Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CONTURSI SELLS THE 1794 $1 FOR ALMOST $8 MILLION!

1794 silver dollar sells for record $7.85 mn
21 May 2010, 0613 hrs IST,AGENCIES

LOS ANGELES: What may be America's oldest silver dollar has become the world's most expensive coin, with its owner saying it changed hands in a
private transaction between coin collectors for nearly $8 million.

Steven L. Contursi, who has owned the mint-condition 1794 Liberty dollar for the past seven years, confirmed Thursday that he sold it to the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation of California for $7.85 million.

The previous record price paid for a coin was $7.59 million for a US-minted 1933 $20 gold piece, according to the American Numismatic Association.

The US began producing silver dollars in 1794, and this particular one remains in near-perfect condition 216 years later. That being the case, the price it fetched was not surprising, said professional coin grader David Hall. "Even if it looks like it's been run over by a truck it would still be worth a hundred grand," he said.

Part of the so-called flowing-hair silver dollars, the coin has a portrait of Lady Liberty with long, straight hair on the front and a noticeably skinny American eagle on the back. "That's the type of piece that is available maybe once in a lifetime," said Martin Logies, curator of the Cardinal Collection, a nonprofit dedicated to preserving rare coins and educating the public about them. He said the foundation plans to put the coin on display, just as Contursi did much of the time he owned it.

Numismatic experts say it was among the first US silver dollars ever made. "From the research I've done, it is unquestionably the earliest struck of all the pieces known to remain in existence," said Logies, author of ``The Flowing Hair Silver Dollars of 1794.''

Of the approximately 1,750 such dollars produced that year, only about 150 are known to exist. The quality of the imprint on this one shows it was struck on a hand-cranked press from a special piece of polished, high-quality silver. That indicates it was intended for either a dignitary or the mint's own private collection, said Larry Shepherd, executive director of the American Numismatic Association.

It likely remained in the mint's collection until the 1800s, Shepherd said, when it was probably traded to a private collector, something he said the mint sometimes did in those days. Contursi, who runs California-based Rare Coin Wholesalers, acquired it for an undisclosed sum in 2003. He said he wasn't looking to sell it until Logies approached him.

The Cardinal Collection curator had been one of a handful of experts Contursi had allowed to examine the coin after he bought it. He joked that Logies had had his eye on it ever since. "He just finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse," he laughed.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the grade of this coin?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I not very excited about this?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the grade of this coin? >>

PCGS SP-66

At least the coin will remain in the public's eye, given the intent of the new owner. IMHO the sale price was structured specifically to elevate it above the sale price of the Fenton 1933 Double Eagle, for obvious reasons.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    I can't pay my damn taxes let alone buy a $10,000.00 coin!

Good for Logies. He is a world class collector and nice guy. More power to him since he has the bucks.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the press release, it has not yet happened. image
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

According to the press release, it has not yet happened.

So we still have a shot at it.........image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>According to the press release, it has not yet happened.

So we still have a shot at it.........image >>

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    tjc2120tjc2120 Posts: 714
    Help me out - adjustment marks are made before the strike. Right?
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this one on display at the L.A. ANA show last year and it was pretty special. image

Anyone know anything about the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation of California? Any chance they have their collection on display for an average joe off the street??? image
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a centering dot on the reverse?
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would rather have a circulated G 6 image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>I saw this one on display at the L.A. ANA show last year and it was pretty special. image

Anyone know anything about the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation of California? Any chance they have their collection on display for an average joe off the street??? image >>

Cardinal is a member here (by that name). I'd love to hear him chime in. This site was made by Cardinal and is EXTREMELY usefull as an attribution guide for bust dollars. Also, the guy owns a mediocre half disme ( image ) as well as some nice red large cents image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

WE already have it...since we count Cardinal among our members. Congrats Cardinal. --Jerry
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    What doesn't make sense about Shephards theory of this coin is (as quoted above) "that it indicates it was intended for either a dignitary or the mint's own private collection".

To me, what doesn't make sense is, if this coin wasn't meant for circulation (an implied result of both the preservation of this coin and Shephards theory) and meant for The Mint Cabinet or a Dignitary, why would it have adjustment marks, and so many?

Wouldn't you want to present a coin without negative eye-appeal (a coin without adjustment marks; essentially perfect)? (Remember, it was not meant for circulation if Shephards theory holds up!)

I'm just trying to settle any unsubstanciated theories.

Nice coin by the way imageimage
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Also, it makes a great companion to his MS68RB 1794 copper pattern
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

WE already have it...since we count Cardinal among our members. Congrats Cardinal. --Jerry >>

This is a nice way to look at things, since we all show our coins and share our knowledge around hereimage---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Oh my lord.....That coin is the ultimate to me or very close. Congratulations to Cardinal!!

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    Youd think they would try and avoid adjustment marks at all costs if this coin was meant with a special resicpient in mind.
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to the full news release with additional information.

Text of illustrated news release at CoinLink

Mumu brought up an excellent point: why adjustment marks on what is supposed to be a specially made coin? Perhaps we're putting 21st century mindset into 18th century circumstances. I had several conversations back in early 2004 with Ken Bressett, John Dannreuther and others who examined the coin and believe it was either the first silver dollar struck or certainly among the very first because of the die state. If I recall correctly, one or more them said it appears that the Mint wanted the coin to be absolutely perfect in weight (as well as strike), so it probably was first plugged to bring up the planchet's weight, then filed to remove excess. It's obvious this coin was carefully struck. It was a huge achievement and international political statement in 1794 for the young United States to produce a crown-sized silver coin.

Perhaps I'm dead wrong about the above. I'd love to hear from others much more knowledgable about those early days at the Mint in Philadelphia.

-donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, even adjustment marks do not bother me that much on that coin.
    The strike on the hair is incredibleimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Help me out - adjustment marks are made before the strike. Right? >>

Yes.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I was able to spend some quality one on one time with this coin and it is very nice.
    I dunno if I would spend my money (and that much of it) on it though...
    Perhaps if it was a 64 Peace Dollar...
    I had to pack it to send it away too :-(
    - Robin
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    What a lovely coin!!! Do you think the new owner will send it to PCGS and try for a 66+ image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Adjustment marks seem sort of tastefully done, if they had to be there thats the way I would want them to look -----------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't get any better than this... image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beast.............Major congrat's! MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw this one on display at the L.A. ANA show last year and it was pretty special. image

Anyone know anything about the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation of California? Any chance they have their collection on display for an average joe off the street??? image >>

Cardinal is a member here (by that name). I'd love to hear him chime in. This site was made by Cardinal and is EXTREMELY usefull as an attribution guide for bust dollars. Also, the guy owns a mediocre half disme ( image ) as well as some nice red large cents image >>

Thanks, I was wondering if it was the same as Cardinal on the forum here... CONGRATS!!!!! image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Super Nice!!!! Congrat's to the Cardinal Collection!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monster coin - congrats to both parties. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    that basically is the pinnacle of coin beauty to me. congrats to the new owner.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Do you think the new owner will send it to PCGS and try for a 66+?"

Why bother? It may come back AU-58 on the wrong day!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's always been a dream coin of mine. Congrats to Martin.

Congrats to Steve, too - that's quite the price realized.
  • Options

<< <i>"Do you think the new owner will send it to PCGS and try for a 66+?"

Why bother? It may come back AU-58 on the wrong day! >>

I'd send it back in and have the Contursi portion of the pedigree removed and replaced with Cardinal.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    That is an amazing, really amazing piece of U.S. history. Congratulations to both the buyer and the seller.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'd send it back in and have the Contursi portion of the pedigree removed and replaced with Cardinal. >>

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Congrats, Cardinal, on your historic purchase.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd send it back in and have the Contursi portion of the pedigree removed and replaced with Cardinal. >>

-Paul >>

Let me rephrase that... I'd walk it through, as I'm sure an $8M coin ain't being sent image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it more likely that the coin was a test strike for the silver plug planchet concept than a presentation piece. But either way it's still a great piece - the Amon Carter 1794. image
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    They even showed this on the local new today, BUT the coin they showed a picture of was NOT really that coin. The just showed a generic stand in and it looked like a scrubed to death AU. I thought my gwad 8 mil for that thing? image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Amazing how so few facts are turned into such an elaborate story. Still, it's an amazing example of the first silver dollars.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Cardinal, on your purchase.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...that's impressive. Congrats to all involved!
    Lance.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be worth doing the SecurePlus for this one...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Cardinal!!!

Thought you were done with dollars -- guess not. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    No Plus, no sticker, and therefore no interest. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights