Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: 1959-D Wheat Cent
Created On Sunday May 09, 2010 6:36 PM
Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]

MrEureka
Coin Hound

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:36 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

What will this coin bring?

-------------------------
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic. Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Bottom

1tommy
Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:51 PM

User is online View users profile View thread in raw text format

thats a cool one of a kind and a great story ................

My Registry Set.......Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and so Are Those who teach us what to search For.

Bottom

Coinosaurus
Master Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:52 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

"It is important to note here that this coin will not be confiscated as the Treasury Department has returned the coin twice to the owner after reviewing the coin and returning it as genuine."

That's nice to say, and somewhat reassuring, but would they indemnify the new owner to that effect? I doubt it.

As for value I'd guess $100K. Neat coin.

Liberty Seated Collector's Club, www.lsccweb.org

Bottom

ambro51
Esoteric Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:52 PM

User is online View thread in raw text format

Thats a coin that could be a legend. Id never read such detailed examination records before and it seems to be genuine, at least, according to the US Goverment.

so....they say 40-50K? Id buy at that price...yes I would. If it goes into a PCGS or NGC holder the value goes up 5X instantly.

No doubt there is a old man living in Colorado who is keeping a BIG secret.

Bottom

Aegis3
Expert Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:53 PM

Either $74,750 or fails to meet reserve.

--
Ed. S.
(EJS)
Which side are you on?

Bottom

GoldenEyeNumismatics
Young Blood

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:57 PM

$103,500

Link to my eBay listings.....
Yankee Coins, Inc.

Bottom

bolivarshagnasty
Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:58 PM

Andy, Thanks, a great read. I'll guess 100k+ on the auction. Shag

The Ocoee Collection/ 1909 Mint Set with Gold and Major Varieties
Bolivarshagnasty's Rainbow Morgan Mint Mark Set

Bottom

Katrina

Sunday May 09, 2010 6:59 PM

Holy Chit

Bottom

savoyspecial
Master Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 7:10 PM

Mark Hofmann took credit for making this mule (albeit while in custody)

Bottom

MsMorrisine
Choose Your Title

Sunday May 09, 2010 7:13 PM

could the Secure Plus computer system be helpful with identifying different dies for 59D and 58D in an effort to shed light on its legitimacy?

BST's: me as a buyer: mbogoman, smokincoin, INXS, Raybob15239, 57loaded, Bochiman, wondercoin, drwstr123, weather11am & seller: wondercoin

Bottom

Coinosaurus
Master Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 7:19 PM

I suspect if PCGS could match the dies they would have already made a big deal about it - it would have been awesome publicity for SecurePlus.

Liberty Seated Collector's Club, www.lsccweb.org

Bottom

wondercoin
Patterns to Plats, MS to Mattes

Sunday May 09, 2010 7:56 PM

The last time the Goldbergs had this coin up for auction, if I recall they pulled it shortly before the auction. What was that all about again?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Bottom

CaptHenway
2009 Numismatist of the Year

Sunday May 09, 2010 9:12 PM

FWIW, around 1975 or 1976 Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse received a letter asking if we would like to see a 1959-D cent that had been authenticated by ANACS. I replied that we would.

The coin arrived, accompanied by an ANACS certificate from the Washington, D.C. office. Future ANACS Authenticator Ed Fleischmann and I both examined the coin, and thought that the second 9 had been skillfully altered. I contacted ANACS Director Charles Hoskins about the coin, and he checked their records and verified that they had inded authenticated the coin.

However, until I mentioned it, he was not familiar with the fact that a 1959 cent should have a Memorial reverse. He said that they received many common, ordinary coins for certification, and nobody there had realized that the coin was unusual. They just blew it through with a cursory glance and certified it. We returned the coin to the owner along with our opinion of it.

I do not believe that the Goldberg coin (which I have seen in person) is the same coin as the one I saw in the 1970s, but because of the great gap between viewings I cannot be sure.

TD

I just love "The Colbert Report" and "The Daily Show!" Funniest things on television!

Bottom

WoodenJefferson
Master Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 9:22 PM

I read the same story about Hoffman claiming to have produced this mule in his basement, utilizing an explosion impact die process. He claimed to have made 16-D Merc Dimes the same way.

True or not, it just lends to the mystery.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Bottom

melvin289
Expert Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 9:29 PM

Having had operated machinery like the mint uses to make coins I can see where the error could have happened. Since the obverse and reverse dies are placed into the die sets separately, it is possible that a wheat cent reverse die were mistakenly mixed in with memorial dies and placed in the die set. Upon inspecting the quality of the newly installed dies the operator would have attempted to pick out the error coins. The coins are fed into a bin after being struck. Suppose the coin bin were half full. There is a chance one error was overlooked or too much trouble to look for any further. Although doubtful, it is possible that the coin error was just a mistake and an example overlooked and got out of the mint. This is just speculation on my part. I'm just saying it could be a legitimate mistake.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Bottom

CaptHenway
2009 Numismatist of the Year

Sunday May 09, 2010 9:39 PM

<< I read the same story about Hoffman claiming to have produced this mule in his basement, utilizing an explosion impact die process. He claimed to have made 16-D Merc Dimes the same way.

True or not, it just lends to the mystery.
>>

I have read the book. I do not find it credible.
TD

I just love "The Colbert Report" and "The Daily Show!" Funniest things on television!

Bottom

WoodenJefferson
Master Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 9:50 PM

In response to Melvin289:

Sure thing it can happen that way, but think about it happening in a "transitional " year where you have a complete reverse design change, the set-up man is bound to look at the die face during installation. The obverse & reverse dies are configured so they cannot be swapped, they just won't fit, also flats on the side of the die orient the dies to maintain the coin flip rotation.

Then you have some test strikes...with close examination of the product about to be produced. Is it possible to overlook the reverse not being Memorial?

If anything, this was a clandestine midnight mint creation, smuggled out of the Denver Mint, like untold 1,000's of other errors that find their way to the market place.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Edited: Sunday May 09, 2010 at 9:54 PM by WoodenJefferson

Bottom

Batman23
Collector

Sunday May 09, 2010 10:58 PM

<< FWIW, around 1975 or 1976 Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse received a letter asking if we would like to see a 1959-D cent that had been authenticated by ANACS. I replied that we would.

The coin arrived, accompanied by an ANACS certificate from the Washington, D.C. office. Future ANACS Authenticator Ed Fleischmann and I both examined the coin, and thought that the second 9 had been skillfully altered. I contacted ANACS Director Charles Hoskins about the coin, and he checked their records and verified that they had inded authenticated the coin.

However, until I mentioned it, he was not familiar with the fact that a 1959 cent should have a Memorial reverse. He said that they received many common, ordinary coins for certification, and nobody there had realized that the coin was unusual. They just blew it through with a cursory glance and certified it. We returned the coin to the owner along with our opinion of it.

I do not believe that the Goldberg coin (which I have seen in person) is the same coin as the one I saw in the 1970s, but because of the great gap between viewings I cannot be sure.

TD
>>

Interesting, I had to look. In the linked photo I see that the second 9 is thinner than the first 9. But looking at the 59-Ds in the registry sets I see that they also have the same characteristics. With the United States Secret Service Office of Investigations Counterfeit Division's report this looks like it might be the real thing.

Bottom

droopyd
Master Collector

Monday May 10, 2010 2:14 AM

If I had the money I'd easily pay $100k (even if it turned out to be a fake).

Me at the Springfield coin show:

50 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Bottom

droopyd
Master Collector

Monday May 10, 2010 2:14 AM

<< If anything, this was a clandestine midnight mint creation, smuggled out of the Denver Mint, like untold 1,000's of other errors that find their way to the market place. >>

Me at the Springfield coin show:

50 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
FORUMS > U.S. COIN FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.