennis88 who I also did a deal with.image

The highlight of the Show for me had to be JK's awesome lecture Before 54'40" : Numismatics of the Early Northwest". Thank you PNNA and JK for arranging that.

Here's a quick cell phone shot I took (with permission image ) of an interesting item on display.

A very pleasant dealer named Pam said she aquired this purse and the ancient bronze coins you can see here spilling out of it in an old collection she purchased.

Safe home to everyone.

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    A great show is capped off by the last bit of wine here in Tukwila. Cheers Charmy! image

Met a lot of board members and had an awesome show and from what I hear on the bourse everyone was very happy and did well. Charmy will do a more thorough wrap up post post show. She is on her way back on the big bird.

Thanks from me to everyone who stopped by. I enjoyed seeing each and every one of you.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Looks like a fun show. Glad everyone had fun.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    very Berry nice Charmy

thanks for the share once again! image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    great report and as always, love the pics
    Wow! What a show! I'm exhausted... Glen, Dennis and I managed to finish off one of the bottles of wine that HighRelief brought, it was yummy and just what we needed to end the day and the show. Now I'm sitting once again at an airport bar (deja vu!) Listening to a great B52s song! But I packed my internet tether in my checked bag so I'm posting this from my Blackberry so it will be short.

My show started out with a bang when I sold a beautiful raw 1864 bronze proof, and ended with another bang when I sold my 1873 S-1 double Liberty Indian cent! I was glad to see both of these great coins go to good homes. As I already mentioned, the show was steadily active and went by so fast. There were a lot of passionate coin people in the Pacific NW and I am grateful to have met many new ones and chatted with familiar ones too.

I spent the last hour of the show mostly socializing with Matt BillyGoat, Glen, and Dennis88. Then I coerced kindly Matt into helping me pack up! He was awfully gracious to assist especially when all I did was sort of hand him a box and showed him where to start! If only Todd could be so easily and amicably coerced. image

Any way, I better go check my gate, can't wait to get back home again!
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, good to see that you enjoyed the Washington wines along with Glenn. I really enjoyed talking coins with you and thank you so very much for the great deal on the 1893 Red Indian.

See you next time image
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Nice meeting you all this weekendimage

It was a good show. I sold some coins, bought a few (although not too much as the supply of good coins I liked quickly thinned out) and had some interesting conversations.

I've began to like these small to mid size shows across the western states. While they are often the same dealers the interaction with the public is very enjoyable. So many people looking for so many different things. As an example, here are some items I got asked about this weekend:

-German Porcelain Notgeld
    -Cuban coins
    -1940 Proof Quarters (3 people on 3 different days)
    -Seated Dollars (if I could only find them...)
    -Chinese Coins (as usual)
    -Russian Coins (as usual)
    -Certain dates of Peace Dollars

And the most interesting comment by a guy who came by today:

"I really like coins that are struck"

He wasn't really a collector but came along with a buddy, so I gave him some explanation of the minting process.

All in all a great show and looking forward to Santa Clara next weekend.

Dennis
    Great wrap-up Charmy.... and some nice wines. Surprised no one saw Russ.... he usually never missed this show. Cheers, RickO
    Rick,

Still getting use to NOT seeing you at the shows....was always good to chat with you.
    For Russ, he must have been out hitting up the garage sales as I looked around a bit (I only went Saturday so he may have gone Friday) and didn't see him.

So on Saturday night, my brother Paul, his girlfriend Vicki, and a couple other friends went to Mizu (sp?) which is a Bennyhana-type restaurant where the chef prepares your food right in front of you. Our chef was quite entertaining, flinging shrimp up in the air towards one of us to catch in our mouth, which my brother was quite good at (you know, the trained seal type thing!) What was really interesting was that he used Vodka to clean the grill surface in between types of food he was grilling!

We then went back to his house, where he continued setting up my new "netbook" (I earlier called it a notebook and was quickly corrected that the term is "netbook" - I told him, "tomato-tomoto, notebook-netbook"!) Any way, this thing is sooooo coooool! It's has everything I was looking for - portability, a keyboard AND a touch pad, powerful speed and big memory, can hold all my files including Excel, and best of all it has a flip screen so you can use it like an iPad! I just LOVE IT!

I mentioned that I bought some great Conder tokens for my collection, so I tried to take some photos with my phone camera - of course they didn't turn out very good, but here are the Conders - the 1 pence D&H Young's Promissory Penny is very beautiful and very rare and the D&H 24 Slough Red Lion Inn is a very cool and rare white metal piece

And here are the rolls of Indian and early Wheats I bought from a little old lady who just wanted to sell them so she wouldn't have to carry them around! I don't usually buy rolls of Wheats since I have so many already, but there were a few some nice early dates, rather than the usual 30's and 40's and they were all original and uncleaned.

By the way, I mentioned earlier that another customer had given me a can of yummy Washington-made Almond Rocha (but since I'm a chocolate addict and try to keep away from such temptations, I decided to bring it home to my hubby who loves these tasty treats. But the can wouldn't fit in my bag (yes, my bags are packed very tightly), I just dumped the foil wrapped pieces in my carry on. However, when the TSA folks decided to do a bag check and remove everything from my bag, all the almond rocha came tumbling out, so they helped me gather them up and put them in a TSA blue rubber glove to help contain them back in my bag!

Now another great coin show has come and gone. This one was unexpectedly fantastic! I mean last year was a really good show but you never know how mid-sized shows will turn out. As with any show, it just depends on what you have and what collectors are looking for. Scott and Lisa Loos and the PNNA group do an extraordinary job putting this show on. They really cater to us dealers, making sure we have what we need, even providing a separate dealer lounge where we can relax, have a cup of coffee, some snacks, etc. before the show begins, as well as throughout the show. And they do a great deal of advertising and offer great little seminars for the collectors during the show. Sometimes everything comes together as it did at this PNNA show.

Not only that, but there are so many forum members in the Seattle/Portland area so they made this show even more fun stopping by, chatting, swapping coin stories and interesting forum stories, and even buying a coin or two. It's this kind of comaraderie and show success that make all the traveling, walking around in very cold cities, hauling coins through airports, setting up/tearing down, sleeping in lumpy beds, etc. very much worth the effort!

After a day of catching up, it'll be time to prepare for Santa Clara! Here we go again....
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report Charmy... I can't help but chuckle- you can't shoot someone standing in front of you without it being blurred or foggy, yet you can shoot crystal clear pics from a moving car. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

<< <i>Nice report Charmy... I can't help but chuckle- you can't shoot someone standing in front of you without it being blurred or foggy, yet you can shoot crystal clear pics from a moving car. image >>

LOL!

I plead ignorance (and ineptness) - my camera phone definitely has a mind of it's own!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file