Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The NGC star and MS Franklins: Part 3: 2010

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
In July 2006 I stumbled upon a 1949-S MS65*FBL Franklin at a small local show. I was a very happy camper as '49-S's are a tougher coin to find 1) with FBL and 2) with nice toning. I looked at the NGC census to find out how rare * Franklins were. I figured that 1958-D's would be the most common, with maybe 1957-D's and 1956's right up there. What really intrigued me was to see how rare these puppies were. Here's something I wrote on the TCCS forums at the time, (7/31/06)...

"I was at a local coin show this weekend and stumbled upon a 1949-S Frankie in NGC MS 65*FBL. It was a date/mintmark that I needed, so for a mixture of a 1947 Walker and some cash it was purchased. '49-S's are a tough coin to find with toning, so it is not a spectacular piece..., but the coin is pretty for the date/mintmark. Anyhow, I knew that * Frankies are few and far between, but, being bored on a saturday night, I checked out/compiled the NGC stats. There are a total of 65,360 MS and 13,194 MSFBL Frankies graded at NGC (in this case MS includes all the circulated grades too), a grand total of 78,554 Frankies. For all these tens of thousands of Frankies there are 134 MS* and 62 MS*FBL Frankies, a grand total of 196 * Frankies for the whole series. To put it another way, for every THOUSAND Frankies graded at NGC aproximately 2.5 will get a star and less than 0.8 will get a star FBL. It really brought home to me just how difficult it is to find a nicely toned Frankie, particularly with FBL."

In June 2008 I did an update on the difficulty of finding NGC * Franklins. Here is what I wrote then,"today I decided to see what has happened in the intervening ~ 2 years. Using todays (6/15/08) current census report there are now 72,872 non-fbl and 16,139 FBL Frankies graded, for a grand total of 89,011. Of these there are 173 non-fbl* and 77 FBL* Frankies, for a grand total of 250. The absolute percent has changed a bit, but is still EXCEEDINGLY small. To put it another way, during this time span there were 7,512 non-fbl Frankies graded with 39 getting a star... roughly 0.52% There were 2,945 FBL's graded with 15 getting a star, again roughly 0.51%. In essence for roughly every 200 Frankies graded 1 will get a star.

Oh, and while the 1958-D was the most common, it now numbers 49 total stars, e.g. ~20% of all starred Frankies, the other top five most common dates rather surprised me (except for the '58-P). In order after the '58-D (49) they were; '53-S (25), '52-S (16), '49-S (15) and '58 (13). Almost 2/3 of all stars come from just 7 date/mm's (e.g. 1/5 of the date/mm's)."

After Erwindoc's recent post ATS about the star and Franklins I decided to update the statistics. As of 6/1/10 there are now 80,337 non-fbl and 19,927 FBL Frankies graded (and 16 PL Frankies), for a grand total of 100,240. Of these there are 206 non-fbl* and 98 FBL* Frankies, for a grand total of 304. During this time span there were 7,465 non-fbl Frankies graded with 33 getting a star... roughly 0.44% There were 3,788 FBL's graded with 21 getting a star, roughly 0.55%. In total, roughly 0.48% of graded Franklins in the last 2 years has gotten a star. In essence for roughly every 200 Frankies graded 1 will get a star.

As you can see, the last 2 years statistics are comparable to the previous 2 years for % of Franklins getting the star, but it has gotten even a little tougher. The '58-D is still BY FAR the most common, 73, roughly 1 in 4 of all stars. In order the other top 5 are '53-S (27), '52-S (19), '49-S (18) and '58 (14).

Of course no post about * Franklins would be complete without a picture of one, so here is the '49-S that got me started thinking about the difficulty of finding * Franklins.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the very informative thread Skyman. Now i know a little bit more about the series i love to collect.image
  • Options
    I would guestimate that over a 5 year period I submitted around 200 to 220 frankies, all toned......and I believe I have made between 10 and 15 star Frankies. I probably thought at least 50 of the frankies submitted would star but alas....their idea of eye appeal and mine are surely different image

So it would seem a did a bit better than your average but these coins were all hand picked out of original double mint sets and all had pleaseing to exceptional color so I would expect my star return rate to be a bit higher then random submission the included untoned examples.

Good Post.....makes me want to send in some more frankies image
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I recently bought a 1949-S 50c NGC MS64 that was fully PL and FBL. It was graded before NGC started using the PL designation. I cracked and submitted and it graded MS65*(star) without the PL or FBL designation. It's going back in for a designation review. Hopefully it will keep it's star status but I'm confident on it getting the PL and FBL this time.

imageimage
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank's for the update. My question now is why. Do Franklin 's have such poor eye appeal that most don't make the star? It isn't my series, yet it's one I would d like to start. Perhaps other experts can offer their opinion.
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Skyman.... nice analysis and find.
    Here is my 49S treasure...

Coiny
  • Options

<< <i>Skyman.... nice analysis and find.
    Here is my 49S treasure...

image >>

I am assuming this coin is a lot more colorful than the picture leads on??? 66*FBL...impressive image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>In July 2006 I stumbled upon a 1949-S MS65*FBL Franklin at a small local show. I was a very happy camper as '49-S's are a tougher coin to find 1) with FBL and 2) with nice toning. I looked at the NGC census to find out how rare * Franklins were. I figured that 1958-D's would be the most common, with maybe 1957-D's and 1956's right up there. What really intrigued me was to see how rare these puppies were. Here's something I wrote on the TCCS forums at the time, (7/31/06)...

"I was at a local coin show this weekend and stumbled upon a 1949-S Frankie in NGC MS 65*FBL. It was a date/mintmark that I needed, so for a mixture of a 1947 Walker and some cash it was purchased. '49-S's are a tough coin to find with toning, so it is not a spectacular piece..., but the coin is pretty for the date/mintmark. Anyhow, I knew that * Frankies are few and far between, but, being bored on a saturday night, I checked out/compiled the NGC stats. There are a total of 65,360 MS and 13,194 MSFBL Frankies graded at NGC (in this case MS includes all the circulated grades too), a grand total of 78,554 Frankies. For all these tens of thousands of Frankies there are 134 MS* and 62 MS*FBL Frankies, a grand total of 196 * Frankies for the whole series. To put it another way, for every THOUSAND Frankies graded at NGC aproximately 2.5 will get a star and less than 0.8 will get a star FBL. It really brought home to me just how difficult it is to find a nicely toned Frankie, particularly with FBL."

In June 2008 I did an update on the difficulty of finding NGC * Franklins. Here is what I wrote then,"today I decided to see what has happened in the intervening ~ 2 years. Using todays (6/15/08) current census report there are now 72,872 non-fbl and 16,139 FBL Frankies graded, for a grand total of 89,011. Of these there are 173 non-fbl* and 77 FBL* Frankies, for a grand total of 250. The absolute percent has changed a bit, but is still EXCEEDINGLY small. To put it another way, during this time span there were 7,512 non-fbl Frankies graded with 39 getting a star... roughly 0.52% There were 2,945 FBL's graded with 15 getting a star, again roughly 0.51%. In essence for roughly every 200 Frankies graded 1 will get a star.

Oh, and while the 1958-D was the most common, it now numbers 49 total stars, e.g. ~20% of all starred Frankies, the other top five most common dates rather surprised me (except for the '58-P). In order after the '58-D (49) they were; '53-S (25), '52-S (16), '49-S (15) and '58 (13). Almost 2/3 of all stars come from just 7 date/mm's (e.g. 1/5 of the date/mm's)."

After Erwindoc's recent post ATS about the star and Franklins I decided to update the statistics. As of 6/1/10 there are now 80,337 non-fbl and 19,927 FBL Frankies graded (and 16 PL Frankies), for a grand total of 100,240. Of these there are 206 non-fbl* and 98 FBL* Frankies, for a grand total of 304. During this time span there were 7,465 non-fbl Frankies graded with 33 getting a star... roughly 0.44% There were 3,788 FBL's graded with 21 getting a star, roughly 0.55%. In total, roughly 0.48% of graded Franklins in the last 2 years has gotten a star. In essence for roughly every 200 Frankies graded 1 will get a star.

As you can see, the last 2 years statistics are comparable to the previous 2 years for % of Franklins getting the star, but it has gotten even a little tougher. The '58-D is still BY FAR the most common, 73, roughly 1 in 4 of all stars. In order the other top 5 are '53-S (27), '52-S (19), '49-S (18) and '58 (14).

Of course no post about * Franklins would be complete without a picture of one, so here is the '49-S that got me started thinking about the difficulty of finding * Franklins.

image >>

get out of here man ! That's some awesome research you have done , and great info to tuck away

...........but I can't stand to see that 49-S anymore - I just can't take it ..........

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>Thank's for the update. My question now is why. Do Franklin 's have such poor eye appeal that most don't make the star? It isn't my series, yet it's one I would d like to start. Perhaps other experts can offer their opinion. >>

.......to answer your question , a similar study would have to be done in other series to get an idea of what the "norm" is for *star coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file