Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can't believe no proof gold/silver eagles for another year.

How hard is it to acquire blanks??

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The government is not in the business of making money, rather they are in the business of hemorrhaging our money on senseless and wasteful projects like bank bailouts.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats the way it goes alba image. i see bankruptcy in our future
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at this point, I have seen no complaints of blank shortages for ASEs. This is while they are charged with making the National Pucks.

I'm thinking they need to explain why no proof ASEs will be made this year.

(And no complaints of gold blanks either for that matter.)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    At this point in time, it appears as if the US Mint is "thumbing their noses" at us Proof ASE collectors all in the name of following the letter of the law governing the production of bullion ASE's and in the spirit of producing yet another record breaking year for ASE production.

The only real problem I have with the letter of that law is that it specifically refers to "public demand" yet the US Mint does not deal with the US public for bullion ASE's. They have 14 approved vendors. Some within this country while others appear to be offshore entities. (See Below) Production is related to "orders" from these 14 vendors and has absolutely nothing to do with public "demand".

Primarily because, as collectors and members of the US public, we are "demanding" our proof ASE's!

The US Mint's Real "customers"

1. A-Mark Precious Metals, Los Angeles - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    2. Dillon Guage Inc. Dallas - Silver Only
    3. Jack Hunt Coin Brokers, Buffalo NY - Silver Only
    4. Prudential Securities Inc. New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    5. The Gold Center, Springfield, Ill - Silver Only
    6. Coin's 'N Things, Bridgewater MASS - Silver Only
    7. Fidelitrade Inc, Wilmington Del - Silver Only
    8. MTB, New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    9. SCB/Mocatta Bullion, New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum

10. Commerzbank International, Luxembourg/New York City - Silver and Gold
    11. Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt Germany - Silver, Gold Only
    12. Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich - Silver, Gold, Platinum

13. Hang Seng Bank, Hong Kong - Silver, Gold Only
    14. Tinaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K., Tokyo - Gold, Platinum Only
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>How hard is it to acquire blanks?? >>

I am hoping for a real shortage; one that affects the buffalo proofs. I read about this shortage earlier ; went out on a limb and purchased 11 of the buffalo proofsimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping for a real shortage; one that affects the buffalo proofs. I read about this shortage earlier ; went out on a limb and purchased 11 of the buffalo proofs

That might turn out to be a very shrewd move.

Added: Based on the 12,778 current total that is listed in another thread, maybe not as shrewd as I thought, but probably not a bad way to go either.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, Russia, China, Canada, Australia - they are not running out of blanks. This really is an invented problem.

The real blanks are the fools running the US mint.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm, Russia, China, Canada, Australia - they are not running out of blanks. This really is an invented problem.

The real blanks are the fools running the US mint. >>

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Do you think Russia, China et al can get milk spots to stick on their bullion coins like the U.S. Mint can?

I - don't - think - so.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    There will be proof SAEs made in 2010. You can take that to the bank. How soon do you think a run of 800k to 1 million will take to sell out?
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there been an official announcement?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The real blanks are the fools running the US mint.

When Congress requires silver hockey pucks and provides no resources to do it, does that make the mint responsible?

Shiny versions of silver and gold bullion pieces are not required by Congress, but a great many other things are. The mint is limited by equipment, space, staff and money, so it has to prioritize what it can do with what the Congress provides.
  • Options
    are ASEs and AGEs required to be made by US mined metals??
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's always classic commems to collect if they suit ya...image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>

I am hoping for a real shortage; one that affects the buffalo proofs. I read about this shortage earlier ; went out on a limb and purchased 11 of the buffalo proofsimage >>

Well they sold roughly 15,000 2010 $50 proof buffs in the first few days so that bets looking long.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    if they aren't making them then they need to remove the subscription sign up area for them and the "next coin in series is 2010" rigamarole..just because the rest of the government is incompetent, voted in by buffoons, doesnt mean the US Mint has to be too.
  • Options

<< <i>are ASEs and AGEs required to be made by US mined metals?? >>

from the info I posted in this thread, it looks like the ASE, AGE, APE, and even the 5oz National Pucks do not required the metals to be mined in the USA or Territories.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    I remember reading a post here from somebody who said they preferred collecting modern mint issues over the "classics" because they didn't have to deal with all the issues that collectors of older coins had to worry about- counterfeits, doctored coins, etc. I guess that's true, but it appears there are a whole new set of issues to worry about for the moderns collector, aren't there?

Sorry, guys- I hope it all works out for the best.
  • Options

2008W Silver - 444,558
    2008 Silver Proof - 713,353
    2008 Silver Bullion - 19,510,000

2008 Total Silver Eagles alone - 20,667,911

2009 Bullion - 29,134,000

~41% increase
  • Options

<< <i>I remember reading a post here from somebody who said they preferred collecting modern mint issues over the "classics" because they didn't have to deal with all the issues that collectors of older coins had to worry about- counterfeits, doctored coins, etc. I guess that's true, but it appears there are a whole new set of issues to worry about for the moderns collector, aren't there?

Sorry, guys- I hope it all works out for the best. >>

Maybe we would rather collect this

Than this

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember: Uncle Sam wants you, but those other relatives working for him are in the way of his love.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen any official comment regarding proof ASE's at this time. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember reading a post here from somebody who said they preferred collecting modern mint issues over the "classics" because they didn't have to deal with all the issues that collectors of older coins had to worry about- counterfeits, doctored coins, etc. I guess that's true, but it appears there are a whole new set of issues to worry about for the moderns collector, aren't there?

Exactly! And Leonidas illustrates the point very well. And then, there are budget and/or common sense issues. One coin is worn and worth 10,000X Face. The other is freshly-minted and is worth just a bit over melt. There is a point at which gross value trumps nostalgia, especially if you don't have unlimited funds with which to play. Not too many people can ignore the investing aspects of coin collecting. And let's face it, a 1916-D Merc in AG or G isn't really rare and the market for circulated Mercs isn't growing like the market for ASEs. Something to consider.

Ironically, Modern Bullion is more like traditional money than classic coins are - it is extremely liquid, it has intrinsic value, and it is collectible if you like a collection issued in sequence, just like the old coinage. OTOH, after decades of price escalation classic coinage has become something different than when you could collect it from circulation in hopes of finding a valuable coin. The classic coinage is no different now than any other pre-packaged investment - packaged in plastic, certified by experts, sold by a dealer network, and found in various colors and styles to fit your tastes. You can be assured that any coin you buy from a dealer has been evaluated, shopped around, "conserved", and priced for sale many, many, many times over the course of its existance.

When you order from the Mint, you are the "Original Owner". You also have a better chance of "finding" a valuable coin with some careful data monitoring and analysis of Mint production than you do of finding a valuable coin in bulk unsorted coins from a bank or in circulation. You most certainly have a better chance of finding an upgrade, or of making a profit in random shipments from the Mint than you have of buying a slabbed coin from a dealer at the same markup as what the Mint charges for a piece of "collector bullion".

The Mint has never been much different than it is today, except that the offerings were fewer in the old days. It used to be that collector angst was focused on sending in an order for a couple Proof Sets by mail, hoping that your order reached the processing department before they cut off the order acceptance. And then you would wait for about 3 or 4 months before the Mint started shipping. Believe me, that seemed like an eternity. Nobody I know ever made a return because you were lucky just to get your Proof Set or Mint Set.

It's the unpredictability and the slow release of meaningful data that makes new issues from the Mint a challenge. I don't know if that is by chance or by design, but if everyone knew how many of each coin were to be made and released, at which prices and for how long - there would be no chance of market anomalies and less opportunity for snagging one of the Modern rarities when they are released. Eventually supply & demand rule, but initially it is speculation over the Mint's erratic policies and swings in the price of bullion during the release period that make being a Modern collector interesting. And that is one thing that hasn't changed!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    > I can't believe no proof gold/silver eagles for another year.

Not so fast image I posted this in the other ASE proof thread:

Here are photos (NOT "photshopped") of a genuine US Mint 2009 uncirculated Silver Eagle
    (privately "re-manufactured" as a proof):

Marketing and sales of these pieces is yet to be determined.
  • Options
    Whenever the Mint resumes ASE's any bets it will be like the 1921 Morgan... a boat load? As much as I like the ASE design, I believe I'd prefer they change it when they restart. Those holes are just going to bug some collectors anyway.
  • Options
    Some more pictures (these are only a few hours old):

• Options
    Luke----I sense a terrible disturbance in the Force!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those 2009 proofs are pretty cool image

I'm sure the mintage number of those will blow the 1995-W away!!! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dcarr, please let me know when they will be available.... PM the price etc. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Luke----I sense a terrible disturbance in the Force!!!!! >>

Yes, Luke, come on over to the dark (Moonlight) side !
  • Options

<< <i>Those 2009 proofs are pretty cool image

I'm sure the mintage number of those will blow the 1995-W away!!! image >>

The lowest mintage Silver Eagle (so far) is the 1995-W proof at about 30,000+.
    I don't think I'll be making that many image
  • Options
    Counterfeits, or openly promoting mutilated silver bullion pieces, as something which they are not - "disturbed" seems to be an appropriate term.
  • Options

<< <i>Counterfeits, or openly promoting mutilated silver bullion pieces, as something which they are not - "disturbed" seems to be an appropriate term. >>

"Mutilated" implies crude and/or random damage to the coin. These are privately "re-manufactured", "counter-stamped", "overstruck". You can choose the term. But "mutilated" isn't quite accurate.

PS:
    These are NOT being promoted as something they are not. At this point they are not being promoted at all. But if and when they are, they will be advertised as privately-modified Silver Eagle coins (which is entirely accurate). The coins are NOT counterfeits. They are genuine US Silver Eagles that have been altered. There is a significant difference between "counterfeit" and "altered", especially in terms of legality.
  • Options
    " I can't believe no proof gold/silver eagles for another year "

I could have sworn I read somewhere about the rules of this message board concerning the "Original Post"

Maybe some of you didn't read it.
  • Options
    "Mutilated" implies crude and/or random damage to the coin. These are privately "re-manufactured", "counter-stamped", "overstruck". You can choose the term. But "mutilated" isn't quite accurate.

In my opinion, "mutilated" is completely accurate and appropriate – your mutilations are “crude and/or random damage to the coin.” You propose to mutilate legal tender and place yourself in a position little different than Chinese making "remanufactured Trade Dollars" and the like.

Additionally, you have the gall to stick your initials on the mutilated coins as if you designed them. What a disturbed perversion…..
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>> I can't believe no proof gold/silver eagles for another year.

Not so fast image I posted this in the other ASE proof thread:

Here are photos (NOT "photshopped") of a genuine US Mint 2009 uncirculated Silver Eagle
    (privately "re-manufactured" as a proof):

Marketing and sales of these pieces is yet to be determined. >>

I hope you've got a good lawyer if you're planning on selling those as is. image Need to change the "one dollar" to "one amero"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Well....maybe Mr. Carr is pulling the collective leg, and these are all electronic creations of his design software, not real ASEs.
  • Options
    I sincerely hope that Daniel is pulling our collective legs, as IMHO selling coins altered like this would be a horrible mistake. The original owners would know what they were getting, but innocent dupes WILL get taken down the line.

They might be legal, just as the various coins altered by the addition of paint and/or stickers are legal, but they would be a pox upon the hobby.

Daniel.......put down the transmogrifier ray, have a beer, and reflect upon the wisdom of this idea.

TD
  • Options

<< <i>"Mutilated" implies crude and/or random damage to the coin. These are privately "re-manufactured", "counter-stamped", "overstruck". You can choose the term. But "mutilated" isn't quite accurate.

In my opinion, "mutilated" is completely accurate and appropriate – your mutilations are “crude and/or random damage to the coin.” You propose to mutilate legal tender and place yourself in a position little different than Chinese making "remanufactured Trade Dollars" and the like.

Additionally, you have the gall to stick your initials on the mutilated coins as if you designed them. What a disturbed perversion….. >>

The original designer's initials ("JM") are still there. The "DC" is a mint mark, placed where the US Mint puts the "W" on their proofs. Would you prefer that I not put a mint mark at all ? At least with the "DC", the origin is known. The alterations are anything but crude/random. You can ignore the coins. You should reserve your "disturbed perversion" label for those that really deserve it - like Catholic priests who molest children.

PS:
    The Chinese are illegally making un-marked outright counterfeits of legal-tender US coins. I'm not making counterfieits, I'm legally altering common (genuine) US coins, and I'm marking them in such a way that they can easily be identified. Not really any different than painted Silver Eagles or Silver Eagles with holograms stuck on them.
  • Options

<< <i>Well....maybe Mr. Carr is pulling the collective leg, and these are all electronic creations of his design software, not real ASEs. >>

The photos are real. The coins, as shown, exist.
  • Options
    perhaps they have the same reaction to colorized and hologram coins.... except maybe worse since these were made to appear PL when none were produced by the Mint.
  • Options

<< <i>perhaps they have the same reaction to colorized and hologram coins.... except maybe worse since these were made to appear PL when none were produced by the Mint. >>

I doubt that any painted or hologam-stickered Silver Eagle coin has ever gone up in value from the issue price, except for increses due to higher silver prices.

I think things could very well be different for these 2009-DC proofs, but no guarantees.

Before prceeding, I'm going to attempt to get the US Mint's reaction to them. I doubt they will like the idea, but I'm looking for confirmation of their legality.
  • Options
    do they qualify as proofs?
  • Options

<< <i>do they qualify as proofs? >>

Of course, the US Mint did not manufacture any 2009 PROOF Silver Eagles. Up to this point, all "bullion" Silver Eagles minted for mass distribution to distributors have not had any mint marks. However, all proof issues have a mint mark ("W", "P", or "S"). A few non-proof "uncirculated" Silver Eagles with "W" mint marks were also sold by the US Mint to collectors.

Many people have complained about the Mint not making any 2009 proof Silver Eagles - they had been made every year from 1986-2008. I'm attempting to fill that void (like any business person would do - supply a product that the market wants). But probably only a small fraction of Silver Eagle collectors would want my version, as a novelty piece - and I don't expect to sell a lot of them (if any).

But to answer your question, they look a lot like regular proof Silver Eagles. But I would call them a privately-altered "proof-like" version with a "DC" mint mark, made from genuine non-proof 2009 Silver Eagles that originally had no mint mark.
  • Options
  • Options
    … attempting to fill that void (like any business person would do - supply a product that the market wants).

…sounds a lot like the excuse of people who whiz coins, or polish them, or laser to change the original surface, or putty, or add a mintmark or tool a coin – all mutilations of an original coin. I sure hope it has not become “Dr. Carr.”

WL halves have a lot of “holes” in the series. Why not mutilate some to fill those spots? ... no shiny “proof” 1935 halves?...no problem, just polish up a bunch and help collectors “fill that void.”

Do you actually believe ANY collector of ASEs, particularly slabbed ones, would put one of those crude abominations in their collection? What happens to the pride of ownership?

Given positive contributions of the past, one can only presume there has been some sort of traumatic event to place Mr. Carr on the path presented in earlier posts.

I have nothing more to say.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember reading a post here from somebody who said they preferred collecting modern mint issues over the "classics" because they didn't have to deal with all the issues that collectors of older coins had to worry about- counterfeits, doctored coins, etc. I guess that's true, but it appears there are a whole new set of issues to worry about for the moderns collector, aren't there?
    >>

......................................................................................................................

That may have been me commenting on why I liked moderns.

Yes I hate the shortage of product but make no mistake about it..............my wheels are turning watching for a chance to profit from the mints antics.

A very selfish/self serving part of me would like to see a late year low mintage run that i could profit from.

I suspect I'm not alone.....................
  • Options

<< <i>… attempting to fill that void (like any business person would do - supply a product that the market wants).

…sounds a lot like the excuse of people who whiz coins, or polish them, or laser to change the original surface, or putty, or add a mintmark or tool a coin – all mutilations of an original coin. I sure hope it has not become “Dr. Carr.”

WL halves have a lot of “holes” in the series. Why not mutilate some to fill those spots? ... no shiny “proof” 1935 halves?...no problem, just polish up a bunch and help collectors “fill that void.”

Do you actually believe ANY collector of ASEs, particularly slabbed ones, would put one of those crude abominations in their collection? What happens to the pride of ownership?

Given positive contributions of the past, one can only presume there has been some sort of traumatic event to place Mr. Carr on the path presented in earlier posts.

I have nothing more to say. >>

The difference is that the "coin doctors" do their work to deceive and defraud. They don't put a visible identifying mark on their work. They don't tell the buyers about the work. I'm not "mutilating" a rare collector coin. 35 million 2009 Silver Eagles exist.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>I'm not "mutilating" a rare collector coin. 35 million 2009 Silver Eagles exist. >>

repurposing -- appropriating
  • Options
    How much do these coins weigh after they are gelded?
  • Options

<< <i>How much do these coins weigh after they are gelded? >>

Exactly the same as before. No metal is added or removed.
    Out of curiosity I just weighed 3 random 2009-DC proofs and
    they all registered exactly 31.2 grams each.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file